Cylinders 5-3-1 didn't start right away

Getonit

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Went to fly my ovation (IO-550) today and on start up, above cylinders didn't fire.....worked throttle and mixture in and out a bit and eventually they came alive.....didn't go flying. Evidenced by a roughness and no EGT rise. I did do a high power run up and that was normal. Called my mechanic and going to look at it tomorrow.....our thinking is something in the fuel spider maybe?

I have had a similar (maybe or maybe not the same) issue in mine.

The prop spins and it is sort of chugging but it doesn't seem to "catch" so to speak and you are frantically doing this dance with the mixture and throttle trying to get it to really come alive..

My A&P watched me start the plane and said "You are not priming near long enough".
Instead of a 5 count, I am doing a 15 count. Hasn't happened since.

Could be totally unrelated but description sounds similar.

Nevermind (thought it was a hot start thread)

Last edited:
Was the fuel pump on? You could simply have air in the lines if you have not flown it in a couple weeks - doesn't take long for the fuel to evaporate - you could have had open intake valves on that side at shutdown - and everything just evaporated and you did not prime long enough.

How long before those 3 cylinders came alive?

are those cylinders on the same mag?

I will get JPI data on here in near future....

You mean that key doesn't turn the airplane right or left? No wonder I am having trouble turning...

Each mag fires one plug on each cylinder...so yes they are on the same mags.

But I believe top plugs for 1-3-5 on on 1 mag, and bottom plugs on the other... could be meaningful if true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe your engine decided to implement what some cars are doing these days

Shut off some cylinders if it doesn't need them at that point in time to save gas!

In all seriousness hope it gets squared away!

what I wanted to say was ,did you do a run up, mag check. but I had not had any sleep for 3 days .Irma went /was showing a direct hit over my house and attached hangar. IT DID! not much damage. lucky

Back