Cutting locks

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
I have to cut a few typically crappy master locks off of a fifth wheel hitch.

They’re being used as locks on the pins. Keys are missing, most of them are corroded so badly a rake won’t work on them, which is usually how I get rid of most Master locks and throw them in the trash where they belong.

Anyway... hard to access them. Big bolt cutters or a die grinder? Angle grinder won’t fit where they’re being used.

I’ll probably have both handy, but wondering what implements of destruction you like personally when destroying crap locks some idiot thought were “secure” which only became “secure” because their keyways became corroded. LOL.

Bolt cutters. Less noise & mess, less need for PPE, less risk of collateral damage.

Plus they’re cool and will feel better deep down in your soul, lol.

Bolt cutters. Less noise & mess, less need for PPE, less risk of collateral damage.

Plus they’re cool and will feel better deep down in your soul, lol.

Good point. I have 24”-ers. See if they’ll do it. If I could get a 36” set in there I’d have been done faster than I could post it. Haha.

Anyway update later... :)

Bolt cutters are the cleanest and easiest with least chance of self inflicted harm. We call those the "universal key"

But pending limited tools on hand, a cutoff wheel with a chuck bit to fit in a cordless drill will be your cheapest should you need to purchase something.

...or a shotgun. Those work well. (so i've heard)

First choice would be small set of bolt cutters,followed by a Dremel tool,if the bolt cutters are to big.

Leverage is a wonderful thing.

55b96770ed2945b8aaf22651b893073a.jpg

e1ff28cfb7f1f9737cfb1577c667fe99.jpg

736b25628996aa24fbeaaaf5c18a59b1.jpg

high quality drill bit , drill thru the key opening in the lock. followed by WD-40 and a hammer.

Not Master locks. :rolleyes:

Cheaper even and dumber. :)

I figured if I used their name, it’d be confusing and not add any value to the question. So “Master” was like “Kleenex” in this story.

Plus “****ty” gets censored around here. :)

Back