Cropduster crash!

..the 911 center received a report of “the tail of an aircraft sticking out of the standing corn”

Cropdusters don't grow on trees. They grow in corn fields.

Light damage was reported to the airplane and to “a small amount of standing corn owned by Westlund Dairy.”

If Dusty Crophopper can get back into the air, the damage to that plane will buff right out and it'll be back flying too!

Screen Shot 2018-08-03 at 11.05.32 AM.png

they sent a high ranking NTSB official out there to investigate. not sure if he was a general or a kernel.

If Dusty Crophopper can get back into the air, the damage to that plane will buff right out and it'll be back flying too!

View attachment 65861

Always liked the Pawnee. I've spent countless hours in the field with a white flag for them before GPS came into play.

Last edited:
That's a 52-year-old Cessna AgWagon, BTW.

Which one, the crashed one or Dusty Crophopper? Since Dusty is fictional and looks just like a Piper Pawnee, I'm going with that. ;)

But to get the exact age, you probably meant the crashed one. ;)

I like the Pawnee too. That was the tow plane used when I got my glider rating. But yep, it is a Cessna AgWagon that crashed. As to Dusty, I thought he looked like a turbine Air Tractor but according to this article he is "an amalgamation of three different types of crop dusters". It doesn't say which three though. Maybe a Pawnee, an AgWagon, and an Air Tractor?

He doesn't have the wing struts of the Pawnee but.....he's a Pawnee. That's my story and I'm stickin' with it! :)

Ahh that's what wrong with you. ;):)

Arkansas farm boy. I'll probably die from something as a resut of flagging for crop dusters. They put all sorts of chemicals in their hopper, both liquid and dry such as fertilizer. One time I was flagging for fertilizer and you get pelted because they fly higher. Well, the hopper must have contained liquid before and each place I got nailed (on my arms) had a little ring of blood around it due to some chemical reaction between the fertilizer and the liquid.

We'll see I guess.

Arkansas farm boy. I'll probably die from something as a resut of flagging for crop dusters. They put all sorts of chemicals in their hopper, both liquid and dry such as fertilizer. One time I was flagging for fertilizer and you get pelted because they fly higher. Well, the hopper must have contained liquid before and each place I got nailed (on my arms) had a little ring of blood around it due to some chemical reaction between the fertilizer and the liquid.

We'll see I guess.

Hope not Tim but exposure like that isn't good. Especially back when you probably did it a lot nastier chemicals were being dropped. Easier now using GPS and no flagmen, and safer.

Yep, I also didn't have a car seat, bike helmet, or elbow pads when I was a kid. Different times.

Flying home from OSH we were listening on 122.75 to some dusters who were shooting the sht and coordinating their passes with each other... One guy was complaining about having spectators hanging out on the fence, the other was complaining about some red-dyed load that was making his plane filthy. They briefly discussed trading fields. Third guy chimed in that he was done for the day and heading back to base to drink all the beer. Good times.

Back