DA20 structural temperature indicator question

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
Flying the DA20 for the first time tomorrow after only flying Piper and Cessna or years.

What is this indicator for? It is not clear from the DA20-C1 rev 26 flight manual.

David

I think the airplane has a max ambient temperature it can be flown in...

Sounds right. Composites can have some funky temperature requirements.

The Piaggio has a "wing overheat" light for the hot wings. Teller knows more about that, I'm sure.

I don't remember the official answer, but there is a cerrtainn ambient tempurature where, per the POH, you are not supposed to operate the aircraft.

None the less, you are going to be having some fun. I did the bulk of my PPL training in a DA20 and throughly enjoyed it. The center stick is makes contorl a bit more natural than a yoke. The handling is very light and sporty. And even on a hot day, the DA20 and its smaller engine climbs like a express elevator with SRB's attached. And be right on the correct approach speeds on final, else that glider wing will float you for a long way. Oh, and did I mention the excellent view?

Thanks for the info guys. I figured it was something to do with groudn temps as there is mention of airplanes with different paint colors and light colored surfaces and such. So, maybe the wing softens up too much and will melt. lol

Hmm, now I know why they are called plastic airplanes. :)

I look forward ot he experience of a new plane. I have been putting this off for years. Time for a change.

I have flown a few times wit ha stick but with the throttle on the left, not the right so I will have to get used to that to. And the fitment of iPad on leg might be an issue. Just have to wait and see.

David

DA-20 is awesome. Something I wish someone had told me before I got checked out in the 20...once you get lined up for takeoff, don't try to steer with breaks as you are adding power, go straight to the rudders. The rudder becomes immediately effective when you start adding power.

DA-20 is awesome. Something I wish someone had told me before I got checked out in the 20...once you get lined up for takeoff, don't try to steer with breaks as you are adding power, go straight to the rudders. The rudder becomes immediately effective when you start adding power.

and the high T-tail means the soft-field wheelie is also immediate.

another fun manuever is the power on stall. You are already reclined in the seat, but the pitch attitude you need to stall the aircraft makes you feel like your going straight up and hanging on the prop. Big Fun!!

The Piaggio has a "wing overheat" light for the hot wings. Teller knows more about that, I'm sure.

All bleed air heated leading edge have this... They have temp sensors throughout the system to detect leaks, because bleed air can cause structural damage to metal or composites. Also, if the leading edges overheat, they expand and buckle destroying them.

Leaks aren't the only thing that cause overheat failures, the bleed air temperature modulating valves could fail causing overheat also.

Cessna 750 has Horizontal stab overheat and pylon overheat annunciators in addition to wing overheat.

Last edited:

The only day I saw it (when I looked) indicating that the aircraft shouldn't be flown, the plane had been sitting on a blacktop ramp, nearly all day, in nearly 100 degree heat. It's got to be hot enough it won't be comfortable to fly really.

The DA-20 has a max OAT of 131 degrees (used to be 100). If that tab turns from red to black then you've exceeded it. Since it's composite you could be approaching the glass transition temp (Tg).

I had an iPad Mini on a basic kneeboard on my right leg. A little contact with my hand onto the kneeboard but otherwise ok. I suspect a full size ipad will be an issue though.

p1327137956-4.jpg

I don't remember the official answer, but there is a cerrtainn ambient tempurature where, per the POH, you are not supposed to operate the aircraft.

None the less, you are going to be having some fun. I did the bulk of my PPL training in a DA20 and throughly enjoyed it. The center stick is makes contorl a bit more natural than a yoke. The handling is very light and sporty. And even on a hot day, the DA20 and its smaller engine climbs like a express elevator with SRB's attached. And be right on the correct approach speeds on final, else that glider wing will float you for a long way. Oh, and did I mention the excellent view?
I heart the view immensely. :D

p1370472758-4.jpg

Last edited:
Since your in Ohio it shouldn't be the problem. The max temp is 131F, if you are down south and it gets that high then put it in a hanger for some time to let it cool and then go, once you get airborne it obvious won't be as hot.

The temp indicator itself is (usually) behind the headrest, looks kinda like a radiation badge and works similar IIRC.

What I find interesting is that the 40 & 42 don't have that limitation, even though they are made out of the same material.

And the fitment of iPad on leg might be an issue. Just have to wait and see.

Unlike it's larger counterparts the 20 has a very thin stick, so unless you have a super large knee board it shouldn't be a problem.
I recommend you put the knee board on the opposite leg of the arm that you are flying with (left arm --> stick = knee board --> right leg).

Also unless your using a knee board, don't leave the ipad on your lap. I had it fall on my throttle quadrant on a short final once and if my hand wouldn't have been there it would have cut the power. That was in an SR20 but the quadrant in the Diamonds is very similar.

Last edited:

The view from the 20 will be a lot better. The panel is much lower. However the wing is a bit further forward so the downward visibility is slightly worse.

The Lear does too. Pretty common when you send bleed air into control surfaces.

Believe me, you don't need the temp indicator. Long before it activates, you'll smell bacon frying. That would be your butt. The plane can endure higher temps than the pilot. :D

Believe me, you don't need the temp indicator. Long before it activates, you'll smell bacon frying. That would be your butt. The plane can endure higher temps than the pilot. :D

Actually that's a very good point.

I had an iPad Mini on a basic kneeboard on my right leg. A little contact with my hand onto the kneeboard but otherwise ok. I suspect a full size ipad will be an issue though.

I'm a big believer in the mini because of its smaller size in the cockpit, but the full size iPad (in the iPro Aviator kneeboard) works fine in a Diamond. Here's a message thread in the Diamond forum. Scroll down to around the 6th message on the first page:
http://www.diamondaviators.net/forum/post36001.html#p36001

That message is a couple of years old and I really think most people are now migrating over to the mini. The iPro Aviator/M is now shipping for that and it's all aluminum.

ipad-mini-kneeboard-400.jpg

Back