Cubs2Oshkosh for the 75th

This last fall, the planning group for the 75th anniversary of the J-3 Piper Cub set a planning goal of 200 Cubs at AirVenture 2012. As of today, over 200 Cub owners are on www.cubs2oshkosh.com. Most of them are committed to the flight this summer to Oshkosh. It’s a half year away! If this is only the tip of the iceberg so to speak, I may have to call the EAA staff and tell them to make a lot more room available for Cub parking and have additional seats for the Cub dinner.

I would ask the Cub historians out there as to when over 200 Cubs gathered at one location. If the weather is good, we could easily have over three hundred Cubs or more! I might have to contact the Guinness Book of World Records.

It’s interesting reading about the Cubs and their owners on www.cubs2oshkosh.com . Many have owned their Cub since new, sixty-five to seventy five years ago. Several of the Cubs have been passed down through the generations to stay in the family. One young lady who lives overseas is coming back to the U.S. this summer to ride in a Cub with her dad to Oshkosh. A few, new to the Cub, think this will be an adventure of a lifetime that they are not going to miss.

If there is a Cub in your neighborhood that is going, think about a flight of two. Let’s all encourage every Cub owner to join with us for the flight. If you don’t own a Cub, now is the time to purchase one. If you own one, make every effort to attend. Remember, all Cubs are invited to AirVenture 2012.

Let's make it 300!​

When I attend flying events with the Cub, I always have something to give to kids that will help them remember the name of my aircraft. If I don’t have enough Cub tattoos, I give them a Piper Cub paper model that they can build. The Cub Club supplies me with the tattoos and I print the Piper Cub on #67 cardstock using the model found on www.fiddlersgreen.net

Until 2/10, you can download the Piper Cub model for FREE. The obsolete version only requires one sheet. The new version that takes three sheets is better. At AirVenture, I want to have both the tattoos and paper Cubs available to give to thousands of kids! If this doesn’t take place at Kids Venture, it will take place near Cubs someplace on the field.

Please take advantage of this FREE offer and be prepared for many kids on this the 75th anniversary of the Piper Cub. Go to www.fiddlersgreen.net for the FREE download today and have fun this year!

How much more stuff NOT related to the actual cub flying at Oshkosh may expect to be spammed into our personal mailboxes?

If I were an aviation mechanic working on magnetos, I would be concerned about timing issues. As you read about the scheduling of events for the Cubs at AirVenture this year, the timing might look a little bit off for the Cub mass flight into Oshkosh. Every pilot knows that they must be flexible as aircraft parts fail at the wrong time and the weather constantly impacts the timing of launches. So, I am going to overlook this one issue and have a fantastic adventure at both Hartford and Oshkosh while participating in all of the planned events.

As this information is hot of the press, I hope you don’t mind this message to encourage you to go to www.cubs2oshkosh.com to download the pdf file in the Flight Document Section that contains the Cub Club registration for all of the events at Hartford on Friday and Saturday. They are selling cool looking shirts. We all need to wear Cub shirts every day at AirVenture. Just to let you know, all Cub pilots who fly to AirVenture will receive a name tag lanyard identifying you to the masses.

In the Mass arrival at Oshkosh forum, the latest details on the mass arrival received from the EAA will be listed. And in the Cub activities on the field, the tentative schedule of Cub events will be posted.

There are now almost 300 on the cubs2oshkosh web site. Cubs will have fun this year!​

Do they already have their FAA waiver for a mass arrival that big? Or is that just a list of all the Cubs coming? Cool either way, just curious.

It is my understanding that the FAA allocates to the EAA a block of time for the air show as waivered air space. The time from 5 P.M. till 6 P.M. is a part of that waivered time.
And yes, it will be a time when the average Cub pilot can perform a not too many bounce landing in front of thousands.

Each Mass Arrival is issued a waiver for amongst other things, aircraft clearance distance rules. They're number limited by their plan and requested numbers.

They are pretty detailed documents and all participating pilots are issued a copy. Most groups put them on the web.

Time of arrival is listed on the waiver but can be moved by the on-site Tower personnel. It's not a game of "how many aircraft can we stuff into the airspace in X amount of time".

After the number of aircraft allowed in the waiver is reached, that's it. The group can't add more.

That's why I asked. 300 seems high for a first-time/only-time group. B2O has those kinds of numbers. C2O usually caps at 75 or so if I remember correctly. 300 may be the overall number of Cubs they're expecting but higher than the number who will actually perform the Mass Arrival.

Yes, the Cubs will be limited to 75 aircraft for the Monday 5 P. M. flight. As far as I know, all of the other groups do not arrive in waivered airspace. They may have waivers but do not use waivered airspace. It is different.

All of the rules for this special mass flight of Cubs is still a work in progress.

Cool. What's the airspace waiver for? Transponders?

The waivers for other groups lift the runway requirements for simultaneous landings (B2O) on the sane runway and some other stuff.

All of the waiver itens are mostly the FAA making sure no one can be violated for any of the required maneuvers. And they also are waiving the OSH NOTAMed arrival requirements for participants, etc. They're actually an interesting read.

Not transponders as everyone is asked to turn them off on approach. They tell me that everyone else is to be on the ground when we arrive. I wish I could tell you more but then I would have to ......

When the details are out, I will let you know.

Sounds like they're working it out so you guys can do a fly-by at altitude, would be my guess from that hint. :) That'll be fun to see.

With 100 days to go until AirVenture 2012, I thought I might run through some thoughts of mine for the trip so that you might point out something I may have missed. There is still time to make changes and add those things that will make the trip more interesting and enjoyable. As of yesterday, the EAA has made some significant changes to the plans.

My Cub has a fresh annual and will be flown to several Cub 75th anniversary adventures before Oshkosh. My flying skills should thus be honed and ready for the mass flight into Oshkosh. I would hate to bounce too many times in front of my fellow Cub flyers.

I have sent my registration for Hartford to the Cub Club and ordered several shirts from them. As I still have many yellow Cub shirts purchased from the Piper Aviation Museum several years ago, I will be able to wear a Cub shirt every day at Oshkosh. Everyone will know what aircraft I love to fly. If you don’t have enough Cub shirts, you may purchase more from the Cub Club and or the Piper Aviation Museum.

I am starting to plan the Urbana route with help and suggestions from others. I want to be part of a large flight of Cubs from Urbana, Ohio to Oshkosh. I am still debating whether I want to take the shore line route around Chicago. Have traveled that route many times in a Luscombe, Cessna 182 and 210, but the Cub is slow, thus my time over water would be long. Use the map on cubs2oshkosh to coordinate plans with other Cub owners near you.

The EAA has scrapped the mass Cub flight that was to have taken place on Monday at 5 P.M. Instead, Steve Krog, of the Cub Club will direct a measured flight of all Cubs on Sunday. I will post the details of his plans on cubs2oshkosh as soon as everything is finalized. I am in complete agreement with this change as it should make for a safer flight into Oshkosh for everyone. I would encourage you to participate in the great Saturday night Cub dinner in Hartford, and then fly with many, many Cubs on Sunday into Oshkosh.

The Wednesday night Cub dinner in Oshkosh will now be a part of the Vintage festivities to be held in the Nature Center pavilion that same night. Tickets can be purchased at Hartford and will cost $10 per person. This is another reason to stop at Hartford.

Cub historians are looking into previous Cub gatherings to help determine if this year’s gathering at Oshkosh might make history. There should be over 250 Cubs on the field this year which, at the very least, would make it an Oshkosh record. Let’s make it hard for the Cubs in 2037(the 100th anniversary) to break our record!

This is good news. Arrival at OSH on Sunday morning is much more appealing than Monday night. Rick -- I'm having trouble posting to Cubs2OSH. Where do we go to register for the Saturday night dinner? Where are details about the flight from Ohio?

To register for Hartford, print the pdf found on the cubs2oshkosh site under flight documents.

I hope to have more details on the Cubs leaving from Ohio in early May. That info will be posted in the forum area under buddy system.

Sorry about the posting problem. Have you registered and are you using the correct password?

Ok. Yes, I'm logged in. When I press the "Post a quick reply" button I get the following error message:
Please correct the following problems:

• Body is too long (maximum is 20000 characters)
  • Body can't be blank

This is before I am even given an opportunity to type in any text!

Try this ->scroll to the bottom and type the message in the text box provided before you hit the quick replay button
Rick that box no longer appears. I was clearly able to post a reply some time ago, but now it does not work. I belong to many such message boards, and I am telling you there is something wrong with Cubs2OSH. I will send you a screen shot to your email address.

The forum posting issue is being addressed by the Webs staff.

And now for the latest info

The mass flight into Oshkosh by Cubs might, just might take place early Sunday morning before Oshkosh is open to other traffic. How many Cubs will be allowed to participate in this Dawn Patrol flight is still being discussed.

We can thank Steve Krog, FAA and EAA Vintage staff for making this a possibility. I am excited again as I believe that a mass flight of Cubs into Oshkosh would be the safest path to take for Cubs and all other aircraft. I would like to see two hundred Cubs allowed to participate in this Dawn Patrol flight.

Stay tuned for more details to come in the remaining 87 days till AirVenture 2012. Remember, it is important that everyone plan to be in Hartford by Saturday at the latest!

Man,... I might miss it unless I move up my travel plans. I currently am trying to arrive Sunday afternoon / evening, but seem like I"ll miss mostly all of the mass arrivals by then. :(

If it isn’t the weather, it‘s always something that makes it a little bit harder to fly when I desire. The work crew has cautioned me that there is a 4 inch drop to the gravel base. I told them I sometimes drop the Cub onto the runway from a greater height.

If they start to lay asphalt tomorrow, my timing has to be just right if I want to leave for Oshkosh. As the weather now looks iffy for tomorrow, I may leave Saturday before they lay the final coat.

Ron Siwik landed his J-3 at Hartford yesterday after a short flight from Ohio.

Attachments

• grimestoday.jpg
    grimestoday.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 10
I need to clear this work area between the hangers to get to the grass runway. The paved runway is also open. I could almost take off north on the taxiway that is usable in front of the hangers. But, some of the workers might die of fright.

Back