DA40 & Piper Arrow vs. C172 and Cherokee

I have a 2012 DA40 XLS and can confirm. Can get to 150-151kts on mine, but almost never fly all out like that. In cruise I'm usually in the 143-145kts range.

Was around 137kts today in economy flight burning under 8gph. :D

How did you do that?
It's been a while but I remember seeing around 10gph at 140kts, and I never got it near 150kts. :confused:

I flew one of the old 180hp DA40s. The book speedwas135 but it wouldn't do it without the wheel pants which we didn't have and the FBO refused to install them for a 4 day XC I was intending to do so I didn't rent, long story...another time....

That just sucks.

200kts on the 42 is nice, considering we'd likely never see the DA50

Diamond is saying that they are making a DA52. Hopefully they'll actually make it unlike the 50.

I really like the DA40 and considered buying one. I got about 130 kts in max cruise at sea level. Which, is about what I get in my Arrow. I have about 15 or so hours in one.

• Great visibility.
  • Great climb rate.
  • Very economical fuel burn.
  • Great avionics and autopilot. I flew the older 430/530 equipped steam gauge model.
Dislikes:
  • Mediocre range with standard tanks.
  • Cockpit space is cramped. Hard to put stuff on your lap.
  • Castering nosewheel steering.
  • Could have used more rudder authority although newer ones have bigger rudders.
  • Runs hot. Hard to keep CHT's below 400 on 100+ degree days.

• Cockpit space is cramped. Hard to put stuff on your lap.
  • Castering nosewheel steering.

I actually agree with these.

Cockpit space is roomy, but because of the center stick control, it's hard to use your lap space. And since there's no space above the dashboard, you can't stash anything there during taxi or when you are settling into the cockpit.

Nosewheel steering is different from other planes too. I found it was a bit more challenging to keep the aircraft on the centerline during takeoff.

I've never flown a DA40, but my Tiger has a castering nosewheel, and I actually prefer it. Again, don't know how the DA0 steers, but once you get used to most castering nosewheel planes, which usually only takes a few minutes, they are a bit more flexible on the ground. It also allows you to keep rudder correction in without steering off the runway.

I actually agree with these.

Cockpit space is roomy, but because of the center stick control, it's hard to use your lap space. And since there's no space above the dashboard, you can't stash anything there during taxi or when you are settling into the cockpit.

It's true that you don't have as much room on your lab but because you don't have a whole between the seat and the wall (because there is no door) you can store stuff there. I think that it's a much better option.

What do you mean by "space above the dashboard"? I have yet to see an aircraft is storage space in that area.

What do you mean by "space above the dashboard"? I have yet to see an aircraft is storage space in that area.

In a Cessna/Piper, I can toss my headset, iPad, kneeboard there, while settling in a cockpit. No, I won't fly with stuff there. Diamond's front "door" makes that space more or less unusable, unless you have the door in full open position.

In a Cessna/Piper, I can toss my headset, iPad, kneeboard there, while settling in a cockpit. No, I won't fly with stuff there. Diamond's front "door" makes that space more or less unusable, unless you have the door in full open position.

Ah, got you. Thought you wanted to use that space in flight. Yeah it really is a bit of a disadvantage that you can't put anything up there. Instead I've been putting all the stuff on the wing and when I get in the cockpit and get ready to go I move it inside. Also I found that the headrest is a good place to put the headset when your not using it.

I had some stuff on the wing, and that resulted a line guy running towards the airplane, full steam ahead, to tell me that I have stuff on the wing. :D

I realized that cockpit storage space is a bit of a disadvantage after I tried to taxi out, with checklist at hand and CFI in the right seat. Since there's "airliner style" stuff between both seats, and a stick in a middle of my seat, holding checklist was virtually impossible.

But I am sure I will get used to it and find a way to put things together. I only have 1 hour in it, but I think I am already in love with the plane.

Let's hope that new Lance that my FBO got for $185/hour wet won't be a distraction lol

I had some stuff on the wing, and that resulted a line guy running towards the airplane, full steam ahead, to tell me that I have stuff on the wing. :D

:rofl:

But I am sure I will get used to it and find a way to put things together. I only have 1 hour in it, but I think I am already in love with the plane.

Oh, well then you'll get used to it.

Try putting your stuff in the rear seat.

Agree here. :) The 172 was the same. I used the space behind the passenger front seat. Easy to reach during taxi or cruise flight if needed. If I have a passenger, I put them behind me. That way if I have them reach for something, I can see what they are handing me.

Also seat backs are kind of high in a Diamond. Tough to throw things back there.

So true about back seats. After I was done with my flight, I climbed into a rear seat (which resulted in few weird looks from the CFI). It was very roomy and comfy. Certainly better than a 172

Back