Cubs2Oshkosh for the 75th

Rick Rademacher

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Rick Rademacher
After talking with Harry Mutter, Steve Krog, Clyde Smith and others at Oshkosh, it’s a go for the 75 anniversary of the Piper Cub next year, 2012.

From AirVenture News & Views

“Now that we’re near the end of EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2011, it’s time to relax, catch our collective breath…and start planning for AirVenture Oshkosh 2012!

Actually, advance planning for next year—the 60th convention of the Experimental Aircraft Association—is already well underway.

Leading off the list of themes and attractions is the 75th anniversary of the Piper Cub, and the goal, according the Adam Smith, EAA vice president of membership, will be “to create a sea of yellow” with visiting Cubs.”

I am a happy camper! Now is the time to organize the maximum effort for cubs2oshkosh. At the MERFI fly in at Grimes Field Urbana, Ohio, Cub owners from over five states with gather to discuss the flight to Oshkosh and what we would like to see take place next year.

In response to my letters of invitation to MERFI, one Cub owner said that his cub hasn’t been out of the barn for over 45 years. Now is the time to get that Cub back in the air for the 75th anniversary next year.

Please visit www.merfi.com for more information about the Cub planning meetings this September. The www.cubs2oshkosh.com will be up in operation soon.

you guys better leave soon if you want to make it on time

I'm already trying to figure out how to make this a budget item...

Ryan

Good luck. It isn't an easy thing to do. You might consider contacting the guys who set up the Cherokees to Oshkosh event, as they just set all this up and can probably render good advice.

There was something in the Cessnas 2 Oshkosh early newsletters this year that they assisted the Cherokees 2 Oshkosh in getting through the appropriate hoops, also... so generally -- get in touch with the other groups, they're all probably pretty helpful. I believe the history of Cessnas 2 Oshkosh is that Bonanzas 2 Oshkosh originally helped them out... it's a "pass it on" kinda thing, apparently... which is cool.

I'm already trying to figure out how to make this a budget item...

Ryan

Well if you and I could find 1 other person to split the costs with per plane we might be able to make it happen. I'd take the cub from boerne. Maybe I could find 1 other TW pilot that could go and we could split the flying time and cost.

Well if you and I could find 1 other person to split the costs with per plane we might be able to make it happen. I'd take the cub from boerne. Maybe I could find 1 other TW pilot that could go and we could split the flying time and cost.
I say we find a local sponsor :D.

Ryan

I might be a TW pilot by then. What would it cost?

I might be a TW pilot by then. What would it cost?
Figure about 3 days of flying non-stop one way if the weather's good... It'd be fun, but you'd really have worked your way to OSH. Oh, and don't bring a GPS. You'll really know how to navigate by the end as well. :D I flew a Stinson back from Houston today and checked my GPS three times to verify the course so I could make good time. Was right on the money every time I turned the GPS on.

Ryan

Figure about 3 days of flying non-stop one way if the weather's good... It'd be fun, but you'd really have worked your way to OSH. Oh, and don't bring a GPS. You'll really know how to navigate by the end as well. :D I flew a Stinson back from Houston today and checked my GPS three times to verify the course so I could make good time. Was right on the money every time I turned the GPS on.

Ryan

I've never used a GPS but 3 days each way is more than I can afford (both in money and in time off work).

Sorry guys - good luck finding your third TailWheel pilot!

I've never used a GPS but 3 days each way is more than I can afford (both in money and in time off work).

Sorry guys - good luck finding your third TailWheel pilot!
Pffft. I'm not sure I can afford it either! Especially if I'm still on a CFI pay scale. It's going to take a LOT more work to get to Paul Sanchez' level.

Ryan

it's a "pass it on" kinda thing, apparently... which is cool.

Yes it is. On behalf of the other members of Cessnas 2 Oshkosh we would love to help in any way we can.

Craig,
Thanks for the offer. If you could get your group to slow down a lot, maybe we could just tag along. If not, we are planning to stay clear of all other traffic by using a low and slow approach. Because of your work with the EAA, the EAA understands how to work with large groups.

As this will only happen once in 25 years, the EAA is bending over backwards in trying to find a spot for a group of 200 or more Cubs.

As I once owned a 1959 Cessna 182 for 23 years and then a 1976 Cessna 210 for 9 years, I am sorry I missed flying with your group into Oshkosh.
Rick

Craig,
Thanks for the offer. If you could get your group to slow down a lot, maybe we could just tag along. If not, we are planning to stay clear of all other traffic by using a low and slow approach. Because of your work with the EAA, the EAA understands how to work with large groups.

You should keep it to Cubs only. Sorry, not that many airplanes can safely fly that slowly. Two hundred is a very ambitious number. The Cherokee folks couldn't even get 50.

The normal type club area (where we stuff usually two or three smaller groups) holds about 100. To park 200 continguously is going to mean down past Pt Fondy. (The end of taxiway Papa). None of the other blocks hold that many. Even if you take the entire area from Magoo to Fondy, you only get about 160 (probably less as cubs have longer wings than most). That is to say that all the cubs are REAL CUBS and not some post 1970 clones.

One of the purposes of www.cubs2oshkosh.com is to get a good early feel from Cub owners about their interest in flying a Cub to Oshkosh. With little publicity to date, around 40 Cub owners have expressed their goal of flying a Cub to Oshkosh next year.

As it is much more fun to fly with a group, a Google map on the site helps fellow Cub owners to network with others for the flight. I fly once a year with a group called 70 Knotters for a fun week of camping and flying.

Cubs will probably be parked in two or three rows in front of the Red Barn and the rest in areas to the south. People at EAA are working on the plans. I just follow directions and ask others to do the same.

Craig,

As this will only happen once in 25 years, the EAA is bending over backwards in trying to find a spot for a group of 200 or more Cubs.

As I once owned a 1959 Cessna 182 for 23 years and then a 1976 Cessna 210 for 9 years, I am sorry I missed flying with your group into Oshkosh.
Rick

Rick, Yeah, I only meant help with planning and help with training. From B2OSH on down there has been no need to learn how to make a wheel each time. We have everything from experienced military pilots to webmasters and shirt vendors. We all work together and party at OSH together. Let me know what we can do. If you want pm or email me and we can get you in touch with the other group leads.

Happy New Year and welcome to the Year of the Piper Cub. With only 199 days till AirVenture 2012, and less for many other flying venues, it’s time to make that Cub airworthy. As I stated in the January/February Cub Club newsletter, let’s think about participating in several maximum effort missions this year.

I encourage everyone to talk up their favorite landing strip for inclusion on the map of Cub gathering/stopping locations. While airports with grass, food, interesting attractions, and several Cubs on the field are desired, airports with motivated aviators who have the desire to be included will be listed in some fashion. Cub flyers can then pick and choose the locations that best meet their desired flight plan for the missions.

If your Cub location is misplaced on the map, please contact me with the correct location. As soon as the EAA finalizes some of their plans, I will spread the word on this site. Many activities are in the works that will make AirVenture 2012 unforgettable, one that Cub flyers should make a maximum effort to attend.

Rick

www.cubs2oshkosh.com

Rick,... aren't any of the guys at Red Stewart field in OH going? Didn't seem yet on the map and you probably know some of them, just south of you. I flew there last summer and was going to stop in again this year on my way to OSH (by motorcycle, not plane). IIRC, they have a 65hp and 85hp cub on the field.

There is a pilot (no contact info) going from SF now. I wonder how long that will take in flight and how much it will cost in gas. Not that he would have room anyway but I am just thinking out loud here.

There is a pilot (no contact info) going from SF now. I wonder how long that will take in flight and how much it will cost in gas. Not that he would have room anyway but I am just thinking out loud here.

It says he's flying a 1940 J-3. A J-3 Cub is neat, but it is not a two-people-and-bags-over-mountains-on-a-hot-summer-day airplane, unfortunately.

It says he's flying a 1940 J-3. A J-3 Cub is neat, but it is not a two-people-and-bags-over-mountains-on-a-hot-summer-day airplane, unfortunately.

She gets checked out and they take turns. If pilot not flying would be driving the car with the camping gear. They will probably make the same destination at the same time for much of the trip....

-Jim

She gets checked out and they take turns. If pilot not flying would be driving the car with the camping gear. They will probably make the same destination at the same time for much of the trip....

True! :idea:

Of course, since I much prefer airplanes to cars, my thought was that they follow I-80 and simply high-speed taxi on the road when they can't stay in the air. :rofl:

Maybe I should reiterate...

I meant that the Terrafugia will be stuck in traffic doing that "high-speed taxi", while the real airplanes fly above. :)

Yes, Red Stewart field in Ohio will be represented at Oshkosh this year. Many are slow to log into the www.cubs2oshkosh.com. But, it is still 193 days before the start of AirVenture 2012.
Rob, since you are going to Oshkosh by motorcycle, could you carry some gear for us that we can’t fit in the Cub. Several Cubs will be coming from the West Coast with two on board. What an adventure that will be. I am envious.

There is no better aircraft than the Cub to fly on a hot summer day with the door wide open!

1600 nm. Figure 20 or so hours in the air plus weather delays. About 4-6 days each way. 4 - 5 gallons an hour (guess).

I've gone about 2600 nm (one way) in a Cessna 120 (and over the Canadian Rockies) - but a 120 is way faster than a Cub. :rofl:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23057

Back