Crew/Passenger Briefings

RyansPlace

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Ryan
BLUF: Is a separate passenger brief required in addition to a crew brief prior to flight or can I perform a combined crew/passenger brief?

Background: I keep hearing that examiners have been emphasizing crew/passenger briefs. In the Practical Test Standards (PTS) Guide TAB B, paragraph 4 under the preflight procedures, it states "Briefs occupants on the use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, doors, and emergency procedures." This is essentially the brief passengers receive from flight attendants on commercial airlines. I’m yet to find a task in the PTS that details requirements for a crew briefing.

I merged a few military checklists and adapted them for private use. The checklist below fulfills the PTS requirements. Could/should I use this on a check ride? What formats do you use for your briefings? I'm interested to see other checklists.

CREW/PASSENGER BRIEFING CHECKLIST

1. Flight overview.
2. Weather. (Departure, en route, destination, and alternate if required).
3. Notices to airmen (NOTAMs).
4. Flight route.
5. Refueling requirements.
6. Crew callouts, duties, and responsibilities.a. Transfer of the controls. (Three-way positive transfer. Verbal. Visual. Physical).
b. Emergency actions.
(1) Engine failure.
(2) Fire and use of fire extinguisher
(3) Egress procedures and rendezvous point.
(4) Injured personnel removal.
c. Emergency and safety equipment.
(1) Wear of safety belts and shoulder harnesses
(2) Operation of doors
(3) Fire extinguisher
d. General crew duties.
(1) Pilot on the controls.
(a) Fly the aircraft (primary focus outside).
(b) Avoid traffic or obstacles.
(c) Cross-check instrument systems.
(d) Monitor and transmit on assigned radios.
(2) Pilot not on the controls.
(a) Avoid traffic or obstacles.
(b) Operate COM/NAV systems.
(c) Navigate.
(d) Copy clearances and other information.
(e) Cross-check instrument systems.
(f) Monitor and transmit on assigned radios.
(g) Perform other duties as assigned by the P*.
(3) Crew coordination elements
(a) Communicate positively.
(b) Direct assistance.
(c) Announce actions.
(d) Offer assistance.
(e) Acknowledge actions.
(f) Be explicit.
(g) Provide aircraft control and obstacle advisories.
(h) Coordinate action sequence and timing.
7. Required items (publications, etc)
8. Analysis of the aircraft.
a. Logbook and preflight deficiencies.
b. Performance planning card
(1) Takeoff landing data (TOLD).
(2) Required flight deviations based on aircraft performance or weather.
c. Flight modifications based on aircraft analysis.
9. Risk assessment considerations.
10. Crewmember questions, comments, and acknowledgment of the mission briefing.

Last edited:
Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on.

:dunno:

I'm kidding of course.

I think you have it covered. :D

Last edited:
Personally I don't use a written briefing. I've found that the following placards are sufficient...

CoPilotChecklist_zps288bd78b.jpg

Checklist_zps6ac795c9.jpg

I'm kidding of course.

I've been known to give that as my pre-flight briefing to certain passengers.

Check the 135 regs for the required list and adapt it for your 91 use.

Well, that will certainly do, but it's some serious overkill.

If this is for a private pilot checkride, you don't have a crew to brief. Just tell the right-seater (DPE) what you expect of him. Probably something like look for traffic, no smoking, keep yer mitts off the controls unless you have permission, don't exit the aircraft while the engine is running, prop = slicer/dicer, here's how to buckle your safety belt even though you've done it 10,000 times, shut up in the pattern.

IRL I like to brief the passengers about the type of departure, time enroute, expected weather (especially any amount of turbulence), warn that the stall warning going off right before touchdown is normal, not an underwear-fouling event, and in a Cessna, warn that seats have been known to slide backwards on takeoff and if it happens just let it; it won't go far -- and DO NOT grab the yoke.

You can add, "or I'll crush your windpipe," to show your authority.
hehehe

Do not do this with the DPE though; they tend to just get out at that point.

Seriously, though, I've found that a proper passenger briefing shows the passengers that the pilot takes his responsibilities seriously.

Do you know what's on the 135 list? How many are on the list? Which part do you consider overkill? Do you think an examiner would be more impressed if you use a standard format that covers the items the FAA thinks are important, or something you made up yourself that has more to do with general information vs safety issues?

Well, that will certainly do, but it's some serious overkill.

If this is for a private pilot checkride, you don't have a crew to brief. Just tell the right-seater (DPE) what you expect of him. Probably something like look for traffic, no smoking, keep yer mitts off the controls unless you have permission, don't exit the aircraft while the engine is running, prop = slicer/dicer, here's how to buckle your safety belt even though you've done it 10,000 times, shut up in the pattern.

IRL I like to brief the passengers about the type of departure, time enroute, expected weather (especially any amount of turbulence), warn that the stall warning going off right before touchdown is normal, not an underwear-fouling event, and in a Cessna, warn that seats have been known to slide backwards on takeoff and if it happens just let it; it won't go far -- and DO NOT grab the yoke.

All the passenger briefing items are listed in Part 91.519. Obviously all six don't necessarily apply in your case. While your crew briefing card is a good Army dual pilot brief, it's ultimately up to your CFI or DPE on what format they want. They might require a slightly different positive transfer of controls, the crew duties might be modified and the elements, while common in the Army might not be what the instructor requires. So it's best to just sit down with your CFI and figure out what specifically he or she wants briefed. The school itself might even have its own briefing card that they use.

BLUF: Is a separate passenger brief required in addition to a crew brief prior to flight or can I perform a combined crew/passenger brief?

Background: I keep hearing that examiners have been emphasizing crew/passenger briefs. In the Practical Test Standards (PTS) Guide TAB B, paragraph 4 under the preflight procedures, it states "Briefs occupants on the use of safety belts, shoulder harnesses, doors, and emergency procedures." This is essentially the brief passengers receive from flight attendants on commercial airlines. I’m yet to find a task in the PTS that details requirements for a crew briefing.

I merged a few military checklists and adapted them for private use. The checklist below fulfills the PTS requirements. Could/should I use this on a check ride? What formats do you use for your briefings? I'm interested to see other checklists.

Overkill. Keep it short and simple.

Ok, i've clearly over thought the the matter *slightly embarrassed*. Way to rip on the new guy. Anyway, I came across a passenger brief in an FAA news magazine that looks to fit the bill. Though, it's much less detailed then what i'm used to.

Passenger SAFETY Brief

S- Seat belts fastened for taxi, takeoff, landing.
Shoulder harnesses fastened for takeoff, landing.
Seat position adjusted and locked in place.

A - Air vents (location and operation)
All environmental controls (discussed)

F - Fire extinguisher (location and operation)

E - Exit doors (how to secure; how to open)
Emergency evacuation plan
Emergency survival kit (location and contents)
Equipment (location and operation)

T - Traffic (scanning, spotting, notifying pilot)
Talking ("Sterile cockpit" expectations)

Y - Your questions

I'm training with a private instructor so a lot of the technique i'm just making up as I go along.

Ok, i've clearly over thought the the matter *slightly embarrassed*. Way to rip on the new guy. Anyway, I came across a passenger brief in an FAA news magazine that looks to fit the bill. Though, it's much less detailed then what i'm used to.

I'm training with a private instructor so a lot of the technique i'm just making up as I go along.

- Ripping on the new guy is supposed to be reserved for Spin Zone
- I really like your abbreviated list and might steal it
- Welcome to POA!

[S.A.F.E.T.Y. BRIEFING]

This is the one I use. I'm not flying a 747, I'm flying a 172. I tailor it to the intelligence of the passenger and any known problems (sickness, drunk, etc.). It's never failed, and people are receptive and appreciative of my concerns for their safety.

Seriously, though, I've found that a proper passenger briefing shows the passengers that the pilot takes his responsibilities seriously.

This is an excellent point. Especially after the read the "Experimental Aircraft Warning" placard I'm required to have. :rofl:

I do go over emergency procedures and ask them to help look for traffic if they want. I also explain the instrument monitor system so they can see how much fuel we have. :lol:

I've been known to give that as my pre-flight briefing to certain passengers.

But the dogs don't care what you say to them as long as you are talking to them. At least that is how my Lab reacts to my discussions with her.

Do you know what's on the 135 list? How many are on the list? Which part do you consider overkill? Do you think an examiner would be more impressed if you use a standard format that covers the items the FAA thinks are important, or something you made up yourself that has more to do with general information vs safety issues?

Information overload for the passengers is overkill. This is not a 135 operation. Do you want there to be actual information transfer here -- remember this is a safety procedure -- or have the passengers completely tune out like they do in virtually every 121 flight?

Blasting dozens of bits of information regardless of whether they are relevent or helpful is confusing to the passengers, and is functionally equivalent to skipping the briefing entirely.

I think the examiner will be impressed if you meet PTS standards. Period. Full stop. Going well beyond that is not always better.

S- Seat belts fastened for taxi, takeoff, landing.
Shoulder harnesses fastened for takeoff, landing.
Seat position adjusted and locked in place.

I see no reason to suggest that the belts come off during flight. It's not like someone is going to get out of their seat to stretch their legs in my LSA - or even a big Cessna 150. I make sure they get buckled in OK.

A - Air vents (location and operation)
All environmental controls (discussed)

That's an easy one. And not a bad idea in something complex like a 150/172.

I do explain the door latch - it is kind of quirky. But what would be an evacuation plan? Open the door and get out?
No survival kit.
What equipment would this cover?

T - Traffic (scanning, spotting, notifying pilot)
Talking ("Sterile cockpit" expectations)

OK

Y - Your questions

Good idea.

A lot depends on the persons background - if they have never been in a small plane before you might mention that there will be a lot of rocking and rolling from turbulance - and that it's no big deal. Also, they don't have to worry about falling out because it's like riding a bicycle - you stay balanced in the seat.

I point out that if the door does pop open it makes a big bang but the airplane flys OK and we will wait until we get on the ground to fix it. And they won't fall out.

Point out that, unlike the movies, you don't loose control if the engine quits.

I advise them that if I ask, they let me take over the controls. (And I will do the takeoff and landing if they are non-pilots.)

I always liked this one (for selected passengers:D). I stole it from someone on the internet a few years ago but I don't recall who it was.

Important Passenger Boarding Information

Welcome aboard this non-commercial flight in the vicinity of S.E Mich. We will be departing shortly and with any luck at all will continue to be airborne until our return to our departure point. You will be instructed to fasten your seat belt and you are expected to obey the aircraft captain in every other instance. Please make sure your seatbelt is on and that your seat is securely fastened to the fuselage. At this time, any personal items should be stowed securely in the trunk of your car since there is no overhead compartment or space beneath your seat to speak of. Please turn off all portable electronic devices and keep them off until we have landed safely - or for the duration of the flight, whichever comes first. Smoking is not permitted inside the cabin; any smoke seen outside the cabin should be reported to the captain immediately.

There is no beverage service during the flight. If you need to make a bathroom stop, do so prior to our departure. In-flight entertainment will consist of watching the pilot's desperate struggle to control the plane. We'll be flying at an altitude deemed, in the opinion of the pilot, to be safe and most likely to avoid other aircraft. This is in theory; but, should the plane's altitude drop precipitously, please check to ensure that the pilot is awake and in an upright position.

As we prepare for takeoff, please take this opportunity to locate the exit nearest you and, if you have any sense at all, avail yourself of it before it's too late. In a moment, the pilot will begin handing out the release forms in preparation for takeoff. Be assured that in all his time aloft, the pilot has never lost a passenger; however, your results may vary. Now sit back, relax, and enjoy your flight.

The examiner should give you his/her own brief on his/her role during the flight; other than that, you treat the examiner as a non-pilot passenger, and brief him/her accordingly. The minimum legal requirements in your passenger brief are seat belt use, smoking, and egress, but if you have a fire extinguisher, its location and use of is pretty strongly advised. What you got in FAA Safety magazine is what they'd like to see. The military "crew brief" on all the other stuff isn't relevant to a single-piloted light plane.

I keep a safety briefing word doc on my hard drive - this is what's in it:

Seatbelts - Seatbelt are required at all times, shoulder harnesses in the front seat. It’s not like we can get up and walk around, so do what I do and just keep it on. Here’s how the seatbelt works.

Air - If you’re too hot or too cold, let me know – there are vents and heat that we can adjust. If you’re wearing a coat, I’ll suggest you take it off, it really won’t be that cold in the plane…you can always wrap up later. If you find that you’re not feeling well, let me know.

Fire Extinguisher – The fire extinguisher won't be needed, but it's between the seats. There's nothing special about it, but here's how it works. I really don't want to set it off while we're in the plane unless we have to.

Emergencies - You have your own door on your side, it opens by pulling up on the handle in the armrest. If for some odd reason we wind up landing someplace that isn't an airport, we'll plan to each exit on our own side and we'll get together about 100’ behind the airplane. If push came to shove, you could crawl over the seats and go out the baggage door too. Under no circumstances, ever, walk in front of the airplane.

Talking - While we're flying, I'm going to ask you look outside for other airplanes and just let me know where they are. Also while we're flying, your headset let's us talk, but while taking off and landing, we'll keep any conversation to just the topic of flying.

Your questions?

Many years ago, I was flying right seat from Denver to San Francisco with Ray, an Air Force buddy who owned the plane, and another passenger, who had asked if he could hitch a ride.
Ray gave us his "required" safety briefing. "put your seat belt on, NOW!".
As we are taxiing, Ray looks back and sees the passenger unbuckle the seat belt. Ray stops the plane and tells the guy put the seatbelt on and leave it on, and the guy just whines and argues. In the mean time Ground is getting very irritable about us blocking the taxiway so Ray says "have it your way" and proceeds out and takes off.
Five or so minutes out, Ray give me a heads up wink and rolls the airplane upside down.
No more arguments about seatbelts after that, and the guy had to find another way back to Denver.

I keep a safety briefing word doc on my hard drive - this is what's in it:

Seatbelts - Seatbelt are required at all times, shoulder harnesses in the front seat. It’s not like we can get up and walk around, so do what I do and just keep it on. Here’s how the seatbelt works.

Air - If you’re too hot or too cold, let me know – there are vents and heat that we can adjust. If you’re wearing a coat, I’ll suggest you take it off, it really won’t be that cold in the plane…you can always wrap up later. If you find that you’re not feeling well, let me know.

Fire Extinguisher – The fire extinguisher won't be needed, but it's between the seats. There's nothing special about it, but here's how it works. I really don't want to set it off while we're in the plane unless we have to.

Emergencies - You have your own door on your side, it opens by pulling up on the handle in the armrest. If for some odd reason we wind up landing someplace that isn't an airport, we'll plan to each exit on our own side and we'll get together about 100’ behind the airplane. If push came to shove, you could crawl over the seats and go out the baggage door too. Under no circumstances, ever, walk in front of the airplane.

Talking - While we're flying, I'm going to ask you look outside for other airplanes and just let me know where they are. Also while we're flying, your headset let's us talk, but while taking off and landing, we'll keep any conversation to just the topic of flying.

Your questions?

That's pretty similar to mine aside from adding info about the controls and not grabbing them / pushing on the pedals. Also add there is no lav on the aircraft (so go now) but if needed there are a few barf bags in the seat pocket.
Otherwise, sit back, relax and enjoy the flight.

Having only flown two Army helicopters and being farily new to airplanes, the concept of taking non-rated passengers is still pretty fresh for me. I agree my first checklist was an overkill. That was a rated crew mission briefing checklist that I would use for a cross-country flight with another pilot.

Capt. Thorpe-

I understand your points. This is how I would approach briefing the SAFETY checklist:

*Talk about location and operation of the fire extinguisher. Emphasize its primary purpose is for the occupants, then the plane. Ensure the passengers are clear and safe before attempting to combat the fire.

I do explain the door latch - it is kind of quirky. But what would be an evacuation plan? Open the door and get out?
No survival kit.
What equipment would this cover?

Look at bflynn's checklist. He does a good job at covering the intent behind the bullet statements. I also brief:

1. Primary and alternate exits out of the aircraft.
"I will go out my door and ensure that you are exiting yours. If I don't see you moving, I will drag you out my side and expect you do the same for me."

2. Rendezvous Point-
50 feet behind the tail is standard. You set this to find each other quickly if you go down in dark or heavily wooded conditions. It also keeps the passengers away from possible spinny/burning things at the nose.

I've also heard it briefed that you continue to circle around the back to the other side of the plane until you find your co-pilot/passenger. Then move away from the aircraft as a group. The theory is you'll discover more quickly if everyone hasn't exited and you'll continue to the other side of the plane to pull them out. I don't brief this as #1 already covers it in a two seat aircraft.

3. Removal of injured personnel.
If the plane isn't burning or about to burst into flames, leave them in place.

4. Water landings. Details like opening window and unlatching the door prior to entering the water. How to find a reference point and avoid becoming disoriented in a darkened, submerged aircraft.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I like Ryans briefing a lot.
Yes!

The shorter one that is.
~sigh~ :(

Last edited:
I see no reason to suggest that the belts come off during flight. It's not like someone is going to get out of their seat to stretch their legs in my LSA - or even a big Cessna 150. I make sure they get buckled in OK.

It's obviously not an issue for an LSA, 150, or other two-seater. But I've had several instances where a single rear seat passenger in a 172 or 182 wanted to shift to the other side to get a photo.

The answer: usually OK in cruise (but tell me), but not during takeoff, taxi or landing.

I have them read this... and this "flying facts and trivia" while I do the pre-flight.

Attachments

• CTSW passenger briefing revised 11-21-12.pdf
    388.8 KB · Views: 50
I have them read this... and this "flying facts and trivia" while I do the pre-flight.
Well done. This is easily modified to suit any light aircraft. This is similar to the ones that we've use on our corporate aircraft. We also that them laminated. (About a buck a page at Staples.)

Crew or not, solo or not I brief. I try not to be excessive though. The SAFETY brief is a good one for passengers certainly.

If I am single pilot with a friend up front I try to make sure they're at least aware enough to be able to maintain stability if I become incapacitated. Often the people I fly with have at least minimal aviation knowledge as they know me and I don't let them escape it.

Along with the regular briefings I especially brief takeoffs for things such as runway length, winds, critical speeds, emergency procedures, emergency landing options, fire, etc. Instructors and others pilots I've flown with have enjoyed this especially.

+1. :thumbsup:

I show all passengers how the door opens in case they need to get out QUICK...

Seat belts on at ALL times.
No smoking.
Don't touch ANYTHING.
Have fun....

I add:

Please help look for traffic (I explain the 12 hour clock, above & below the horizon)
Air vent is down by your knee, feel free to close or open it for your comfort
Barf bags in the pocket above the air vent by your knee (front seat) or in the pocket in front of you (back seat)
Anytime you are not happy let me know. This is supposed to be fun. If you're not having fun, let's go home immediately.

There is no beverage service during the flight. If you need to make a bathroom stop, do so prior to our departure. In-flight entertainment will consist of watching the pilot's desperate struggle to control the plane. We'll be flying at an altitude deemed,
On an Angel Flight in a 182, once we leveled off, I added:

We have reached our cruising altitude of 11,500 feet. Fell free to move about the cabin.

Anyway, I came across a passenger brief in an FAA news magazine that looks to fit the bill.
You don't need a written briefing checklist, you need an easy to remember Sex Briefing. It's as easy as three, two, one:
3. Seatbelts, Seat backs, no Smoking
2. Exits and emer Equipment (fire extinguishers, rafts, preservers, etc.)
1. oXygen equipment​

Done.

dtuuri

Last edited:
You lost me at BLUF, what the hell does that mean?

An hour and a half into our two hour flight to hilton head, I told my passengers

"hey guys, we're almost there. I know because we left with just enough fuel to get to hilton head, and now we're almost out of gas" :)

I don't know what BLUF is either. I do know what BUFF is but I am not going to say.:no::no::no:

"If you feel the need to smoke please step outside".

Especially cruel in a Cardinal...

"If you feel the need to smoke please step outside".

Especially cruel in a Cardinal...

In a Southwest safety briefing once, the flight attendant said something along the lines of, "The smoking section is on the wing. If you can light it, you can smoke it."

FA last weekend said, "Turn off and stow all portable electronic devices ... This includes your iPads, iPhones, iPods, and iGlasses."

How to open the door, how to use the seatbelt, where the fire extinguisher is,

Ok let's fly!

Now that most of the people I fly with are seasoned passengers it is just "hey, close the window we are taking off"

Back