Crew Resource Management

K

KennyFlys

While searching out any more material that may be of help in my CFI oral, I came across this video on "Crew Resource Management." I'm not entirely sure where the subject applies but it certainly caught my attention.

Perhaps it shows a F/O can't just stand by and allow the captain to make a mistake? :dunno: I still got a chuckle out of it. :)

The guy in the F/O seat appears to be John Wayne... what movie is this from?

Attachments

• CRM.wmv
    844.7 KB · Views: 34
While searching out any more material that may be of help in my CFI oral, I came across this video on "Crew Resource Management." I'm not entirely sure where the subject applies but it certainly caught my attention.

Perhaps it shows a F/O can't just stand by and allow the captain to make a mistake? :dunno: I still got a chuckle out of it. :)

The guy in the F/O seat appears to be John Wayne... what movie is this from?

That's it... just like that...

Are you saying you don't know the Duke on sight? Cripes almighty, what is this world coming to!
It's not a direct view of his face, so... But, take solace the Duke's the first one I thought of when I saw him. I grew up seeing his movies in my childhood as well.

Now, who was the guy in the captain's seat? My first thought is Robert Stack.

Actually, I just gave up and checked IMDB.com. I was right. I'm not lost, Richard... yet. :)

If used properly, CRM can keep a crew from becoming the main focus of an FAA or NTSB report.

FWIW, after decades in the vaults, "The High and the Mighty" was just re-released last year on disc and for play on cable movie networks -- a very welcome return, and yes, a great CRM training film (watch the whole thing, as it's full of good lessons).

A classic!! Shot back when a guy could slap his FO and get a "thanks; I guess I needed that". :D

An yes, for all its corniness, it's dripping with good aviation lore... because Ernest Gann wrote it. ;D

Wasn't there a TV commercial for an aftershave based on that scene, where the FO slaps the aftershave onto the Captain's face, and the Capt. says, "Thanks, I needed that!"?

I use that clip in my CRM presentations. It's got everything - Leadership, Followership, Command, Decision Making, Workload Management, etc. Great stuff and I always get a chuckle from my clients. Even the European folks recognize John Wayne and Robert Stack.

Back