Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
You might remember my motorcycle trip in 2006:

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8200
http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8313

I'm currently planning another one entitled "2,264 miles":

2008_trip.jpg

I will be riding this with an old high school friend that has some new Harley. There is potential for some less then desirable weather this time of year but we'll just have to take what we can get.

Schedule:
April 26th Early AM - Depart Lincoln, NE
April 26th Evening - Arrive Dallas, TX
April 27th AM - Depart Dallas, TX
April 27th Evening - Arrive New Orleans, LA
April 28th AM - Depart New Orleans, LA
Meet Steve for Lunch
April 29th Evening - Arrive Lincoln, NE

The schedule is tight but is a little more relaxed then the last trip I made to Steve's.

I plan on meeting up with Spike and anyone else in the Dallas area when I'm there. Anyone from PoA that has a motorcycle--you're welcome to join us for all or part of this.

That's a lot of driving and not much relaxing. But you're young. I would love to go.

One suggestions.

Instead of going Dallas to Shreveport to NO, head south to Austin, hit the bar and music district, spend the night and then head down to Houston and over on 10 to NO. It will be worth it!

Sounds fun!!

Better trip:

Depart Lincoln for Denver. Head south from Denver through the Raton Pass into Albuquerque. Albuquerque west to Dallas...then back up to Lincoln. That way you get to see the great southwest, and some seriously cool views around the CO/NM mountains.

Oh, and I live in ABQ :D

Better trip:

1) Shorten it up by about 1,200 miles so that you can enjoy it.

:D:D

Better trip:

1) Shorten it up by about 1,200 miles so that you can enjoy it.

:D:D
No fun--anyone can do that...and what do you do when you get to your destination? I like to push it.

i hope your buddy is old enough to get a decent hotel room?

standing by for the "im dieing" phone call...

Wow, that's a long trip, Jesse. My butt starts to hurt on the bike after 2 hours, much less 12. Must be an age thing--you're young and will have fun.

Will definitely ride my bike over to wherever you land in Dallas... keep us informed.

San Diego to Guatemala was crazy. What you're doing is long, and could be uncomfortable depending on the bike. Torture on my Fireblade, a nice ride on my Wing. good luck.

Madison, WI -> New Orleans -> Los Angeles -> Seattle -> Madison on a Honda CB750. 8300 miles, 6 weeks, $180 in gas, $0 on motels. Course, this was almost 30 years ago...

Considering that 1) I know nothing about motorcycles and b) I've never even driven that route in a car, all I can say is HAVE FUN! :yes:

Bikes are better for seeing the seeing the country. In a car, you're in a box looking out. On a bike, you're part of what you're traveling through.

I personally don't get the point of doing such a long ride so fast, but whatever floats your boat. ATGATT.

Jesse,

Are any of those days long enough to qualify for an Iron Butt?

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/

If you are going to do it anyway, might as well document it.

Tim

Meet Steve for Lunch

The schedule is tight but is a little more relaxed then the last trip I made to Steve's.

I plan on meeting up with Spike and anyone else in the Dallas area when I'm there. Anyone from PoA that has a motorcycle--you're welcome to join us for all or part of this.

I personally don't get the point of doing such a long ride so fast, but whatever floats your boat. ATGATT.
It is a challenge. I'm not doing this because I want it to be fun--I'm doing it because it feels good to know what you just accomplished. I expect parts of this trip to be very 'not fun'.

I dunno, I never personally thought of endurance as being that big a challenge. There isn't that much skill in it; you just keep going.

To me racing is a challenge, trying to get the most out of your bike. I'm not doing that either, I'm a bit too averse to bodily injury. But I guess that's why I don't quite get it.

Still, to each his own. Be safe and try to have fun.

I dunno, I never personally thought of endurance as being that big a challenge. There isn't that much skill in it; you just keep going.

Ever try to finish a triathlon?

Even if it does suck a times Jesse you'll look back on it fondly.

Ever try to finish a triathlon?

Even if it does suck a times Jesse you'll look back on it fondly.

Big honking difference. A triathlon takes huge physical stamina and athleticism. Riding a motorcycle for a long time, well you just have to be able to stand it.

That said I can remember taking my Nighthawk from Maryland to see a friend in Cincinnati. The only part of that trip I really remember was my friend's neighbor, who had a very cherry chromed out Harley sitting in his garage, took one look at my Nighthawk with the Maryland plate and said in an awed voice that he thought I was the real biker.

Have fun.

To each their own---if you read the above threads I linked--you'll see that this is going to be cake compared to my 2006 trip from Minneapolis to Mississippi on a Nighthawk. I will be much better equipped this time. I'm looking forward to this.

If you get sick this time, STOP.

New Orleans is not the best place to be, much less to be sick.

What izzit with NO? Trying to do the Easy Rider thing in a cemetery?

Gotta agree there. To dang easy to get dead on a bike. Nothing's worth that.

I will not be sleeping in the ghetto of New Orleans. New Orleans is fine as long as you aren't stupid. I also seem to recall having stopped last time when I got sick in the wonderful city of Batesville, MS.

Last edited:
Don't know if you're a big party kind of guy, but I've never been to the big easy with anyone who actually witnessed their first a.m. there. Even if you aren't a big drinker, the freak show that the quarter can become will keep you out people watching awfully late/early. Good thing you can get chickory-laced coffee and hot beignets all day long. But hey, wahddo I know?

Don't know if you're a big party kind of guy, but I've never been to the big easy with anyone who actually witnessed their first a.m. there. Even if you aren't a big drinker, the freak show that the quarter can become will keep you out people watching awfully late/early. Good thing you can get chickory-laced coffee and hot beignets all day long. But hey, wahddo I know?

Jesse is too young to get in most bars around here and the bars that will allow him in, I don't think he would want to go!!!!:no: :eek:

Jesse is too young to get in most bars around here and the bars that will allow him in, I don't think he would want to go!!!!:no: :eek:

Unfortunately, my last several trips there I was wayyyyy over 21, but I thought you could get into the bars at 18? Sure, they have those silly wristbands to order at the bar, but just how enforced is that?

2008_trip.jpg

I will be riding this with an old high school friend that has some new Harley. There is potential for some less then desirable weather this time of year but we'll just have to take what we can get.

Schedule:
Meet Steve for Lunch

That'll be a good warm up for this one;

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TRAVEL/getaways/04/10/motorcycling.alaska.ap/index.html

Motorcycling to Alaska: 15 days, 5,000 miles

Unfortunately, my last several trips there I was wayyyyy over 21, but I thought you could get into the bars at 18? Sure, they have those silly wristbands to order at the bar, but just how enforced is that?

There are no wristbands. Girls can get into bars and drink, being 18. Guys have to be 21, except in certain bars. If you know what I mean?? This is the French Quarter I'm talking about.

After about 9:00 PM, I really didn't see anyone really checking ID down there. People-watching on Bourbon Street is very interesting.

My longest trip:

Key West -> NC -> Sturgis, SD -> Denver -> Pueblo, CO -> Salida CO -> Hwy 50 across Utah -> Reno -> Sacramento, CA -> San Francisco -> Bakersfield CA -> Barstow -> Flagstaff AZ -> I40 back to Wilmington, NC/Atlantic Ocean.

I don't know how many miles - over 9,000, what with all the side trips and whatnot. Cool ride. Did that in '93. Then rode back to the Canyon in '94 and '95. Haven't done any long trips since then, and sold the bike to fly.

Sorta jonesing for a new ride, though... :(

Update: The trip is still on as planned. Departure either Friday evening or Saturday morning.

Arrive Dallas Saturday Evening
Depart Dallas Sunday late morning
Arrive New Orleans Sunday
Leave New Orleans Monday
Arrive Lincoln Tuesday.

I've made several upgrades to my bike in preparation and posted on my blog about it:
http://www.jesseangell.com

Sounds like you've had quite an adventure updating the bandit. I'm sure the modifications will make the ride much more comfortable. I hope you guys have fun and don't get too sore or wet. Another blog should be in store afterwards! :)

I will not be sleeping in the ghetto of New Orleans. New Orleans is fine as long as you aren't stupid. I also seem to recall having stopped last time when I got sick in the wonderful city of Batesville, MS.

Ok, tell me what neighborhood in N.O. is not ghetto? Better off going on down to Houma.

Back