Cylinder ADs

bnt83

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Brian
I don't need new ones but it sure makes you want to buy one at a time, like one every year, in effort to avoid buying a whole darn set that are consecutive or nearly consecutive serial #'s that could all get squashed by an AD later down the road.

Lotta IO520 drivers removed 6 cylinders with less than 700 hours since new from the last one that was issued.

That or buy them from Lycoming or Continental since the AD's almost always seem to be on ECI or SAP.

What I don't understand is if a transmission on my Tahoe gets recalled, Chevy pays for it. Why is it there is an AD, which is the kiss of death, issued and WE are responsible for the faulty products R&R?

What I don't understand is if a transmission on my Tahoe gets recalled, Chevy pays for it. Why is it there is an AD, which is the kiss of death, issued and WE are responsible for the faulty products R&R?

I just had Lycoming pay for an SB out of warranty. I guess it depends on the manufacturer and circumstances.

I don't need new ones but it sure makes you want to buy one at a time, like one every year, in effort to avoid buying a whole darn set that are consecutive or nearly consecutive serial #'s that could all get squashed by an AD later down the road.

Lotta IO520 drivers removed 6 cylinders with less than 700 hours since new from the last one that was issued.

That might not be the worst idea.

What is this 520 AD that's referred to? Isn't the ECI issue still in NPRM status? I've had a few engine parts condemned by AD including Superior and ECI cylinders on two planes at the same time. I still operate one set of cyls and the others didn't hurt a top dollar sale of my Cub. So it goes with aviation.

TCM made crap cylinders for many years. When they have issues they just change the approval minimums. I'd buy ECI before TCM. Even now. My own 520 has Millenniums that are one run life limited by AD. No biggie. I don't recycle cylinders anyway.

Last edited:
The major ECi one recently is still an NPRM. I went with ECis on the 310 for a double overhaul right before the NPRM came out, but my cylinders are the "new" style that's not impacted.

I generally figure cylinders are a crapshoot. Engineering improves, quality goes up. Bad supplier, quality goes down. You just don't know what you'll get so you have to make the best decision you can.

Today I would actually go OEM for both Lycoming and Continental on cylinders, but I do suspect that ECi and Superior are making better products.

I think about 10-12 years ago Continental finally got their **** together on cylinders. I still won't get Chromed cylinders for a TSIO engine though. When I was turning wrenches on planes in the early 90s I would say I averaged replacing 1.5 chromed cylinders a week on TSIO 520s that had cracks in the Acme threads including ones that popped the head clean off the barrel.

And they still would be, if they didn't have competition.

Same goes for Lycoming

I believe there is a lot of truth to that. IIRC the first aftermarket cylinders were O-200 cylinders in the early 90s from Superior. After they started expanding their line, that's when factory jugs started improving. Correlation or Causation...:dunno:

The great benefit of aftermarket cylinders is lowering the prices. An IO-580 or TIO-540-AJ1A cylinder (no PMA) from Lycoming is around 2x the cost of a standard angle or parallel valve.

The great benefit of aftermarket cylinders is lowering the prices. An IO-580 or TIO-540-AJ1A cylinder (no PMA) from Lycoming is around 2x the cost of a standard angle or parallel valve.

Who do I need to talk with to get this done?:)

Back