Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JustinPinnix

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
So, in the past week I've heard a lot of people (including my AME) suggest keeping current by getting an IPC every 6 months. While this sounds like a great idea, I wonder about letting 6 months elapse without doing any approaches. Do those of you who do this still do approaches with a safety pilot as well?

I think doing an IPC every 6 months is a good idea. I get mine from the airline I work for, but they only happen every 9 months. That means that for the most part, I am legal for part 121 IFR for three months when I wouldn't be legal to fly part 91

{edit} I really did mean 6 months.

Last edited:
I do one every 6 months. Ed Guthrie gave me that idea. I still try to do approaches during the 6 month period but the IPC is cheaper and you get more out of it.

It just depends for me. If I haven't flown a lot of IMC and approaches with someone, I will do the IPC every six months. At the minimum, I do annual recurrent training at SIMCOM.

I am flying about 200 to 250 hours per year and that usually leads to me flying enough IMC and approaches to feel proficient. I fly with another pilot a lot and will do some work under the hood or do some practice approaches. Normally, I also do an IPC, but there are times I've just flown with my partner in the plane or another proficient pilot enough to feel capable.

Best,

Dave

I don't think it's the IPC itself as much as doing flights in which you get challenged. Hopping into an airplane with a safety pilot and doing the same old 2-3 approaches is not the same thing as periodically doing some of the more demanding PTS (and non-PTS) tasks. We =could= do them on our own with a safety pilot, but we usually don't.

The IPC or even just doing some instrument refresher flights with a CFI as part of our currency regimen is just a practical and efficient way of doing what we know needs to be done.

<snip> We =could= do them on our own with a safety pilot, but we usually don't.

The IPC or even just doing some instrument refresher flights with a CFI as part of our currency regimen is just a practical and efficient way of doing what we know needs to be done.

This leads back to an experience a couple weeks ago. While he was glad to have and asked me to be safety pilot for him again, I honestly felt he needed some other help beyond my being a safety pilot and certainly beyond my current teaching skills.

It turns out he's coming up for a flight review so his file has been marked for this to be an emphasis area to add to the reviewing CFI's tasks.

While Mark is indeed correct, we could do this on our own to remain proficient, there are some who are reluctant to drag in a CFI like the guy I encountered. I'd hope a pilot may recognize when they do need a greater level of help.

I'm not too worried; can always get help from the back <g>

Best,

Dave

Attachments

• Microsoftflightsimulator.bmp
    216.6 KB · Views: 18
I couldn't really pick just one of the choices in the poll because depending on the type and frequency of my recent flying, any one of the choices has been employed in the past.

I think doing an IPC every month is a good idea. I get mine from the airline I work for, but they only happen every 9 months. That means that for the most part, I am legal for part 121 IFR for three months when I wouldn't be legal to fly part 91

That's a difference between part 91 and 121, Greg. The IPC is only required to renew currency if you haven't flown 6 approaches + holds in the past six months (so normal currency has lapsed) and then you let the 6-month grace period after that expire without getting the approaches/holds in.... (12 months total).

I'm sure you fly WAY more approaches than most of us. How many hours/approaches/holds have you logged in the past six months? I bet it's impressive compared to what most of us get.

I'm sure you fly WAY more approaches than most of us. How many hours/approaches/holds have you logged in the past six months? I bet it's impressive compared to what most of us get.

None in the airplane, two or three in the sim every 90 days to maintain currency. Long Haul airline pilots just don't log that many approaches.

A couple of comments...

First, try it. Find a GOOD CFII, and do 2 or 3 IPC's over the course of a year or year and a half. See what YOU think about YOUR proficiency level.

Second, it's always good to get with, again, a GOOD CFI periodically (more than just at flight review time). We all develop bad habits that we don't see ourselves, but a CFI should be on the lookout for them. And it's much easier to correct them early than it is when they've been practiced and ingrained for a couple of years.

Find the right CFI, and I think you'll like the results.

Fly safe!

David

I don't fly all that much these days, so I when I come off the layoff I get the best IPC that I can afford.

FWIW, if you try IPCs every 6 months versus the standard 6-6 method not only will you probably find that your instrument proficiency is better, but if in your normal mode you don't get enough actual and end up flying those 6-6 under the hood you will probably save money maintaining currency via the IPC versus doing it via the 6-6 method. IOW, an IPC is a one hour event if you do it correctly; no way you can fly 6 approaches, a hold, track, etc., and keep the flight time to one hour (assumes the usual GA C172 or equivalent).

Just back from shooting the ILS 30R at Lambert (STL) for a wedding. Temp was 15F. Good lesson in cold weather ops, too.

The IPC is good, but there's nothing like being asked (told) to do the approach at "170 kts please, 737 in trail".

There are some skills you get from the actual that you don't necessarily encounter in the IPC. Do both.

File and go for practice approaches in IMC. There are many days when airports in the foothills are IMC and we here in the mtns are good VFR for departure and return.

The IPC is good, but there's nothing like being asked (told) to do the approach at "170 kts please, 737 in trail".

There are some skills you get from the actual that you don't necessarily encounter in the IPC. Do both.
Applies to VFR ops as well, btw..."Give us the best you can...737 in trail."

"OK...I'll give you 105 knots to the numbers...that's 5 knots above cruise speed." :)

Fly safe!

David

I haven't ever done an IPC. However, I have always made sure I have at least 12 within six months. Aaaaand, nearly all of those twelve turn out to be with a CFII. It probably amounts to the same thing, in the end. Also, in Maryland, I've been able to pick up a lot of IMC time.

Back