Daily apsirin

Speed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Speed
I just finished my CPR training... the EMT teaching the class said we (long haul international pilots) should all be taking daily aspirin no matter our history or age due to us sitting for long periods of time. I'm curious if anyone else has heard this suggestion.

"If aspirin were invented today it would need a prescription". That is what a doctor told me as we peddled our way across Nebraska in 1986 on the annual 500 mile bike ride cross state ride. I have been taking an aspirin a day ever since. The list of things positive he rattled off was amazing.

1. Reduced strokes.
2. May prevent cancer.
3. Increases blood flow.
4. Helps rehydration and prevents headaches.
5. Prevents hangovers.
6. Reduces swelling.

I've been a firm believer in aspirin therapy since 1986. One of the reasons you don't hear too much about it is Dr.s don't make money off of well people or aspirin.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829484

Last edited:
I take a baby aspirin daily.

But it seems like the most recent clinical studies have cast some doubt on the practice as a general rule.

Our bodies are in a fairly precise balance without drugs. What I mean is, blood that's too "thick" and clots too easily carries a lot of the dangers that aspirin alleviates. But blood that is too "thin" and does not coagulate normally also has downsides - small bleeds that otherwise would have healed may not in the presence of blood thinners, including aspirin. Plus there can be gastrointestinal issues with aspirin.

Hence the current state where only those with certain risk factors are having daily aspirin recommended to them.

And back to the OP, sitting still for extended periods may, in fact, be one of those risk factors.

For now, I am continuing to take mine.

I heard the same thing when i started flying long haul freight flights across africa in 1991. I've taken one every day since and I haven't had a single stroke or heart attack. So the evidence it works is incontrovertible.;)

I will add to geicos list, I take aspirin after a sunburn.
After a mild to moderate sunburn aspirin daily for a week or so will prevent or lessen the significance of a peel. Hard to say the mechanism of action. Possibly due to increasing blood flow through capillaries or inhibition of arachidonic acid and thus anti inflammatory effect.

There are risks and potential benefits of daily aspirin which must be weighed on a case by case basis. There are different dosages which may be chosen. It is an issue best discussed with your physician who is familiar with your history.

I, too, take a daily 81mg ASA - but not for the reason stated.
ASA has utility in primary prevention of ARTERIAL events, but has no proven efficacy in prevention of VENOUS thromboembolic events such as the lower extremity deep venous thrombosis seen in prolonged sedentary position.

As per 2012 recommendations of American College of Chest Physicians guidelines

Last edited:
There have been folks who have dropped dead when getting off a long haul flight due to blood clots. Not a ton but it happens. Last one that stood out to me was a woman who was returning from the Olympics in Sydney dropped dead shortly after deplaning in London. Always good to drink plenty of water and walk around a bit on long haul flights.

There have been folks who have dropped dead when getting off a long haul flight due to blood clots. Not a ton but it happens. Last one that stood out to me was a woman who was returning from the Olympics in Sydney dropped dead shortly after deplaning in London. Always good to drink plenty of water and walk around a bit on long haul flights.
Yeah, but the last time I tried to walk around on a flight back from Spain, the flight attendant told me I had to sit down. TSA rules you know.

Long flights and prolonged sitting situations can be remedied by several exercises you can do and remain seated.

Google it for 100's of suggestions.

Re: Daily aspsirin

You'll figure out pretty quick what your gut can stand with regards to aspirin. I take one daily. No problems with coagulation if the surface leaks are any indication.

Best practice is to take it at night going to bed as most heart attacks apparently happen in the morning

There is a price to pay ,if you take to strong a dose of aspirin. The stomach doesn't tolerate high doses of aspirin. Check with your doctor. Also look into leg exercises while seated in the airplane.

There is a price to pay ,if you take to strong a dose of aspirin. The stomach doesn't tolerate high doses of aspirin. Check with your doctor. Also look into leg exercises while seated in the airplane.

I've been taking it for over 30 years. Never had an issue. :dunno:

The common dose is the baby aspirin, 81 mg. Larger doses prescribed by your physician for unusual situations. I've had a variety of physicians over the years (dad's dr, mom's dr, mine, ame's, etc) all limit to 81 mg.

If you're going to have surgery, most, if not all of the time, the pre-op is to stop the aspirin a week or so before surgery.

Be careful with it if you're taking other medications / supplements with blood-thinning properties (garlic and ginkgo biloba come to mind... there surely are others).

Disclosure: I am not a doctor. I'm not even especially smart.

Rich

Aspirin can have serious effects on the gastric mucosa. Everything I know about physiology and biochemistry suggests that constant exposure will lead to tolerance and attenuation of effects (having more around tends to lead to increased levels of the enzymes used to process the stuff). Can't really find anything that backs me up, but my google-fu isn't terribly strong.

Then again, if you aren't having any gastric problems I doubt one a day will hurt anything...

Aspirin can have serious effects on the gastric mucosa. Everything I know about physiology and biochemistry suggests that constant exposure will lead to tolerance and attenuation of effects (having more around tends to lead to increased levels of the enzymes used to process the stuff). Can't really find anything that backs me up, but my google-fu isn't terribly strong.

Then again, if you aren't having any gastric problems I doubt one a day will hurt anything...
I do have acid reflux problems from time to time, so my cardiologist suggested that a coated baby aspirin would get past the stomach part and not aggravate that issue. She was right.

I do have acid reflux problems from time to time, so my cardiologist suggested that a coated baby aspirin would get past the stomach part and not aggravate that issue. She was right.

Besides baby aspirin, you can get the enteric coated low dose aspirin.

I take a baby aspirin daily.

But it seems like the most recent clinical studies have cast some doubt on the practice as a general rule.

Our bodies are in a fairly precise balance without drugs. What I mean is, blood that's too "thick" and clots too easily carries a lot of the dangers that aspirin alleviates. But blood that is too "thin" and does not coagulate normally also has downsides - small bleeds that otherwise would have healed may not in the presence of blood thinners, including aspirin. Plus there can be gastrointestinal issues with aspirin.

Hence the current state where only those with certain risk factors are having daily aspirin recommended to them.

And back to the OP, sitting still for extended periods may, in fact, be one of those risk factors.

For now, I am continuing to take mine.

When talking about stroke prevention, we usually forget there are different types of strokes. The daily aspirin regimen may help prevent/treat occlusive (white) strokes, but they increase the risk of hemorrhagic (red) strokes. I had the latter (hemorrhagic stroke) shortly after my 21st birthday (a long, long time ago). The neurologists were puzzled and the only association we could make was that I got it because of my NSAID usage--Advil in my case, though aspirin is an even stronger anticoagulant. I now take absolutely no NSAIDs, especially not aspirin!

The FAA didn't make it too easy for me to fly again...lots of correspondence to Oklahoma, several MRI's, past medical records, and a note from my neurologist before they would approve my medical. Unfortunately for them, I am a persistent bugger.

:lol:

Its called BRAN.

Bike Ride Across Nebraska

Didn't know there was one of those in Nebraska. My family has done RAGBRAI in Iowa for the last several years. This year I'm joining them for BAM, Bike Across Missouri

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

And once baby aspirins get past the stomach, they grow up into full-sized aspirins, so they work just as well.

Rich

I've taken a full aspirin a day (or more) for 30 years. None of that baby stuff for me. I've been told by my DR. "Well, if it doesn't bother you keep doing it." I think the hype about baby size is simply a marketing ploy. You are an adult, take a regular aspirin.

My family has a long history of strokes. I figure an aspirin every morning (with my multi-vitamin) is pretty cheap insurance.

Been taking it for over a decade.

"If aspirin were invented today it would need a prescription". That is what a doctor told me as we peddled our way across Nebraska in 1986 on the annual 500 mile bike ride cross state ride. I have been taking an aspirin a day ever since. The list of things positive he rattled off was amazing.

1. Reduced strokes.
2. May prevent cancer.
3. Increases blood flow.
4. Helps rehydration and prevents headaches.
5. Prevents hangovers.
6. Reduces swelling.

I've been a firm believer in aspirin therapy since 1986. One of the reasons you don't hear too much about it is Dr.s don't make money off of well people or aspirin.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/829484

Americans are some of the most unhealthy people in the world. Throwing an aspirin at them is like peeing on a house fire. :yesnod:

There are lots of benefits to daily aspirin, but it also increases bleeding time. I don't have a firm stance on it either way, but I'd say that a good many of my patients use it.

My family has a long history of strokes. I figure an aspirin every morning (with my multi-vitamin) is pretty cheap insurance.

Been taking it for over a decade.

My family has a history of cardiovascular illnesses, but we also have a history for sloth, alcoholism, and obesity. I am at least trying to limit the last of those.

I just finished my CPR training... the EMT teaching the class said we (long haul international pilots) should all be taking daily aspirin no matter our history or age due to us sitting for long periods of time. I'm curious if anyone else has heard this suggestion.

As another mentioned, there is no evidence it helps with DVT prevention. It may.. It may not.

with regards to "no matter our history or age", Aspirin allergy, and a history of bleeding ulcers with Nsaids or aspirin are some examples I can think of NOT to off the top of my head.

Consult with your doctor before starting an aspirin regimen.

I'm surprised you're just now hearing this. Have you been living under a rock or in a cave ?

Well I know about the aspirin a day thing for people who are at risk of heart attack or stroke, just never thought about it for fliers.

Interesting responses in this thread. Something to add to the list to ask a doctor if I ever go see one. :D

I've taken a full aspirin a day (or more) for 30 years. None of that baby stuff for me. I've been told by my DR. "Well, if it doesn't bother you keep doing it." I think the hype about baby size is simply a marketing ploy. You are an adult, take a regular aspirin.

My doctor told me to go to the daily 81mg from the 325mg, but what would he know?

Assuming one has no pre-existing risks for DVT the odds of acquiring one inflight are low.
Aspirin is considered to be prophylactic for arterial embolism, but not for DVT.
Compression stockings combined with inflight exercise (tensing the leg muscles, pressing feet against the floor, etc) would be more efficacious.
There are good reasons to take a baby aspirin daily (assuming no contraindications) but DVT prophylaxis is not one of them.

-=ICUDoc

light dose - baby aspirin there is a sweet spot so you don't overdo, but still get the same levels of effectiveness...there was a recent peer-reviewed study on this (I think in the last 6 months) that I'll have to find and the conclusion confirmed the small dosage idea

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back