Critique my Alaska/Canada survival kit

It ain’t math when it involves your kid, poser.

No it is, math and science don't care about your children, nor does the bear, nor do the ballistic charts, nor does reality.

More energy = more dead

Full stop.

Plus as someone who builds and doesn't just buy guns, I'm not the one you and your cabelas card should be calling a poser.

But check this out
I've taken girls out shooting who have never even shot a BB gun, time and time again they are always more accurate with a long gun.

For someone who ain't putting tons of lead down range every week long guns are more accurate and more powerful, AND the same is even true with people who are experienced, long guns are more accurate and more powerful.

Now since you don't exactly need to conceal your firearm in the middle of no where, and since slinging a shotgun vs a hand cannon in a chest rig isn't too different to the draw, and more over factoring in the increased accuracy, power and multi role utility of a 12G, I'm not sure how you can argue against the 12G over a pistol using facts....and thus you brought up "the children"

Bears are tiny in NW Alaska! :) The AK Peninsula and Kodiak Archipeligo? Wowza!

Very true. The bears around the Seward peninsula, Kodiak and Katmai area get a good variety of food in their diet and they grow big. The poor bears up north and northwest just get moose and caribou to eat. And the occasional slow human.

Of course the bears in Katmai National Park haven't been hunted in over 30 years and they know humans are harmless. I had a very large male grizzly pass by at 12 measured feet. We could hear him breathe as he walked by. What made me nervous is that we were between him and his lady bear. But he just walked by and didn't even mind us taking his picture.....

A female nursed her two cubs at about 50 feet away. We could hear the cubs doing the bear purr as they nursed.

The bears are cool, that is what keeps me going back to Alaska. I don't hunt bears, but I have no problem with people that do.

James, you’re as boring and cocky as ever. Do your paper targets ever bite back?

Cor Bon 440gr hard cast in the 500 mag. Look up your math charts. I’ve shot bears with my shotguns, too. I carry what works better, especially when carrying inside of fishing waders, where I routinely share the water with bears. Like on Kodiak. Or in my cabin yard.

No Cabelas for me. I’m a Mt View Sports guy.

I’d rather build airplanes than guns. My newest one rolls out tomorrow for ground testing electrics and doing fuel system checks. No time to play on the shooting range.

James, you’re as boring and cocky as ever. Do your paper targets ever bite back?

Cor Bon 440gr hard cast in the 500 mag. Look up your math charts. I’ve shot bears with my shotguns, too. I carry what works better, especially when carrying inside of fishing waders, where I routinely share the water with bears. Like on Kodiak. Or in my cabin yard.

No Cabelas for me. I’m a Mt View Sports guy.

Ok dirty harry, but for the rest of us we are more accurate with a long gun, better chance of hitting a target, better to carry through other countries, faster target re acquisition and follow up shot, shoots flares, shoots bird shot, easily and more weildly mounts weapon lights, etc etc etc

But we get it, you like your cow boy stuff. I like a bunch of impractical stuff too, you should see my speed boat.

300+ yards in a 35G50 crosswind with rain using a 270 Win. I’m not too worried about my ability to fill the freezer. Or you!

Attachments

• 5D19DA28-A780-42E6-825C-7784833F030B.jpeg
    5D19DA28-A780-42E6-825C-7784833F030B.jpeg
    314.2 KB · Views: 24
300+ yards in a 35G50 crosswind with rain using a 270 Win. I’m not too worried about my ability to fill the freezer. Or you!

How is that even relevant?

You stalked and shot a herbivore from a range where posed zero threat to you and likely didn't know you were even hunting it.

That's a bit different from hearing movement and having to take a snap shot at 35yrds at a very angry apex predator bear who wants to disembowl you.

True, and one of us has done both! Although 35 yards is like 100 feet and that doesn’t warrant a defensive shot. Try 20 feet. How about beating the crap out of a bear with an 8’ stud? Wanna talk bear stories? I’ve got some.

What a crock, you need to learn Canadian gun laws. I've had my hand gun in Canada more time than I can count.

So do you. There is no legal carry for handguns in Canada, even for hunting or self protection.

True, and one of us has done both! Although 35 yards is like 100 feet and that doesn’t warrant a defensive shot. Try 20 feet. How about beating the crap out of a bear with an 8’ stud? Wanna talk bear stories? I’ve got some.

Well

Isn’t there a provision to transport in a locked case?

All this gun talk is fun but in the context of the thread its silly. You won’t need a gun to visit Alaska or Canada. You’ll be transiting, not standing your ground, Road flares. They’re your friend. You can go Obie wan Kanobie on that bear with a flare and become a Youtube superstar. Oh, oh, oh... pack a video cam!

So do you. There is no legal carry for handguns in Canada, even for hunting or self protection.
Hand guns are a restricted weapon in Canada, you must be a registered hand gun owner.
You are wrong again. Read the rules.
http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/index-eng.htm
To own/carry a restricted weapon in Canada requires a long and involved process, but it is possible, and you won't arbitrarily be thrown in jail.
So read the rules, and stop spreading wrong info.

A spare alternator belt is likely to be more handy than a firearm.
I was thinking, be certain your aircraft is up to the chore, and you won't need half of this stuff.
plan your route over highways, is it legal to land on them. and if you do land on a highway The RCMP will be by shortly.

One way to carry a restricted weapon in Canada, but you gotta have friends :). It's handy that all my cousins have licenses.

See subsection 91(4) of the Criminal Code. An example of these exceptions is that an unlicensed person may possess and use a firearm if they are under the direct supervision of a person who is licenced to do so.

My airplane will be in top condition, doing an extensive annual at the moment and fixing/replacing anything at all that might need it :) The outbound flight to Anchorage should give plenty of time over more comfortable country to pick up any just-out-of-maintenance niggles.

How cushy the camp gear is depends on your budget (the good stuff isn't even close to cheap) and what your accommodations plans are along the route. A heavily loaded 182 isn't a bush plane so I figure runways and motels are on the agenda.

The plan will be camping everywhere that it's practical, and away from civilization as much as possible, but I'll be looking to use non-tarmac airports mostly, rather than any off-airport stuff. Might do some off-airport in future with larger tires and a Sportsman STOL!

The route is aggressive. Probably too aggressive. That's some hostile and unforgiving country up there. Most city dwellers have no concept of how big and remote the north is, and how small and insignificant you are in it.

I have two months total assigned to do this, with no hard deadlines at any point. Have flown routes such as London to Cape Town in the past in similar aircraft, over similar time lines, so I'll be fully conscious of the risks. I always appreciate a reminder though, can never be too conscious of this stuff.

Plan, pack, prepare, and have a great trip!

Thanks!

I'd also plan to stop for fuel whenever you can (Galena, Bethel, etc.), even if you think you won't need it, just so that there are always more turning-back options, especially once you're off the road system, heading into western Alaska. Or the far north. Or the southwest. Or the middle. :)

That is very much the plan! My mechanic is just finishing up installation of Flint tip tanks to give me an extra 24 gallons, to add to my current 88 usable. I'll be filling up everywhere it's practical.

Please tell us what "Greater Green River Intergalactic Spaceport" and "Tribble Ranch" are like! Never heard of those places, but they sound awesome...

Tribble Ranch is a private strip belonging to a friend of mine in the middle of nowhere, Manitoba :)

Buying fuel along your northern route is gonna hurt. Any idea what the fuel costs are these days? The potential for a $1,000.00 fill up isn't far fetched.

One of the things I'm working on as my Alaska trip draws near is the survival gear. I've checked the regulations for both areas, and also looked at a few websites offering their own advice. So far I have come up with the following:

1 week food in bear-proof containers

I am curious: What is a bear-proof food container, and how do you carry it on your person? Does a baggy count? Even though our trip is nowhere near as ambitious as yours, it sounds like bears are pretty common, even in Anchorage. We have a flare gun but no firearms, just in case.

@Katamarino, Leslie and I plan to be in Anchorage between June 6 and June 11. Do you know when you might be there?

BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS
4a8.gif

BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS BEARS

Buying fuel along your northern route is gonna hurt. Any idea what the fuel costs are these days? The potential for a $1,000.00 fill up isn't far fetched.
There was a day Eagle was the only fuel up there. Anywhere else you had to stash your own fuel.

You need camping equipment, communication equipment , mosquito repellent and if planning overwater route inflatable jacket.

I am curious: What is a bear-proof food container, and how do you carry it on your person? Does a baggy count? Even though our trip is nowhere near as ambitious as yours, it sounds like bears are pretty common, even in Anchorage. We have a flare gun but no firearms, just in case.

@Katamarino, Leslie and I plan to be in Anchorage between June 6 and June 11. Do you know when you might be there?

Bears are pretty good at ripping into things, even airplanes, to get food, and have an amazing sense of smell. You should store any food away from your aircraft and yourself, in a bear-proof container, or suspended high off the ground. I'm going to buy a couple of these: https://www.bearvault.com/

I'll keep them out of the airplane to try and prevent any bear ripping its way in.

I'll be in Anchorage later in the month, unfortunately!

Kat, one thing that has not been mentioned is a simple metal whistle. Under $3 at WallyWorld.

It just may help a lot in alerting rescuers exactly where you are, it doesn't weigh and isn't big enough to be a burden. Never runs out of battery or air pressure (unless you do, too - and then you do have a problem!)

Have fun on the trip!

If you shoot a bear in self defence you aren't allowed to keep, clean him or transport him. Just finish him off and leave him where he is.

Last edited:
That is very much the plan! My mechanic is just finishing up installation of Flint tip tanks to give me an extra 24 gallons, to add to my current 88 usable. I'll be filling up everywhere it's practical.

Tribble Ranch is a private strip belonging to a friend of mine in the middle of nowhere, Manitoba :)

Forgot to ask, do you have a mogas STC?

That can come in handy

Isn’t there a provision to transport in a locked case?

All this gun talk is fun but in the context of the thread its silly. You won’t need a gun to visit Alaska or Canada. You’ll be transiting, not standing your ground, Road flares. They’re your friend. You can go Obie wan Kanobie on that bear with a flare and become a Youtube superstar. Oh, oh, oh... pack a video cam!
Lol, I've been shooting for a good while, target, competition, hunting, etc, I've built firearms from blocks of 7000series aluminum, more over I have at least a 4th grade understanding of math and this know which number is bigger.

More energy transfer = more dead

44mag pistol

image.jpg

12G buck shot, with its much larger multi pellet spread which helps in shooter error

image.jpg

12G slug, still more likely to hit the target compared to a hand cannon, and check out that energy transfer!!
image.jpg

It's really just math, plus the average rookie is much more accurate and safe with a long gun vs a super heavy revolver.

And add to that a 12G can also shoot bird shot to take out a duck or goose or something for you to eat if you're bushwacked for a while

Aaaand add to that a 12G can shoot a marine flare to signal for help

....but you can't swagger around like John Wayne with a practical shotgun like you can with that 44mag revolver, so I guess it comes down to if you want to survive or do you want to live out some childhood cowboy or John Wayne fetish. To each their own

For a close shot on a charging bear, I’ll take the .69 caliber 12ga slug.

For a close shot on a charging bear, I’ll take the .69 caliber 12ga slug.

Come to think about it, since the OP is English he could just leave some English food out and maybe a British comedy playing on a little TV, that'll drive most anything away ;)

A couple of things to consider. First, would be the proficiency of the shooter with the weapon. Shot placement is way, way up there in terms of effectiveness: a miss from a more powerful gun is certainly no better than a solid hit from a less potent round. For the less practiced shooter, the vote goes to the long gun. Second, as a survival weapon, versatility is important. Because we are not traveling with the entire gun cabinet in the plane, it's helpful to remember that slugs/buckshot can provide defense against larger animals, but by simply changing ammunition we have a gun with utility for harvesting birds or small game. By packing appropriate flares, we also have a useful signaling device. Seems to me that the vote goes to the long gun, again.

Handguns are wonderful, and certainly have their place, but the amount of disciplined practice required to use it effectively cannot be overstated. Anyone who has this skill is gifted in eye, hand, and mind --the average comer would best be served by something more intuitive and simple: the long gun. Just my nsho. Blessings.

PS: Don't get me started on what kind of flint makes the best spear tip.

This bunch in Norway figured out best way to stop charging bear is to shoot him with a FLARE gun. It stops his charge and he runs away..

You need camping equipment, communication equipment , mosquito repellent and if planning overwater route inflatable jacket.

Although others covered it, you left out first aid stuff. Wouldn’t want to bleed all over the menagerie of airplane parts so much that your estate has to sell them to Wentworth instead of you. :) LOL.

What a crock, you need to learn Canadian gun laws. I've had my hand gun in Canada more time than I can count.
Try it now, Tom. Things have changed. Big time.

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/F-11.6/page-4.html#h-11

Authorized Transportation of Firearms

17 Subject to sections 19 and 20, a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, the holder of the registration certificate for which is an individual, may be possessed only at the dwelling-house of the individual, as recorded in the Canadian Firearms Registry, or at a place authorized by a chief firearms officer.

Marginal note:Transporting and using prohibited firearms or restricted firearms

• 19 (1) An individual who holds a licence authorizing the individual to possess prohibited firearms or restricted firearms may be authorized to transport a particular prohibited firearm or restricted firearm between two or more specified places for any good and sufficient reason, including, without restricting the generality of the foregoing,
      • (a) for use in target practice, or a target shooting competition, under specified conditions or under the auspices of a shooting club or shooting range that is approved under section 29;

• (a.1) to provide instructions in the use of firearms as part of a restricted firearms safety course that is approved by the federal Minister; or

• (b) if the individual
        • (i) changes residence,

• (ii) wishes to transport the firearm to a peace officer, firearms officer or chief firearms officer for registration or disposal in accordance with this Act or Part III of the Criminal Code,

• (iii) wishes to transport the firearm for repair, storage, sale, exportation or appraisal, or

• (iv) wishes to transport the firearm to a gun show.
        • Target practice or competition
          (1.1) In the case of an authorization to transport issued for a reason referred to in paragraph (1)(a) within the province where the holder of the authorization resides, the specified places must include all shooting clubs and shooting ranges that are approved under section 29 and that are located in that province.
        Definition of a restricted firearm
        According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:
        1. a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
        2. a firearm that
          • is not a prohibited firearm,
          • has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and
          • is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,
        3. a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or
        4. a firearm of any other kind that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm

Last edited:
Although others covered it, you left out first aid stuff. Wouldn’t want to bleed all over the menagerie of airplane parts so much that your estate has to sell them to Wentworth instead of you. :) LOL.

http://www.liveactionsafety.com/qui...MIneOv6JiT2wIVl1mGCh3evAwqEAQYAiABEgLn7vD_BwE

And

http://www.liveactionsafety.com/isr...MIr7G2_5iT2wIVRFqGCh1-hQMjEAQYASABEgJY1fD_BwE

Quick clot is awesome stuff, burns like a mofo, but it does work, check out how it saves the bacon

Unless a pilot has plenty of mountain flying experience, I would follow the Alaska Highway. That planned route takes you over VERY remote, very rough country, and the weather can be suddenly nasty. Plenty of people have disappeared forever in places like that. Even with a 406 ELT (highly recommended), the chances of surviving and being found are small indeed.

And there is a way around.

Transporting and using prohibited firearms or restricted firearms
  • Criminal Code,
  • (iii) wishes to transport the firearm for repair, storage, sale, exportation or appraisal, or
  • (iv) wishes to transport the firearm to a gun show.
  • Marginal note:Target practice or competition
    (1.1) In the case of an authorization to transport issued for a reason referred to in paragraph (1)(a) within the province where the holder of the authorization resides, the specified places must include all shooting clubs and shooting ranges that are approved under section 29 and that are located in that province.

Non-residents
(3) A non-resident may be authorized to transport a particular restricted firearm between specified places in accordance with sections 35 and 35.1.

It is a long process, but a US citizen can become a licensed gun owner in Canada.

That's why I do the shot gun thing when transiting Canada.
Now doing the air rifle home work. there are some awesome air gun out there now.

I put together a survival kit for my trip last June to Alaska. It weighed 45 lbs but my route was much more straightforward between major Canadian cities often over highways and the ALCAN. Your routing in Northern Canada looks very ambitious, but with 110 gallons of fuel, you have a great deal of flexibility, and you'll need it given the desolation and few locations for avgas. But that's part of the adventure.

With regard to bear deterrent, inspite of the warnings about potential catastrophic discharge within a plane, I purchased my deterrent from UDAP and purchased their special safety containers that they claim prevent the spray from getting out.
The other thing, I rented a sat phone inexpensively for a 2 week period, but for your 2 month journey, a purchase might make more economic sense.

Back