Cropdusting Video from the 70's

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
http://vimeo.com/69854648#at=0

When he skims along with the wheels just barely not touching the tops of the plants reminds me of the oft given advice to students about practicing "not landing" to learn how to manage the aircraft and energy when behind the power curve.

So scary thats wht people put on their food. So dangerous and we see why so much cancer in this world.

Other than the invention of the GPS and, sadly, the invention of the Turbine, not a lot has changed.

Thanks a lot for that. So much I enjoyed in that video; the flying, the Stearman (N52576), the hand-propping, the dog, the hangar. And what a personable young man (though not young any more). Hope he lived his dream of South America.

I did laugh at the PPE around those chemicals, i.e. none.

Last edited:
So scary thats wht people put on their food. So dangerous and we see why so much cancer in this world.

There wouldn't be enough food available to feed the world's population without those 'scary' chemicals. It's not the U.S. growers that scare me - it's the foreign growers that are using the same chemicals that we outlawed in the 70's. :hairraise:

With that said, I do try to grow as much of my own produce as possible and use as few insecticides as possible - only to squash (pun intended) some sort of infestation.

Edit: Forgot to say thanks for posting the video. I was about a week away from becoming a cropduster. After working ground crew for a cropduster for 4 seasons, I took a different full-time job. When I called my cropduster boss to tell him I wouldn't be back for the season that year, he said "I thought you were going to go to flight school and fly for me?" DOH! :mad2: We had discussed that idea in passing a few times, but I didn't think there was any serious chance of it happening.

Last edited:
I really enjoyed that. If anyone knows do they just perform a half lazy 8 to turn around? Seems that would be the easiest and quickest way to reverse course. The Stearman does very easy lazy 8's.

I really enjoyed that. If anyone knows do they just perform a half lazy 8 to turn around? Seems that would be the easiest and quickest way to reverse course. The Stearman does very easy lazy 8's.

It's called a "P-turn". You do the 'P' from the bottom, turn to the 'hump' and come back down straight down the pipe so you're lined up on your next pass.

What a crazy video to watch! $.50 per acre. ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks or posting that. Interesting video.

I was curious if that plane was still around. The N-number was canx in 2013. hmmmm....

David

Not as good as the OP, but worth a watch:

ps, when I watch these embedded, I sometimes have problems with the HD. Watch it on YT to see the full HD.

Last edited:
We're seeing all that cancer because we cured most of the stuff that used to kill people off before they got cancer.

It's a great time to be alive, yeah there are new problems associated with the new technology but I wouldn't want to live without it!

Wow that video is an absolute gem. That is the period of time that my grandpa was crop dusting in Stearmans in Mississippi.

Thanks for posting that! Everything about it is so great to watch.

Yeah, great video. Can't imagine being the poor fellow who had to stand under the spray!

When we were growing up, that was the best job you could get as a teenager. You gotta ride around at night, knocking on neighbor's doors, then flagging at the end of the field.

Show up for work a few hours before dark (most spraying was at night to not kill the bees that pollinate) to load the planes, then go warn neighbors, then go flag.

A much better job than bucking hay, detassling sweet corn, moving sprinkler pipes.

If you follow the film maker's links on Vimeo, he also just posted a movie on a Purse Seine Fishing Crew (all black) somewhere in the Gulf, similar vintage. A little bit of aviation related as there is a spotter plane, but, mostly just a 8 minute movie about what looks like a back-breaking job in hot conditions on the Gulf.

Purse Seine Fishing Video by Don Guy

http://vimeo.com/69854648#at=0

When he skims along with the wheels just barely not touching the tops of the plants reminds me of the oft given advice to students about practicing "not landing" to learn how to manage the aircraft and energy when behind the power curve.

Dang it Mike: I had the desire to become a CD out of my system until I saw this.
My problem is I am probably too old to have a real shot at doing it now, but I would love to be one. Barnstorming across America dusting and seeing this land, how wonderful that would be.
Two things I especially enjoyed, the way he went up, over and down the tree line and hand propping!

Dang it Mike ;-D:D:D

I heard of a place in or near Jupiter/Stuart Florida that trained AG pilots. Anyone hear or know of this school?
Thanks

I heard of a place in or near Jupiter/Stuart Florida that trained AG pilots. Anyone hear or know of this school?
Thanks

You're probably thinking of eagle vistas. Everyone I've talked to says that you either go there or to Flying Tigers (in LA) to get your ag training if it is needed.

Necro thread post:

Ran across this thread referenced in another forum. The video was taped in the 70's. I didn't see anywhere the video referred to the pilot by name. Who would have ever thought he would be killed in a plane crash in 2005 as one of the 10 richest men in the world.

The Cropduster

Noah W

Back