Crutches suck

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
crutches suck, especially when slip-sliding around in 10" of snow ...

My supposed broken toe from 4 weeks ago was not a broken toe after all. I've broken a chunk of bone off the bottom of the foot, and it's floating around in there getting all crunched up and staying swollen and very painful. Saw the podiatrist, got new x-rays and now it's 4-6 weeks on crutches, and probable surgery to remove to bone fragment, because "it's most likely not going to heal together", he says. The hoped-for outcome is scar tissue will capture the bone fragment and hold it in place.

Getting old ain't fer sissies...

At least you're not missing out on summer air time.
Take care & good luck.

My supposed broken toe from 4 weeks ago was not a broken toe after all. I've broken a chunk of bone off the bottom of the foot, and it's floating around in there getting all crunched up and staying swollen and very painful. Saw the podiatrist, got new x-rays and now it's 4-6 weeks on crutches, and probable surgery to remove to bone fragment, because "it's most likely not going to heal together", he says. The hoped-for outcome is scar tissue will capture the bone fragment and hold it in place.

Yes they do suck. On the other hand, I remember needing them for as few weeks when I was in college (I don't remember how I injured myself anymore!). I had about a mile or two walk from Boston into Cambridge, and with crutches I also got a ride quickly when I tried to hitchhike across the bridge.

Hope it heals ok for you, Greg.

Get Well soon! But let it heal. Foot injuries are bummers.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Wow. Whatta mess! :( And they thought it was gout at first? Greg, I feel for ya'. I was on crutches for two months in the wintertime about three years ago when I blew out my knee. Even spent part of the time in a wheelchair. It's tough. I hope you found a way to carry stuff while using crutches. I started a thread on the old WebBoard asking how to carry coffee with crutches and received some good suggestions.

I started a thread on the old WebBoard asking how to carry coffee with crutches and received some good suggestions.

Carefully in a travel mug that has a sealed top, First finger cureled around the mug handle holding it agianst the cruch handle, rest of fingers on the cruch handle. BTDT!

Missa

It hurts while just thinking about it, Greg. A bunch of years ago I broke a bone in my right foot, just two weeks before opening in My Fair Lady(Col. Hugh C. Pickering). So, I was on crutches; but the doctor -- knowing my dire straights -- switched me to a cane with a week to go before opening night. There were multiple costume changes - for which I had assistance - and some of them were quick. Toward the end of the first week's run I had a change of assistant who was a bit slower, and I in the formal attyre headed out for the "ahscawt" scene. Didn't think a thing about it.

After the show the director's notes included the following: "Jerry and Carol; the Ascot scene was on-the-money but, Jerry, seeing as how you forgot your cane, can it for the rest of the run." Only then did it occur to me I wasn't walking on 2 and one-half.

HR

Its not just for old people. I've got a small chunk of bone in my arm that cracked off when I was wrestling. Its fun, everyonce in a while, my arm locks and I have to slam my arm full extended to release it.

Doctors said I can get it removed. I'll wait until it causes health problems, which the doctor said could be when I'm really old (or after I'll likely be dead).

I feel for ya.

Ow Greg, description sorta sounds like my latest pain (an upper limb ow-ey in my case) :

2rp7dsk.jpg

Ouch! I feel your pain Greg! In 2002, I had a mishap that left me with a shattered left knee cap. It was nine days between the accident and the surgury to fix my knee, so for nine days I was pretty much immobile with pieces of knee cap scattered around my leg between the thigh and shin.

2n8pqv7.jpg

Thanks for all the kind words and wishes. And, my own "get well" wishes to you who are also struggling.

"Be careful out there!"

Greg. I hope your feeling better.

I'd scan and post the pre-op films of my ankle after the car ran into our motorcycle in college, but I don't have them. In fact, the doctor never showed them to me. But my dad, who specialized in orthopedics as a veterinarian, did see them and commented that the doctor did a great job with what he had to work with. I'll take him at his word, but it still gives me grief 33 years later.

It hurts just looking at that thumb!

But my dad, who specialized in orthopedics as a veterinarian, did see them and commented that the doctor did a great job with what he had to work with.

Gee, thanks Dad! I once had my veterinarian father take out stitches from the sole of my (still horribly swollen and infected) foot. Cheap parents - not always fun parents. Who needs a doctor, right? Yaaaooooowwwwww!!!!!!!!!!!

Get well, soon, brother.

Back