Creating a portable Intercom/Com???

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
Has anyone looked into creating a small box that could be carried in various aircraft instead of a small handheld?

I was thinking of maybe a little aluminum box with an FL-760 or FL-760A with jacks instead of the traditional handheld plus two place portable intercom... and plug into a better antenna than most handhelds have, or have the ability to run a wire to an installed antenna...

What problem are you trying to solve? Would this be for a glider, an aircraft without an electrical system, or an experimental aircraft of some sort? Are you just trying to combine the functions of a portable radio and a portable intercom?

What problem are you trying to solve? Would this be for a glider, an aircraft without an electrical system, or an experimental aircraft of some sort? Are you just trying to combine the functions of a portable radio and a portable intercom?
Stuff like a Cub or a Luscombe, when weight would allow for it. Was thinking that a small box that contained everything instead of having wires between handheld, intercom, and antenna would be much nicer. Portable, so I could use it when I fly in someone else's non-equipped plane.

I was thinking of maybe a little aluminum box with an FL-760 or FL-760A with jacks instead of the traditional handheld plus two place portable intercom...

Pretty sure you know this but the Flightline 760 has a built in 2 place intercom. BTW, I like your idea. Would be easy to attach an antenna using a BNC connector and power with a 12 volt plug. You might also consider a small battery to power it for a short time.

Pretty sure you know this but the Flightline 760 has a built in 2 place intercom. BTW, I like your idea. Would be easy to attach an antenna using a BNC connector and power with a 12 volt plug. You might also consider a small battery to power it for a short time.
Yeah, I used to have an FL-760A in my old 120. Wish I could find one right now... they are out of stock everywhere. And yes, a small battery for 3-4 hours capacity.

Use something just like that in the T-Craft I fly. Has a Becker Radio and FlightCom intercom. It is a console that sits on the floor and hooks over the front seat bar. The owner put a voltage regulator on it and powers it with a Dewalt 18Volt battery.

Brian

Use something just like that in the T-Craft I fly. Has a Becker Radio and FlightCom intercom. It is a console that sits on the floor and hooks over the front seat bar. The owner put a voltage regulator on it and powers it with a Dewalt 18Volt battery.

Brian
I'd be interested in seeing that.

So something like this?
https://wingsandwheels.com/avionics-instruments/radios-transceiver/becker-transceiver/gk-615.html
https://wingsandwheels.com/avionics-instruments/radios-transceiver/fsg2t.html
https://wingsandwheels.com/avionics...-avionics-fsg90-mpc-protable-transceiver.html
GK61X-portable-VHF-radio-768x297.jpg

2070_0_1297688176.jpg

Is there a reason a radio that has headphone jacks (or adapters, $29 from Sporty's) won't work? Most of the time the antenna is removable and you could plug into something fixed.

Is there a reason a radio that has headphone jacks (or adapters, $29 from Sporty's) won't work? Most of the time the antenna is removable and you could plug into something fixed.
Yeah. Most of them um, are inferior, and if I can eventually find an FL-760 again and have it plugged in to a proper antenna, it also doubles as an intercom. I'm tired of miles of wires between the headsets, intercom, radio, and antenna.

"Inferior" - low transmit power?

Back