D-Day 70th Anniversary

ScottM

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
iBazinga!
I am in Normandy this week for the 70th Anniversary of the D-Day landings. I will be meeting up with Woodstock tomorrow who is just up the coast. But today I visited the museum in Caen and Pegasus bridge.

Thought the few history buffs here might be interested in a couple of pictures of Pegasus Bridge. This was a key battle and the 61st Paras were the key group involved.

FWIW I am staying at a hotel that is right on Sword beach. Tomorrow I head to the American cemetery and beaches. An amazing amount of people here, including active duty military and re-enactors.

Not all of my trip is to look at the current events. I also spent time in Caen visiting the tombs of William the Conquerer and his wife Matild for other research I am doing.

Attachments

• DSCF0325.jpg
    DSCF0325.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 20
  • DSCF0328.JPG
    DSCF0328.JPG
    6.6 MB · Views: 14
  • DSCF0327.JPG
    DSCF0327.JPG
    6.5 MB · Views: 18
We took the kids there in 1992. The US cemetery at Omaha Beach is impressive. Really makes you think. And my mother-in-law was an Army nurse who came ashore on Omaha on D+1. One can only imagine what she dealt with for the rest of the war.

I went there about 10 yrs ago when I was in The Big Red One. Some of the cemeteries there are absolutely amazing in their scale. The Meuse-Argonne is a must see.

Back