Crashing Drone Narrowly Misses Ski Racer

That was an RC toy. A drone is at least 20 ft long and kills stuff.

That model from DJI is about a $7000 "toy" before camera equipment.

Drones are completely safe and can do no wrong. Just ask the AMA or other die hard RC fliers.

Drones are completely safe and can do no wrong. Just ask the AMA or other die hard RC fliers.
Ask that guy walking on the beach with his daughter or the mom huddling from the fire with her children in the bathtub if GA is completely safe. Oh wait you can't they are dead. Ski racer guy's ad value just went up, he is doing alright(for a second place finisher.)

Even with a helmet on that would have hurt. Maybe more rules are needed like not flying these over people but filming from a far. That was close. I know AMA flying fields can not let their members fly RC airplanes over people or spectators or other RC pilots. I would think this would apply here, if for no other reason then common sense, knowing something could go wrong. As it did here.

I don't believe they need to be 20' long to do that.

I'm waiting till the crazy's start using them to deliver bombs to any where they like.
It wouldn't require much of a toy to carry a grenade.

Scary stuff.

A couple years ago we had a demonstration at my airfield of these drones. They demo'ed one unit that looked just like a helicopter and could carry a 30 lbs payload. It had a range of 200 miles and traveled over 100 miles an hr. On this day it flew a grid of our corn fields then landed. I made a video of this landing. No one controlled this helicopter. All it took was being set on the ground. It did everything its self. Started took off flew its mission then landed back at where it started and shut its self down. Here is that video if it landing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNsscXjPYhU

So the pilot of the drone agrees to stay 50 ft away from any skier,and he violates the agreement. So we are surprised?

That's the issue, the new drones can enter stabile flight autonomously. Flying RC helicopters used to be even more of an art than flying real helos.

Thanks to our *&@#$ mainstream media propaganda machine, miniature digital gyro-stabilizers, and dirt cheap Chinese manufacturing, this distinction has been lost forever. I used to recover MQM/BQM drones for a living. And, I've built and flown RC model airplanes. When I heard these mass-produced "ready-to-fly" toys being referred to as "drones" it kinda ****ed me off. But, now I'm over it.....

Well duh.:rolleyes2:

"Even if -- unlike in Austria, Switzerland and other countries -- drones are authorized to fly over a crowd during events in Italy, FIS and the host broadcaster will work together with all the involved parties to see what occurred during the crash and ensure that this will not happen again."

Fly outside the course? This takes a lot of thought and work?:dunno:

Cheers

Need to call the Drone NTSB. Oh wait. We don't have that government function yet. Sounds like it's time for a new tax and some more new laws...

THAT WOULDN'T HAVE PREVENTED THIS.

All these laws are doing is setting up a liability chain for the lawyers to have a starting point when arguing.

Why do so many people get upset over the use of the word "drone"? I mean really, who gives a .... :dunno:

Need to call the Drone NTSB. Oh wait. We don't have that government function yet. Sounds like it's time for a new tax and some more new laws...

THAT WOULDN'T HAVE PREVENTED THIS.

All these laws are doing is setting up a liability chain for the lawyers to have a starting point when arguing.

:yeahthat:

Thanks to our *&@#$ mainstream media propaganda machine, miniature digital gyro-stabilizers, and dirt cheap Chinese manufacturing, this distinction has been lost forever. I used to recover MQM/BQM drones for a living. And, I've built and flown RC model airplanes. When I heard these mass-produced "ready-to-fly" toys being referred to as "drones" it kinda ****ed me off. But, now I'm over it.....

ALL UAS's (unmanned aircraft systems) including RC airplanes/gliders/helicopters now have to be registered. They are all lumped into the "drone" pile by some......

ALL UAS's (unmanned aircraft systems) including RC airplanes/gliders/helicopters now have to be registered.

"Have to"?

Seems they fly just fine registered or not.

Yes they do.
It is an attempt by the government/FAA to come up with regulations to make the airspace safer and/or make the public feel safer. It does nothing to discourage the bad guys and/or the stupid, they will do what they want anyway.

Yes they do.
It is an attempt by the government/FAA to come up with regulations to make the airspace safer and/or make the public feel safer. It does nothing to discourage the bad guys and/or the stupid, they will do what they want anyway.

Registering a toy, that's where citizens should just laugh it off and carry on with their life.

Zero difference to saftey, just government overreach.

Back