Crosswind landings in gusty conditions

Correction... fly it until tie-down.
Was just talking to a guy yesterday who got it down safe in a strong crosswind and "stopped flying" once he was on the ground. He took out the crosswind correction, the wind lifted up a wing and he had a prop strike. He actually went around with two rounded prop tips, flew the pattern, and landed again safely.

Wind normally decreases close to the surface due to surface friction, so its logical that - all things being equal - a low wing should be a bit easier to handle in a crosswind.

But also it turns, at least we learned that in theory. Direction changes as it slows, but now I can’t recall for sure think it was CCW?

Probably operator error (me:eek:), but I noticed I get better high wind landings in the Tiger versus the previous rental 152's and 172's.
The Grummans have a higher wing loading than the Cessnas, so this would be expected.

A 19G25 crosswind is pretty much expected to be wild and woolly. Keep the nose up, take extra runway if needed and available, and use your feet liberally. Don't need to be pretty, just safe.

Add some gust factor if you must, but a lot of extra speed won't help. Just stay after the gust induced deviations.

I was landing the other day at a small airport where a helicopter was hover taxiing above the taxiway adjacent to my runway, slightly ahead of me, the turbulence I encountered on landing was very strong, I guess a down/crosswind. Beware!

but THEN you can stop flying, right?
I flew this spring, was gusting to 33 knots and picked up from there as I was taxing to the tie down. Got over the tie down, shut down, and the guy from the place I rent comes and asks how the flight was, I said great but I don't think it's over, I don't want to let off the brakes until you tie it down. He said it shouldn't be a problem, so I said ok, let the brakes off an the plane starts rolling. He said " ok, why don't I tie you down and chock it first."

Answering my own question...

Cessna 172 - 13.2 lb/sq ft
Grumman Traveler - 15.9 lb/sq ft

So, you’re basically correct. I asked because I never found Grummans to have especially heavily wing loaded.

Probably operator error (me:eek:), but I noticed I get better high wind landings in the Tiger versus the previous rental 152's and 172's.
Actually, I’m not surprised. Because of friction from the ground, the closer to the surface the slower the wind so low wing planes have lower cross winds than high wings for the same actual wind speed.

So, you’re basically correct. I asked because I never found Grummans to have especially heavily wing loaded.

And a Tiger is 17.1 vs. 10.4 lb/sf for a C152. A C152 gets jostled around pretty well in wind gusts.

That’s actually a significant enough difference to notice both in gusty winds and just plain speed. Generally a higher wing loaded plane will fly faster and a lower wing loaded plane will land slower.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was landing the other day at a small airport where a helicopter was hover taxiing above the taxiway adjacent to my runway, slightly ahead of me, the turbulence I encountered on landing was very strong, I guess a down/crosswind. Beware!

Back