Cross Country Lap Box

What everybody else said. But what I don't get is that even if you don't carry a tablet - maybe you're flying somewhere where there are hippies and pickpockets so you're just carrying a paper sectional, sure - what's the purpose of carrying an e6 vfr? You're flying where there are no ground references, have to divert to a different location, and are going to circle around a class C with ded reckoning? You've found the enemy fleet and now you need to plot a course back to the carrier? I've flown without an electrical system and without GPS, and have never used an e6 in flight. Serious question, maybe I'm missing something in my flying.

Why do I see so many anecdotes of iPads overheating? My android tablet sits in the sun on the seat next to me and has yet to overheat. Now, I did let my phone bake in the plane while it was on the ramp while I was fueling and BSing and it gave me an overheat warning, but the whole cabin was quite toasty when I got back in. A little bit of taxiing with the kool scoop cooled it right off and it was operating normally. But I've never had that happen when I've had air movement in the cabin or I get up where the OAT is not 100 degrees.

What’s a cool scoop? I just pull back my canopy and hold the phone/iPad above my head while taxiing, and it cools right down.

What everybody else said. But what I don't get is that even if you don't carry a tablet - maybe you're flying somewhere where there are hippies and pickpockets so you're just carrying a paper sectional, sure - what's the purpose of carrying an e6 vfr? You're flying where there are no ground references, have to divert to a different location, and are going to circle around a class C with ded reckoning? You've found the enemy fleet and now you need to plot a course back to the carrier? I've flown without an electrical system and without GPS, and have never used an e6 in flight. Serious question, maybe I'm missing something in my flying.

Yep! Nothing like reading the name on a water tower as you circle it, and pulling out the road atlas to see where you are! :D

When I owned a Piper, this was 100% by far the best money I ever spent on the plane.

Yeah, crack the door a little, and there's no need for A/C even when 90 out.

Yeah, crack the door a little, and there's no need for A/C even when 90 out.

Yeah, but can you do that in flight? Nothing like have the canopy on my Grumman pulled back a,little on a warm summer evening! :)

Yeah, but can you do that in flight? Nothing like have the canopy on my Grumman pulled back a,little on a warm summer evening! :)

I have had the door open in flight. Doesn't provide much air movement, but the vents do wonders at 157ktas. :)

Back