Crew Car Usage

Landed at KSTS for lunch a number of years back (~2006) and Ground laughed at me since the restaurant had closed the month before. Stopped in at Sonoma Jet Center to use the facilities and the girl behind the counter offered crew car and pointed us in the direction of a good restaurant just off the airport. It was a brand new (<500 miles) Pontiac.

Scariest courtesy car was at KRZL in the early 1990s. It was an ugly green early 1970s Ford Gran Torino wagon and was mostly rust. It had less maneuverability of than a battleship.

I put crew cars and courtesy cars in different categories. Crew cars are at the fancy FBOs that cater to jets and are nice cars. Courtesy cars are beaters at the little FBOs.

First post....:yes:

Welcome to POA......

Pull up a chair and set a spell..:)

Landed late one night in a small town in northern MN to deliver a load of records for a record store opening the next day (so you know how long ago this was!) We had buzzed the store before landing, but no one came to meet us. So we started looking for a courtesy car. After looking in a number of cars we found keys under the floor mat of an old Chrysler so figured it must be the courtesy car. Loaded up our boxes, made the delivery and stopped for a bite to eat at Perkins before putting a few gallons in it and heading back to the airport.

Sure hope it was the courtesy car.

No lights and sirens = no harm, no foul....;)

Mary and I fly into KGED, Georgetown, DE and they have a crew car. I give them our schedule, usually a quick run in town or a dinner out. Sometimes we run into town to pick up a few dozen crabs to take home so we can wash down with beers.

Wherever we use a car I always put more fuel in the car then I picked it up with. It's cheaper than a rental. Keep it clean, fuel it and hope its available the next time you fly in to that location.

Unfortunately, I have on several occasions.

Sleeping in a 172 is not as wonderful as it is cracked up to be. Even though the right seat back can be lowered to almost horizontal.

First post....:yes:

Welcome to POA......

Pull up a chair and set a spell..:)

I recognize a lot of the names from the old days of rec.aviation. I've been lurking here for a bit, but hate web forums and guess I'd never gotten around to posting before. I thought I had, but stats don't lie.

I recognize a lot of the names from the old days of rec.aviation. I've been lurking here for a bit, but hate web forums and guess I'd never gotten around to posting before. I thought I had, but stats don't lie.

Awww.. The good ol' days..:yikes:..

Speaking of rec. aviation..... I wonder how Barnyard Blob is doing ???:dunno:

My experience varies. Some places I take it for 2 hours to go to lunch some an hour. One place I flew into because I had a court appearance I think I had the car 2.5 hours and the FBO was totally OK with it. I put fuel in it and all was good. If the FBO says they'd like you to keep it for no more than a certain period of time then just respect that.

The former FBO at my home drome used to have a courtesy car but they got rid of it because as they put it. A majority of the GA pilots put fuel in the car and generally took care of it ie cleaned the trash put the windows back up. But they told me the biz guys rarely if ever put fuel in and used the car as a trash receptacle. I'm sure thats not all biz jet jocks but likely just the ones that tended to frequent that FBO.

Yea, little to no fuel (if the gas gauge works) seems to be the theme. We picked up the loaner for an overnight in St. Simmons, GA. What a wreck! I think it was an old Crown Vic that had seen much better days

Around here they are always Crown vic's.....that were usually a hwy patrol or county car after they get 100k the sell them or some get donated to the airport.

I don't recall in my twenty years of flying ever getting a crew car with a full tank of gas. Never.

You never been to Johsnon County KS.....OJC.

Brand new cars, gas, nice, clean just like a new rental...no charge. Keep it 1 hr keep it 4 hrs no matter. They have about 6 of them. Its a Piper dealer also.

I've had great luck with cars in the midwest. Going East it is helter skelter and going West forgetaboutit. nada....'we can't do it for insurance purpose bull ****.'

Back