Cute clearance yesterday

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Heard on APA clearance delivery yesterday...

"Centennial Clearance Delivery Cessna Nxxxx ready to pick up our round robin IFR clearance to Centennial via Greeley."

"NXXXX cleared to Denver Centennial Airport via Denver 9 Departure, radar vectors Direct Greeley, then Direct Centennial, climb and maintain Niner-thousand, squawk xxxx."

It was severe VMC but I've always thought it would be interesting if some spam can driver like me, decided to follow the lost Comm procedure on that thing, squawked 7600 and headed straight for the DEN VORTAC at 9000. That'd get some folks attention.

I mentioned this to a CFI here once and their comment was, "You know that text will be changed as soon as someone actually has to do it..." Hah.

I wish I wasn't busy flying a checkride. If I had caught the tail number I'd be curious how much of the Bravo he got to cut through on the way up there. I have family up there and go to GXY pretty often and always go around under one shelf or the other... East or West side depending on mood and desired engine out landing options.

Oh I knew about it. Forgot they archive all the IFR stuff. Weird flight path. Wonder what they were doing. Ha.

i used to fly into kdca a lot before 911 vfr take off on cert-en runways were followed by instructions to aim for the Washington monument but don't hit it!! shows how old i am cant imagine they say that any more ,what a shame

Oh I knew about it. Forgot they archive all the IFR stuff. Weird flight path. Wonder what they were doing. Ha.
Clearly a training flight. It's a flight school plane, not sure which flight school these days, but I think it is (or was) Aspen. I'm pretty sure I have time in it.

Speculation for fun: looks like up to Greeley for two approaches, then over to Metro for a full approach and VOR hold. Couple of laps around the hold, then back home. Dropping off the screen on the way home could mean cancelling IFR to do some air work in the west practice area.

3 approaches, at least one full, hold, and air work. I'm going with an IPC. I guess it could be a checkride but the IFR filing makes that seem unlikely.

Clearly a training flight. It's a flight school plane, not sure which flight school these days, but I think it is (or was) Aspen. I'm pretty sure I have time in it.

Speculation for fun: looks like up to Greeley for two approaches, then over to Metro for a full approach and VOR hold. Couple of laps around the hold, then back home. Dropping off the screen on the way home could mean cancelling IFR to do some air work in the west practice area.

3 approaches, at least one full, hold, and air work. I'm going with an IPC. I guess it could be a checkride but the IFR filing makes that seem unlikely.

Yeah I was just surprised they bothered to file to do it. Maybe someone wanted to learn how to do it via Foreflight or FltPlan or similar and the instructor said, "Sure, why not?" :)

i used to fly into kdca a lot before 911 vfr take off on cert-en runways were followed by instructions to aim for the Washington monument but don't hit it!! shows how old i am cant imagine they say that any more ,what a shame

Might get a missile shot at you. When I flew in and out of DCA in a CRJ we had to stay over the river visually, and IMC certain radials that kept you over the river.

Yeah I was just surprised they bothered to file to do it. Maybe someone wanted to learn how to do it via Foreflight or FltPlan or similar and the instructor said, "Sure, why not?" :)
Definitely could be.

Or, so little IFR is flown there, sometimes it's just about practicing picking up and reading back clearances and getting re-used to the sound of IFR communication, which can be different than Flight Following ones.

Ii think I had been in Colorado for at least 10 years when Jan and I decided to rent and airplane while on a Florida trip to visit friends and family around the state. I figured at least one of the legs would be under IFR. But it had been so long since I had even read back an IFR clearance, I decided to file to KFNL on a severe clear day. No hood and safety pilot. Just getting the clearance.

Back