Creating a subtopic

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
Dear Powers that be,
What does it take to create a subtopic? I would like to see "Cross Country Relay" as a subtopic under "Cool Places to Fly".
I am okay if this is not agreeable to the PTB. I will not be offended if it does not happen.
ApacheBob

What would be your description of your proposed "Cross Country Relay" subforum? What would go there, and how would it be differentiated from the other fora?

The Cross Country relay faced several major obstacles. Scheduling, lodging, gnomes and bribery. None of these are obviously associated with Cool Places to Fly (except for gnomes, of course). But the subtopic is all related to the Coast-to-Coast relay.
I noticed that Cool Places to Fly suffered from Coast-to-Coast overload. Terrified peasants fled to other forums to escape the Godzilla of all postings.
Innocent civilian postings should not be trampled by this monster subtopic. Think of the children!:blueplane:
ApacheBob

More important to my mind is, how much use will the sub-forum get once the coast-to-coast relay is done?

We created a Gastons sub-forum in part because its an annual event. High volume on a one time topic overwhelming a forum for a while is fine - but if it repeats then the sub-forum will have longevity. I prefer to set up forums that have staying power.

Is the C2C also a recurring phenomenon?

For me a sub-topic makes it harder to use the forum. I don't like 'em.

Greebo said:
More important to my mind is, how much use will the sub-forum get once the coast-to-coast relay is done?

We created a Gastons sub-forum in part because its an annual event. High volume on a one time topic overwhelming a forum for a while is fine - but if it repeats then the sub-forum will have longevity. I prefer to set up forums that have staying power.

Is the C2C also a recurring phenomenon?

Like finding the Holy Grail, the C2C seems to be more of an un-occurring phenomenon.:(

First Henning, then Rob!

The C2C is going to need a different dynamic, if it is going to succeed. Commercial sponsorship has been suggested. I really would rather not, because I fly with as few strings attached as possible.

Someone suggested doing it as a fund-raiser. But with Avgas prices through the roof, I don't have that much funds to throw at good causes.

But I think that official leather jackets would be cool. I really want to limit the distance that I am expected to fly.

A member of the management team suggested tying the C2C into one or more of the POA fly-ins. The fly-ins tend to draw more from a local crowd, with a few adventurers making heroic cross-countries to get there.

The community spirit of a fly-in is closely related to the idea of a Coast-to-Coast relay. But, in my opinion (which is often wrong), they are different animals. The last pilot carries the person and gets to go to the fly-in. The other legs miss out. Inequitable?

From reading the other forums, POA members are strongly independent. This makes the success of a C2C very unlikely. Some members do not like other members.

But we all have flying in common. Which makes the elusive search for common ground as a tantalizing goal.:blueplane:
ApacheBob

Back