creative ideas for cockpit lighting?

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I have just enough instrument lighting from the red light on the ceiling in my Cherokee 180 (no backlit instruments)

I only really have problems seeing the switches under the yoke.. I use my flashlight but kinda wanted a better way to illuminate that area..

Any "certified" permanent way I can do this or non-permanent way that is creative?

I see these LED light strips that are non-FAA approved, but if I use these plugged into the cig lighter, then I'm good right?

So, are white white lights the new red for night flight? Seems like everyone is installing white lights now for panel.. I still kind of like red..

I just hang a red headlight around my neck like a necklace. I can direct the light toward my kneeboard and charts in my lap and the light usually washes over to the instruments and switches. If I need clarity on anything... I simply use my hand to point the light.

When I'm using the IPad instead... I just direct the light to the gauges instead of my lap.

I have glow strips under the glare shield. They're the only panel lights I have and they're controlled by a MaxDim rheostat because I like it better than the one that Spruce sells for the glow strips. It's a great panel lighting solution.

Any "certified" permanent way I can do this or non-permanent way that is creative?

I see these LED light strips that are non-FAA approved, but if I use these plugged into the cig lighter, then I'm good right?

Attach them with velcro, power them with a front-panel removeable connector (like the little Molex 062 series) and they are not "permanently installed".

The only thing that has to be approved is the attachment of the aircraft side wires of the Molex connector to a fuse or circuit breaker of the appropriate value. Everything else is a "temporary" installation.

Jim

Thanks Jim! That is what I was getting at... I think I am going to give these a try in red... http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/ledcockpitred.php

I am hoping I can hide the actual lights a little better than what is pictured because I am not digging the dotted look of what is in the pic.. it seems like my 180 has a little bit more of a lip though, so I think I can..

The cool think about these.. you can cut them to length...

another vote for the nulites. I added a bunch of them to my cherokee 140 panel. They complemented the other instrument lights I had (radios, internally lit DG ircc, etc).

I have nulites on everything that's not internally lit. I used to have post lights (amusingly installed on everything other than the basic instruments you'd care to look at).

RED is not some magic night thing. The key to night illumination is keeping the intensity low not the color.

RED is not some magic night thing. The key to night illumination is keeping the intensity low not the color.

I thought somebody did an experiment prior to WWII that showed that exposure to red light was the least detrimental to night vision. I thought that the ready rooms on all the carriers were red light only. Did I misremember something again?

Jim

From another newsgroup:

from -
USAF Flight Surgeon's Guide
Chapter 8
AEROSPACE OPHTHALMOLOGY
Thomas J. Tredici, M.D.

http://wwwsam.brooks.af.mil/af/files...hapter_08.html

Cockpit Illumination: The use of red light (wavelength greater than 650 nanometers) for illumination of the cockpit is desirable, because it, like red goggles, does not affect dark adaptation. Red cockpit lighting has been traditional since World War II. The intent was to maintain the greatest rod sensitivity possible, while still providing some illumination for central foveal vision. However, red cockpit lighting did create some near vision problems for the pre-presbyopic and presbyopic aviators. With the increased use of electronic and electro-optical devices for navigation, target detection, and night vision, the importance of the pilot's visual efficiency within the cockpit has increased and new problems have been created. Low intensity, white cockpit lighting is presently used to solve those problems. It affords a more natural visual environment within the aircraft, without degrading the color of objects. Blue-green cockpit lighting is used in aircraft in which night-vision devices are used because, unlike the human eye, these devices are not sensitive to light at that end of the visual spectrum. In addition, blue-green light is the easiest for accommodative focus and is seen by the rods more readily than any other color. It is not seen as blue-green, however, but only as light. However, the enemy can easily see a blue-green light, under scotopic conditions, in any position of his peripheral field, whereas a low intensity red light would be invisible unless viewed directly.
UNQUOTE

Photopic vision is at higher levels of lighting - using mainly the cones

Scotopic vision is at dark levels - using the rods.....

BUT there is also:

QUOTE:
Mesopic Vision
There is a transition zone between photopic and scotopic vision where the level of illumination ranges from about 1 to 10-3 millilamberts. Both the rods and cones are active in this range of light, and the perception experienced is called mesopic vision. Although neither the rods nor the cones operate at peak efficiency in this range, mesopic vision may be of great importance to the military aviator, because some low level of light is usually present during night operations. Below the intensity of moonlight (10-3 millilamberts), the cones cease to function and the rods alone are responsible for vision, i.e. scotopic vision. Scotopic vision is characterized by poor acuity resolution and a lack of color discrimination, but greatly enhanced sensitivity to light.
UNQUOTE

I kinda like the red.. it's almost easier on my eyes.. my touchscreen stereo in my truck is the same way.. I can change the color to just about anything.. it seems like blue and red are the easiest on my eyes.. when I get to the white or green it becomes to "piercing" at night.. maybe everyone is different ?

I have just enough instrument lighting from the red light on the ceiling in my Cherokee 180 (no backlit instruments)

I only really have problems seeing the switches under the yoke.. I use my flashlight but kinda wanted a better way to illuminate that area..

I put the air.spruce light strips in my 2 Cherokees and a Cessna 150 ..they work well on the cherokee and the light skips through the instrument glass well to illuminate the instruments. I said to hell with it and ran them into the dimmer off of ship power..they are such low voltage..but the cig lighter can work fine if you bundle the wire behind your panel . If you have an older 180 your nav light swich is your "dimmer"....These work well with the Ashby glareshield

Attachments

• Panel Night.JPG
    Panel Night.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Looks nice, but man is that website frustrating. No actual pictures of the lights by themselves, so you can see what the product actually is.

And $5 for a lousy fifty cent knob for their dimmers? You must be joshing. Oh, I forgot. It is an AIRCRAFT fifty cent knob.

Jim

tumblr_lzrvm3CrTF1qgynxpo1_500.gif

Why don't you take a little flat flashlight or finger flashlight and velcro it to the back of your yoke base. When you need it, turn it on to illuminate your lower switches, and then turn it off when done.

NightHawk%20UltraLight%20Finger%20Light.jpg

Here you can see the installed glow strips and then the switch that controls them.

005.JPG

IMG_0874.JPG

You folks may be happy that you've stuck a pin in my butt to write the August Kitplanes column on a solution that I've found for really neat instrument panel lighting.

The article is here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pen2l5l8gv4kef1/V15#8.ZIP?dl=0

And here are two of the color images ("blue-green" and "red") of the five colors possible with the device listed in the article. These images are at half-brightness. Full brightness is WAY too bright for normal use.

Thanks,

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0690.JPG
    IMG_0690.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Petzl headlamp http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/10321

I bought this along with the LED strip that you can plug into the cigarette lighter, I haven't even installed that yet because the headlamp works better than I expected.

This is what I use as well. The Petzl Tactikka has a flip-up red filter and has hi med low and flashing settings. Works like a champ, long batt life, and it's always pointing at whatever I'm looking at. I have two in my bag and don't fly at night without it. Since the red filter flips up to make it a normal white 4-LED white light I use it a lot as just a general headlamp/flashlight.

It's great at night when camping and you don't need a night sun to illuminate the task at hand.

Last edited:
Any suggestions on where to buy red led bulbs? I want to replace the cabin lights.

Thanks for the ideas for the September Kitplanes column (attached), gang. Keep those thoughts and comments coming!!!

Jim

Attachments

• 0915_Aerolectrics.pdf
    184 KB · Views: 26

A small LED strip should do it, yep, a pug in held by 2 sided tape is completely legal, but I'm not sure that properly mounting and wiring it in would be prohibited either.

Nice to see you back. I have always loved the way you throw out comments that do little to advance the thread but do a lot to antagonize everyone trying to have a discussion.

Nice article, but I tuned out at the first "12 volts max". Any advice for those of us with 28 volt systems?

yes sir, here is the advice. I write for the folks who have little extra money to spend, and so far as I am aware, all of them are using 12 volt systems . Nobody in my crowd uses 24 volts.

Now there are lots of inexpensive and very expensive ways of converting 12 volts designs to 24 volt designs. Those of you who have more money than good sense can go get an electronics engineer to convert my designs for $$ if you wish.

Best wishes...

Jim

Helicopter trade mags used to have ads from companies making headset mic mounted lights. Not really a free hand for flashlights in those things. If you can find them they are an elegant solution.

yes sir, here is the advice. I write for the folks who have little extra money to spend, and so far as I am aware, all of them are using 12 volt systems . Nobody in my crowd uses 24 volts.

Best wishes...

Jim

That is a weird way of thinking...
It comes across as saying that you have to be rich to own a plane that uses a 24 volt electrical system...

I guess I'm big money rollin' in my 1992 Socata Tampico...
Here are three for sale that are worth more than mine (these have lower engine times):
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/for-sale/aircraft/by-make/Socata/TB-9+Tampico

(For the record, the three range from $45k to $55K, about 1.5 times what mine is worth...)

But hey, you are writing for Kitplanes, so maybe 12Vdc is typical for kit planes. What do I know about them. I certainly can't afford a kit plane.

-Jim

But hey, you are writing for Kitplanes, so maybe 12Vdc is typical for kit planes. What do I know about them. I certainly can't afford a kit plane.

Interesting. My next two or three monthly columns are going to be the construction of switching power supplies, one of which is how to convert 24 volts to 12 volts with 90+% efficiency. And vice versa.

Jim

Nice to see you back. I have always loved the way you throw out comments that do little to advance the thread but do a lot to antagonize everyone trying to have a discussion.

You complained that it was useless as it did not cover your plane's voltage. I informed you that the equipment was indeed available in your voltage regardless. You said you knew that. You added zero to the entire thread but a complaint. You may want to read your post in a mirror. I clarified that 24v is available, you whined; who contributed something of value?

Back