Crossing into the US from Canada with an explosive device.

Samuel Seidel

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Sam
Hi, I got a quote back for repacking a ballistic parachute and it’s $6000 vs $2000 reported by an owner in Canada.

The difference in Canada is you deal directly with the manufacturer, but in the US you deal with a third party representative.

Does anyone have any information on what is required to cross into the US with an explosive device?

Hi, I got a quote back for repacking a ballistic parachute and it’s $6000 vs $2000 reported by an owner in Canada.

The difference in Canada is you deal directly with the manufacturer, but in the US you deal with a third party representative.

Does anyone have any information on what is required to cross into the US with an explosive device?
I would think that this would be a job for FedEx or similar and shipped as a Class 9 item. It would be treated much like an airbag for a car, so you'd need appropriate packaging and labeling. Surely the manufacturer can help you with those questions or even arrange shipping.

You need to contact the Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco before you end up in prison.

What airframe?

You need to contact the Alcohol, Firearms and Tobacco before you end up in prison.

Uh, no.

Hire a shipper (FedEx, etc.), disclose exactly what the device is, and the let the professionals deal with it. Chances are the Canadian manufacturer has done this before and knows how to proceed.

An unknowing amateur contacting BATFE will make a complex problem out of a simple one.

Besides, BATFE has no say on how the device gets treated on the Canadian side of the border.

Leave this to the experts.

Uh, no.

Hire a shipper (FedEx, etc.), disclose exactly what the device is, and the let the professionals deal with it. Chances are the Canadian manufacturer has done this before and knows how to proceed.

An unknowing amateur contacting BATFE will make a complex problem out of a simple one.

Besides, BATFE has no say on how the device gets treated on the Canadian side of the border.

Leave this to the experts.
You make the assumption he can import this item. Without ATF permits I don’t believe he can.

You make the assumption he can import this item. Without ATF permits I don’t believe he can.
Again, I'm POSITIVE the manufacturer of these items will have a good handle on how to deal with it. I also doubt the ATF has anything to do with it, as long as he is providing the proper packaging/labeling for the item.

Again, I'm POSITIVE the manufacturer of these items will have a good handle on how to deal with it. I also doubt the ATF has anything to do with it, as long as he is providing the proper packaging/labeling for the item.
Stop by you local Cirrus repair center and inquire about the ATF requirements for parachute service.

Or, just let the manufacturer help arrange everything.
What I am trying to tell you is I don’t believe they can ship it to him without holding the proper permits from ATF because it is an international shipment.

What I am trying to tell you is I don’t believe they can ship it to him without holding the proper permits from ATF because it is an international shipment.

I know that G4S (I think that is the name), an internationally security/courier/logistics company has done this. A friend was involved in some mining and needed to bring back unused supplies to the USA, including explosives sourced abroad from some rather interesting countries. G4S handled all the legal import and other items.

Tim

OP: have you contacted the vendor in Canada and asked them to ship it to you or the shop doing the repack?

I’m assuming this will be for an E/AB; type certificated may pose a challenge in cutting out the middle man.

But I’d bet they know what proper permits one would need from ATF and the proper ATF office to contact.

So do you have to get an ATF permit every time you fly your Cirrus in to the United States?
the authorities are pretty relaxed about installed hazmat, but carrying 1000 gallons of jet fuel across the border in Jerry cans would be a different matter, too.

That’s exactly why the intermediate company in the US exists and is charging $4000 extra for. Im interested in figuring out what the permit process is and if it’s worth doing it myself. Driving there to pick it up is not a problem. If all I need is a use permit from the ATF when I cross the border then I’m good.

I have a Pipistrel. The manufacturer of the parachute is in Europe and will ship directly to the Toronto airport for pickup. I would like to just drive it back to my home base. I doubt they would help me navigating that process.

If I really wanted to, I could fly the plane over and do the installation in Canada but would like to not do that. Installed, it is not considered in the same way, and is exempt.

That’s exactly why the intermediate company in the US exists and is charging $4000 extra for. Im interested in figuring out what the permit process is and if it’s worth doing it myself. Driving there to pick it up is not a problem. If all I need is a use permit from the ATF when I cross the border then I’m good.

I have a Pipistrel. The manufacturer of the parachute is in Europe and will ship directly to the Toronto airport for pickup. I would like to just drive it back to my home base. I doubt they would help me navigating that process.

If I really wanted to, I could fly the plane over and do the installation in Canada but would like to not do that. Installed, it is not considered in the same way, and is exempt.
Driving across the border will likely be a big problem.

Why not just fly the airplane into Canada, let them install it there, and fly it back here? Is it not airworthy without a parachute? If so, can you get a ferry permit for the install? Speaking as someone that's never flown in a plane that was equipped with a parachute, chaff dispensers, or ejection seat.

the authorities are pretty relaxed about installed hazmat, but carrying 1000 gallons of jet fuel across the border in Jerry cans would be a different matter, too.
"Those are ferry tanks" :)

Driving across the border will likely be a big problem.
And ironically moreso than walking here in Texas… no one here really thinks there aren’t occasional explosive devices crossing the Rio Grande with the cartel members.

You would have to check with customs and border protection. They will tell you what you would need or need to do.

Post-911 explosives possession became very tightly regulated. This includes squibs and things like airplane chutes.

You'd need a DOT #, (both countries) proper insurance and a hazmat endorsement to transport explosives in something with placards and an IME box to lock it in and attend the vehicle the entire time.

The shipper will not release an explosive to anyone without the proper permits.

Also you'd need a state business, proper insurance, BATFE clearance as a 'responsible person' of explosives, then your state employee possessor/blasting license and a BATFE and local fire marshal approved magazine site or a leased magazine for storage.

I think that's most of it, its been a while.

I’m definitely going into hiding now. Didn’t realize I broke ATF regulations when I flew back from Canada (after eating chili) last year.

I’ll definitely register as an explosive device next time

Back