Criminal Record and Chances of getting 1st Class Med

H

Hopeful

Hello. I have a bit of a criminal record, and am really hoping to get a 1st class med, at least eventually, and am wondering what you fine people may think my chances are, as well as any advice you might be able to give. If I cannot get to professional flying I will probably skip the med and go with a SPL, but really hope to make a career out of this, even if it doesn't include flying for an airline. Just to start with, I have not filled out the MedXpress form yet, and am looking for a local AME for a consultation with as well.
Here is my "Record"
2007 - Violation of Basic Speed Law (18 yrs old and not paying attention, rear ended someone causing damage to only my vehicle, no injuries.)
2009 - Defective Equipment (Loud Muffler, got a "Fix-It" Ticket)
2010 - Defective Equipment (Another loud muffler and "Fix-It Ticket)
2015 - Felony Embezzlement >$1000 but <$20000 (Stupid. I did something I will always regret, but am doing what I can to move past it.)
2018 - Possession of Marijuana (Complete abstinence after this point, no failed drug tests)

Only the possession charge involved drugs, never any alcohol. And it was a one time thing.

It is possible. Not much need to consult an AME - just report on med-express the same you reported here.

Should I expect a deferral? Currently I assume I would, but would be happy to hear if it isn’t very likely.

Most don’t seem bad, except the felony thing. Without question you need to keep things clean now, though I don’t know the particulars of effecting a medical.

The 1st class medical is required for exercising the privileges of an ATP certificate. To qualify for an ATP certificate you must be a person of good moral character.

Does "no failed drug tests" since 2018 mean that you have actually been drug tested? If so, the reason for the drug testing would be important.

most definitely!

Should I be looking into HIMS or anything else special? And for that matter, should I get together any court information before I head to the AME? (That is why I was assuming the need for a consult, to see what all I should get together instead of having a short timeframe of 10 days to find everything. )

Does "no failed drug tests" since 2018 mean that you have actually been drug tested? If so, the reason for the drug testing would be important.

If I had any they were involved with probation from the charges, but I believe there was only one or two at most.

Should I be looking into HIMS or anything else special? And for that matter, should I get together any court information before I head to the AME? (That is why I was assuming the need for a consult, to see what all I should get together instead of having a short timeframe of 10 days to find everything. )

Popping this back up to see if anyone has any more input? TIA

Popping this back up to see if anyone has any more input? TIA

Best advice I have is to retain Dr. Fowler or Dr. Chien, and have them walk you through the process, step-by-step. If you're going to get deferred, there will be many hoops through which you'll have to jump, and one of the good docs will be able to help you avoid problems. If you're serious about this, spend the money on one of them and let them guide you.

How to do this is a blend of money vs time. If you bomb on in and do a medical it will for sure take the longest time.
If you take the time to substantiate the assertion of sobriety (weed, alcohol) and then go in armed with a favorable HIMS psychiatryist evaluation, you might get through on the first time.

The trouble is, that getting meaningful FAA psychiatry review is takings MONTHS currently, as in SEVEN.

B

So would all of these apply (like the need of a HIMS psych eval, and non-dependency proofs) in order to get any class medical? Though I would love to work as a pilot for even a regional or for that matter survey, I would be just as happy to work as a CFI and have less restrictions than a sport license would give.

How to do this is a blend of money vs time. If you bomb on in and do a medical it will for sure take the longest time.
If you take the time to substantiate the assertion of sobriety (weed, alcohol) and then go in armed with a favorable HIMS psychiatryist evaluation, you might get through on the first time.

The trouble is, that getting meaningful FAA psychiatry review is takings MONTHS currently, as in SEVEN.

B

I tried to respond earlier, so sorry if this posts twice.
Would the HIMS be necessary for all classes of medical? If I were to try for a third to get a PPL and possibly Instrument and eventually looking at CFI or something similar, would I be looking at the same hurdles?

I believe that yes, you would have to go through all that to get any class of medical.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back