Cross Country Logging Time

thusitha1986

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bob
Hello Pilots

Got a Questions. I fly between two different drop zones (Airports) that are 86NM apart, and fly back. Airport A to Airport B takes 1 hr flight time, and I take up skydivers up and B airport for about 5hrs and fly back to A airport. It takes another 1hr. My question is can I log Total 7hrs that i flew as cross country or juts Point A to B and back (2hrs) as cross country time? Please let me know.

Thank You.

Legally you *could* I personally would not. I would only log the flight time between A and B. And if I were a hypothetical future employer looking at your logbook, I would ask what's up with the entry, and probably tell you to come back when you have what *I* consider to be XC time.

If I were a DPE, I would probably do the same thing as if I were said employer.

Just so I get this straight. You fly from A to B and land. Then you fly multiple skydiving missions at B. Then you fly from B back to A. Do I have that right?

Whether or not it is legal, I personally would have ethical issues with that. Notwithstanding what Ed said, I am not sure that IS legal.

I would make three log entries. One for a cross country from A-B. One for the multiple lifts / local flying at B. One for a cross country from B-A.

Just so I get this straight. You fly from A to B and land. Then you fly multiple skydiving missions at B. Then you fly from B back to A. Do I have that right?

Whether or not it is legal, I personally would have ethical issues with that. Notwithstanding what Ed said, I am not sure that IS legal.

Well, I'm not going to write the CC about it, but I am certain (and I probably did at some point with an instructor in my flight training) we flew from A to B (fly a few times around the pattern) and return to A (maybe even via way of C) and we logged the entire flight. And I'm sure it happens all over. Strictly speaking, that isn't any different than what's going on in the OP scenario, just the length of time he spends at B.

I mean, they gave the OK for a repositioning flight, so....

I think your stretching the intent of cross country time if your going for a part 135 job,not sure they will be impressed with your time.

I don't see how his logging of all 7 hours is any different than taking off, flying to an airport x NM away and doing a bunch of touch and goes, eating a burger, and flying back.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...f3a43b2d30&mc=true&node=se14.2.61_11&rgn=div8

Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (ii) through (vi) of this definition, time acquired during flight—

(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;

(B) Conducted in an aircraft;

(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and

(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.

ETA: Would any of you not include the time spent doing touch and goes as cross country in my above scenario?

This sounds like a letter vs spirit of the law kind of thing.

Well, I'm not going to write the CC about it, but I am certain (and I probably did at some point with an instructor in my flight training) we flew from A to B (fly a few times around the pattern) and return to A (maybe even via way of C) and we logged the entire flight. And I'm sure it happens all over. Strictly speaking, that isn't any different than what's going on in the OP scenario, just the length of time he spends at B.

I mean, they gave the OK for a repositioning flight, so....

"Happens all over" is entirely different than legal, but I guess the OP used the phrase "can I" rather than "may I", so...

"Happens all over" is entirely different than legal, but I guess the OP used the phrase "can I" rather than "may I", so...

True, but if you fly from untowered field A to towered field B 75 miles away to log your solo towered field requirements for commercial, and knock out all 10 in one day, and fly back to A, I don't think the FAA is going to say no to the XC time.

Ahh, the trouble of DZ work, XCs and night logging.

Did you shutdown? Or were you hot fueling and loading?

I'd say if you shut down between loads, it would be multiple flights.

A -> B XC hours

B -> B local Jump ops hours

B -> A XC hours

If you didn't shutdown

A -> B (bunch of DZ ops) -> A All XC hours.

Or alteast that makes more sense, is more sellable IMO opinion.

Last edited:
True, but if you fly from untowered field A to towered field B 75 miles away to log your solo towered field requirements for commercial, and knock out all 10 in one day, and fly back to A, I don't think the FAA is going to say no to the XC time.

Maybe not, but if you come to me for an ATP ride, you're probably going to have to appeal it to them.

Last edited:
This sounds like a letter vs spirit of the law kind of thing.

Don't try to extract meaning from what is written. Landing at other than departure is definition of cross country.

Don't try to extract meaning from what is written. Landing at other than departure is definition of cross country.

But B to B is not landing at a point other than departure. It's landing at a point other than "the original point of departure", but since it's worded differently, I would take it to have a different meaning than the other reg.

Maybe not, but if you come to me for an ATP ride, you're probably going to have to appeal it to them.

Oh, I'm not saying I'd do that. I hate pattern work. I also don't agree with their it's OK to reposition, er, position.

Thanks Everyone for your opinions and feedback.

Just for the record, I have only been logging Point A to B, B to A time. Not the time between. It would rather bother me in my conscience to log the whole entire flight as CX country.

The reason I asked was, one of the previous pilots that we had here has had been logging the total of 7hrs of flight time as cross country which I wouldn't personally do.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Say you're a B-2 pilot. You fly from Knob Noster Mo to Dirtbagistan, drop the locals a house warming gift, and fly back to Knob Noster. Total flight time, 20 hours.

Can you log cross country time?

Back