Crazy Motorcycle Trip #2

Don't know if you're a big party kind of guy, but I've never been to the big easy with anyone who actually witnessed their first a.m. there. Even if you aren't a big drinker, the freak show that the quarter can become will keep you out people watching awfully late/early. Good thing you can get chickory-laced coffee and hot beignets all day long. But hey, wahddo I know?

You can read that "The nastiest coffee, beyond nasty as you've ever imagined, and small square powdered sugar donuts"

After about 9:00 PM, I really didn't see anyone really checking ID down there. People-watching on Bourbon Street is very interesting.

Yes, watching people vomit in the street and urinate on the walls, highly interesting....

The mods on the bike look pretty good, especially the Givi trunk and the seat. Should run pretty good. The Bandit is already a straight up and down bike, so you should be in fine shape. Have fun.

Man that Givi Rack looks like it's pretty high up. Did you get the side cases as well?

Pete

Henning - do I detect that you are a little negative on NO, especially Bourbon Street?:rolleyes:

Henning - do I detect that you are a little negative on NO, especially Bourbon Street?:rolleyes:

Having worked down in that neck of the woods and being drug down to Bourbon Street on various occassions, yes, I'm negative on NO. The NOFD managed to burn a boat I was running "to the waterline" so to speak after I already had an engine room fire extinguished... The NOPD on more than one occassion has required bribery (elicited by them)to keep from going to jail and having the company truck impounded on a bogus traffic stop, and to top it all off, it's full of people living below sea level behind levies built by Napoleon's men with a hurricaine inbound who refused to evacuate, then want to complain about slow service when they are on top of their houses in the middle of a storm. Let's not forget that it's a state that is under Napoleonic code, where innocent until proven guilty does not exist. Nope, if I never see LA again, I'll be just fine....

Yes, watching people vomit in the street and urinate on the walls, highly interesting....

This one time, Celia and I are strolling down Bourbon Street of a Saturday night, and we see this drunk guy turn around from buying a big ol' slice of pizza... and he dropped it, right there on the sidewalk, in the corner against the building where all the incalculably disgusting detritus gathers.

It landed cheese-side-down.

And he picked it up.

And then (this was like watching a train wreck in slo-mo), he sort of brushes off the biggest chunks of mung, and proceeds to eat it.

Ewwwww. :hairraise:

Hey,

At $6 a slice I wasn't about to throw it away!

:frog:

This one time, Celia and I are strolling down Bourbon Street of a Saturday night, and we see this drunk guy turn around from buying a big ol' slice of pizza... and he dropped it, right there on the sidewalk, in the corner against the building where all the incalculably disgusting detritus gathers.

It landed cheese-side-down.

And he picked it up.

And then (this was like watching a train wreck in slo-mo), he sort of brushes off the biggest chunks of mung, and proceeds to eat it.

Ewwwww. :hairraise:

Beautiful day for a motorcycle trip....yesterday.

Too bad we're leaving today.

weatherdepart.jpg

We'll be departing in 20 minutes. I've convinced myself that it is OK to lose two fingers as long as they are from different hands. The plan is to ride until we freeze to death..however far that may be. We'll be in Dallas tomorrow.

Sunny and beautamous here... come on!

Bit of an incident... I'm in Wichita Kansas at a Best Western hotel. Overall we made pretty good progress..except for this. The good news is--I suspect a local motorcycle dealer will have the problem part. If they do and I'm almost positive they will.. We will be there in plenty of time to have a Dallas POA dinner.

Guess what happened?
oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

Ummm... busted drain plug?

Try stupid motorcycle owner that changed the oil the night before while multitasking. Turns out I forgot to tighten it after just twisting it on with my hand. Somehow I made it over 270 miles with it hand tight. Going to a motorcycle dealer right now to get the part.

I bet the owner of the parking lot is real happy to have you there :)

Pete

Set a match to that before the EPA gets there!

I was guessing oil filter but mine is in a housing and they aren't usually exposed. Put some safety wire on that plug, Jesse!
Good luck getting goin' again.

Having trouble finding the damn drain plug. One Suzuki dealer in Wichita. They don't have it--but they have a used bike of the same year. So far--they won't let me buy the plug off it for any price. Waiting for a call from their owner. sigh.

That sucks, Jesse. Did you bring your laptop with you?!
Yes. But I don't want to be stuck here until Monday. That pretty much would ruin the trip. I'm going to ride my buddies bike to the dealer now to try to talk to them in person.

Yes. But I don't want to be stuck here until Monday. That pretty much would ruin the trip. I'm going to ride my buddies bike to the dealer now to try to talk to them in person.

Check out the note at the VERY BOTTOM of this page, Jesse.

http://www.rcramer.com/bikes/gsx600f/warranty.html

* Temporary oil drain plug: An employee at All American Honda-Suzuki spent twenty minutes trying to find something that would work as a oil drain plug for my Katana! He ended up selling my girlfriend an NGK spark plug (98076-54917 BPR4HS-10). It fit perfectly and I'll be going there again!

A spark plug might work, if you get the right one, as a temporary to get you into OKC or another city with a better parts selection.

I bet you could get a metric bolt at the hdwr store that would at least get you on the road again...make sure it doesn't protrude into the path of engine innards and carry extra oil with you.

Bit of an incident... I'm in Wichita Kansas at a Best Western hotel. Overall we made pretty good progress..except for this. The good news is--I suspect a local motorcycle dealer will have the problem part. If they do and I'm almost positive they will.. We will be there in plenty of time to have a Dallas POA dinner.

Guess what happened?
oil1.JPG

oil2.JPG

Wow! Looks a lot more like a Harley now (ducking and running!)

Best,

Dave

I heard from Jesse. I'll let him tell the story, but he should be back on the road soon.

That's good to hear.

I was getting ready to make an air drop as soon as I had a part no.
:goofy:

I heard from Jesse. I'll let him tell the story, but he should be back on the road soon.

I'm a bit tired so I'm not going to write much of an update. When I first called the dealer this morning they told me that they did not have the Suzuki plug but had a Honda that would fit. I went and picked the plug up and the thread pitch was wrong. I called them and asked if they would sell me a used plug off a used Bandit they were selling. Several employees told me there is absolutely no way that would be allowed no matter how much money I would pay. I was frustrated and finally went to the dealer again and talked to the owner. He sold me one for cost plus the cost of replacing the oil in the bike. Good guy.

Tomorrow morning we will depart Dallas TX for New Orleans. I suspect it'll be a wet ride--but I'm excited.

The boys came, they played, they ate, ands they left. Great guests, and Jesse's friend, Will, is good company. He drives trains (no kidding!), as well as Harley. Some smart-ass comments between the two were made, but Will did point out that the guy who helped 'em out in Kansas was a Harley-rider...

...dinner last night with Dave S.

They left about an hour and a half ago, headed New Orleans way. Dressed in rain suits, which is just as well...

Attachments

• Jesse WX.jpg
    Jesse WX.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCN5268.JPG
    DSCN5268.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • DSCN5258.JPG
    DSCN5258.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 44
I checked in with Jesse around 4:30 and he was just outside Alexandria, LA so he should be in the "greater new orleans area" by now depending whether he stayed on the interstate or took the US 90 scenic route.

We made it to New Orleans last night and stayed in the French quarter. Interesting place :)

Time to head back.

This just in...

Two bikers possibly linked to dolphin suicide leap last seen travelling north in the South.

Informed sources report sighting at local gourmet dining establishment.

More later as details on this breaking story are uncovered.

Attachments

• P4280002.JPG
    P4280002.JPG
    676.8 KB · Views: 46
  • P4280009.JPG
    P4280009.JPG
    669.3 KB · Views: 40
  • P4280012.JPG
    P4280012.JPG
    652.6 KB · Views: 30
Back