Create a Wi-Fi network anywhere with your 3G Cellular Data Card

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
For us geeks: This is pretty cool, a new router from D-Link that can use your 3G Cellular Data Card to set up a Wi-Fi network "on the road". By plugging a compatible 3G notebook adapter into the D-Link Mobile Router's built-in cardbus slot, users can get immediate access to EV-DO, UMTS, or HSDPA cellular networks.

Imagine the applications: emergency response, special events, commuting, GASTONS, OSHKOSH!

http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=524

Sprint sells such a device and markets it for the use you're discussing.

VZ and Cingular both prohibit this type of use in their TOS.

Sprint sells such a device and markets it for the use you're discussing.

VZ and Cingular both prohibit this type of use in their TOS.
How would they know? It could just be stuck in a laptop and they would never have a clue.

Hmmmm...

....this could be the answer to my Fredericksburg Data Dilemma; it's hard to be certain, but it appears their coverage map includes my cabin.

What sort of speeds does one see with this beastie?

Hmmmm...

....this could be the answer to my Fredericksburg Data Dilemma; it's hard to be certain, but it appears their coverage map includes my cabin.

If it's anything like the EDGE card I have in the car, it will vary from 40kbs to upward of 180kbs. The card is rated up to 256k but I've never seen it go that high. It's my understanding the tower systems give priority to voice traffic first so that narrows bandwidth for a data card.

Hmmmm...

What's the point of going to a cabin if people can still reach you. Half the beauty of getting away from it all, is well, getting away from it all!

Gastons? Do they have EV-DO service out there? I'd be surprised.

I don't get service with Verizon there, and I think most people are hit an miss with cell coverage. But they do have high/mid-speed internet now, and if you brought your own wireless router....

I am so happy to hear you guys calling it EV-DO. Why you may ask? Well because I named it so. When it was first pitched by Qualcomm my company was pitching another technology called 1xTreme. Both were part of a 1X Evolution project hence 1xEV. Qualcomm called their's HDR but a big difference between ours and their was that our could do VoIP and theirs could not. When we wrote the requirements I coined the terms 1xEV-DO (data only) for the theirs and 1xEV-DV (data and voice) for ours. Qualcomm hated the DO designation and has been trying for several years to have it reffered to as 1xEV-HSD for High Speed Data. If you non-cellular techie guys are using 'DO' it will probably never change.

BTW just wait for Sprint's WiMAX stuff to start to hit the streets later this year. It will blow your socks off. They will also deploy nation wide, but I think NDA prohibits me from saying when.

BTW just wait for Sprint's WiMAX stuff to start to hit the streets later this year. It will blow your socks off. They will also deploy nation wide, but I think NDA prohibits me from saying when.
How fast will it be? And, are we talking mobile data?

Well, when I'm in town it displays "1X EV" and when I'm at home it displays "1X EV-DO".

I'm not sure the difference - other than DO probably has less features?

All I know is that the last time I was at LGA I was happy I had my blackberry - as they wanted something like $7.99 per hour for their wi-fi access.

Well, when I'm in town it displays "1X EV" and when I'm at home it displays "1X EV-DO".

I'm not sure the difference - other than DO probably has less features?

All I know is that the last time I was at LGA I was happy I had my blackberry - as they wanted something like $7.99 per hour for their wi-fi access.

Well there is 1x service, not sure what they mean by 1xEV unless icon only can be lit up that way on their display

Well there is 1x service, not sure what they mean by 1xEV unless icon only can be lit up that way on their display

Mine is 1xEV most of the time in Minneapolis.

I think sometimes it'll say EV-DO

Sitting at my desk, my cell phone says "EV". Not sure I ever made sense out of what Moto and Verizon put in the manual.

Back