Cycling the prop

For the most part, we do the three times exercise because 'its tradition!'. A tradition that made it into small airplane GA because generations of flight instructors flew planes with feathering props that required a test of the system.

For the most part I do it because the people who designed my systems think it's a good idea :dunno:

rqzw43.jpg

image.jpg

The same with the oil pressure drop. What does it tell me ?
I figure it's mostly because someone tells someone those gauges will indicate changes which is a subject worth talking about because understanding why it happens is important to systems knowledge. Why people carry that into thinking they need to stare at those gauges and look for one to change in one check, the other in another check, etc is beyond me. You're better off focusing on the prop outside the window when you're doing it.

I think it will go in the NTSB report if you didn't cycle it 3 times and have some type of prop related accident. They can determine how many times you checked it by examining wear marks on the prop cable.

So besides the prop cycling did you see what they said about cool down?

They recommend to wait 5 minutes at 1000 RPM for NA and 10 minutes for turbos. :eek:

ya, I saw that too. Mine warms up if I'd do that......I just shut down like everyone else and TIT stays below 800 deg F.

Warm up is odd as well. Oil temps to 110* prior to takeoff ain't happening for me. If I let CHTs get to my normal 275* before taxiing I'm lucky to see oil temps much over 70*.

It does represent what I was taught about prop cycling 25 years ago.

Back