Crash this AM at SEE, 2 fatalities

Sad indeed. It was very foggy at my house this morning, maybe 200' visibility (or whatever to the end of the cul de SAC is?).. some witnesses say they heard the engine "throttling"

I know as private individuals many folks would take issue with it, but I would if there would be some benefit to a voluntary "black box" type program for GA. So many of these accidents are left up to conjecture and result in "pilot's failure to fly the airplane" or something equally uninformative

My top questions are always
-was fuel sumped
-was run up completed
-when did the plane fly last
-what is the pilot's currency and experience

I may be legal to take off into such conditions but its nowhere near safe.

Sad and preventable I would surmise. VFR (questionable) into IMC. RIP

Hope I'm wrong though and it was something beyond that pilot's control. Not that it matters I guess as they are deceased.

You can see the plane clearly in the video from post #1. Looks like it is mushing and then probably stalled. Not sure this is weather related. Unless they were VFR and had no horizon and that's why the mushing.

Hope I'm wrong though and it was something beyond that pilot's control
Hope so too. Apparently people could hear the engine throttling and the plane was seen to turn back. The fact that some people saw it tells me the conditions weren't that bad

I may be legal to take off into such conditions but its nowhere near safe.
The weather was no where near atrocious, and around here the morning layer is usually extremely thin, I've taken off in similar conditions. And usually you have many VFR airports either just east, north, or south. Unfortunately around here you have very limited options if you have a power failure, regardless of the conditions. But, undoubtedly, weather does add to the load factor should things hit the fan

KSEE 061847Z 00000KT 10SM SKC 18/07 A3003
KSEE 061747Z 00000KT 10SM SKC 14/08 A3003
KSEE 061625Z 00000KT 3SM BR FEW004 11/09 A3002
KSEE 061547Z 00000KT 2SM BR OVC003 10/09 A3002
KSEE 061447Z 00000KT 2SM BR OVC004 10/09 A3001
KSEE 061335Z AUTO 04003KT 3SM BR 11/10 A2998 RMK AO2

Sad and preventable I would surmise. VFR (questionable) into IMC. RIP

Hope I'm wrong though and it was something beyond that pilot's control. Not that it matters I guess as they are deceased.

According to that link the owner of the plane held a PPL with a IFR ticket, not seeing a pending IFR flight plan in flightaware, however it does look like his last flight might have involved some type of practice approaches or something, based on the tracks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

According to that link the plane held a PPL with a IFR ticket, not seeing a pending IFR flight plan in flight aware, though it does look like his last flight might have involved some practice approaches or something, based on the tracks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Didn't see that link James, just the 2nd post link above. Did the pilot depart w/ an IFR flight plan, or just VFR?

... weather was no where near atrocious...

Well that's pretty low IFR if you ask me.

Didn't see that link James, just the other one a few posts down. Did the pilot depart w/ an IFR flight plan, or just VFR?

I based the N number off this link that was posted
https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=205736

image.jpg

And in my experience normally if you file IFR, even if you don't depart, it'll still show in flight aware, the flight I a screen shot of was the last flight that flightaware captured.

So though it's not 100% conclusive, it appears he did not file IFR.

Last edited:
In order to stop the crazy speculation over IFR flight plans from those who don't know SoCal - you don't need to pre-file a flight plan here in SoCal.

there is so much fog and stratus that people often take off from an airport that has a 800-1000' ceiling and climb to VFR on top - and then go someplace that does not have a ceiling. So we often ask grund for a VFR On Top clearance where you fly the ODP to 3000 or 4000, depending on how high the layer is that day. Then when on top, you cancel and fly off to where ever it is you are going.

In order to stop the crazy speculation over IFR flight plans from those who don't know SoCal - you don't need to pre-file a flight plan here in SoCal.

there is so much fog and stratus that people often take off from an airport that has a 800-1000' ceiling and climb to VFR on top - and then go someplace that does not have a ceiling. So we often ask grund for a VFR On Top clearance where you fly the ODP to 3000 or 4000, depending on how high the layer is that day. Then when on top, you cancel and fly off to where ever it is you are going.

So you're ether illegally flying VFR in IMC or you're still flying under IFR at some point right?

Run your tail number in flight aware (if you're not FAA blocked), don't your flights where you pulled a IFR at some point still show up?

Hope so too. Apparently people could hear the engine throttling and the plane was seen to turn back. The fact that some people saw it tells me the conditions weren't that bad

The weather was no where near atrocious, and around here the morning layer is usually extremely thin, I've taken off in similar conditions. And usually you have many VFR airports either just east, north, or south. Unfortunately around here you have very limited options if you have a power failure, regardless of the conditions. But, undoubtedly, weather does add to the load factor should things hit the fan

KSEE 061847Z 00000KT 10SM SKC 18/07 A3003
KSEE 061747Z 00000KT 10SM SKC 14/08 A3003
KSEE 061625Z 00000KT 3SM BR FEW004 11/09 A3002
KSEE 061335Z AUTO 04003KT 3SM BR 11/10 A2998 RMK AO2

Depends how thick the layer was - but - KSEE is one of those airports that you cannot get back into easily IFR. No ILS. No precision approach - the RNAV 17 gives you your lowest mins and thats a 1000' AGL. So a 300' or 400' ceiling means the airport is not accessible - Part 91 can depart but you're not getting back in.

So you're ether illegally flying VFR in IMC or you're still flying under IFR at some point right?

Run your tail number in flight aware (if you're not FAA blocked), don't your flights where you pulled a IFR at some point still show up?
James- I'm telling you that sometimes these flights do NOT show up in the system. I cannot control how a controller enters a flight.

They are conducted under IFR but they are not prefiled - and are OFTEN set up as VFR flights by ATC. I have departed IFR to VFR on top from KPOC on several occasions and NOT shown up as an IFR flight. Of course, now that I have ADS-B I ALWAYS show up because someone picks me up - so unless you've done it here - and are familiar with how things work perhaps you should chill and listen to someone who does.

I've gone to the airport an hour after the TAF showed it should be CLR and its not - so you start up, taxi out and climb on top.

Depends how thick the layer was - but - KSEE is one of those airports that you cannot get back into easily IFR. No ILS. No precision approach - the RNAV 17 gives you your lowest mins and thats a 1000' AGL. So a 300' or 400' ceiling means the airport is not accessible - Part 91 can depart but you're not getting back in.

Trusting a layer to be thin is like trusting a fart.

Pop-ups don't always show up reliably in flightaware, and I'd guess that is how the departure would be filed as i.e. a pop-up. But I'm not ATC, only going from not seeing my pop-ups show up on FA. Maybe an ATC person could chime in.

Well that's pretty low IFR if you ask me.
Totally, I agree. I guess I just hate the idea of an IMC departure being "no where near safe" <- isn't that why we got our IR tickets so we can fly like the pros, or at least not have to cancel a flight for a mundane overcast layer?

Good sleuthing by the way on the pilot. Glad to see he was at least IR rated. Always scares me when you see a crash like this and learn that the pilot was PPL only.

Looks like he didn't even get high enough to ping a ADSB tower or home built reliever.

image.jpg

These are just the FAAs' towers, not accounting for all the home made hobby receivers
image.jpg

Last edited:
Part 91 can depart but you're not getting back in.
But MYF is a stone's throw away and has the proper ILS precision approach.. so there's that if you must get back on the ground ASAP. It won't help you in an engine failure... but then again even if SEE had a precision approach it still won't help you in an engine failure

I personally haven't done the VFR on top thing for that very reason. I'd rather be prepared to fly the whole flight "in the system" .. at that point the view out the window really doesn't matter one way or the other. But maybe I'm too green still in my sub 300 hr flying life to take too many risks

a) you don't fly a lot here - do you?

b) ATC knows where the layer tops are.

c) we have radio soundings and aircraft reports up the wazoo as to where the bases and tops are. . . .

But MYF is a stone's throw away and has the proper ILS precision approach.. so there's that if you must get back on the ground ASAP. It won't help you in an engine failure... but then again even if SEE had a precision approach it still won't help you in an engine failure

I personally haven't done the VFR on top thing for that very reason. I'd rather be prepared to fly the whole flight "in the system" .. at that point the view out the window really doesn't matter one way or the other. But maybe I'm too green still in my sub 300 hr flying life to take too many risks

I agree on the first point - the second is just comfort and experience - just like you note.

a) you don't fly a lot here - do you?

b) ATC knows where the layer tops are.

c) we have radio soundings and aircraft reports up the wazoo as to where the bases and tops are. . . .

I used to fly out of the central coast, and yes normally you can be pretty sure you can pop up back to VFR, but if you're launching and not fully prepared to fly the entire thing IMC, you're setting yourself up to have a bad time.

I used to fly out of the central coast, and yes normally you can be pretty sure you can pop up back to VFR, but if you're launching and not fully prepared to fly the entire thing IMC, you're setting yourself up to have a bad time.
And the clearance goes:

"Cleared via the Brackett 26 departure procedure, maintain 4000, if not on top by 4000 notify ATC and state intentions."

Then tower usually gives you bases and reported tops. It's all very much a non-event. I seriously don't think any of your 'setting yourself up to have a bad time" happened with this flight today. From the video it sure looked like the accident aircraft stalled - and that it was on the RNAV 17 approach back into the airport. Or to the airport.

From the video it sure looked like the accident aircraft stalled - and that it was on the RNAV 17 approach back into the airport
It's horrifying to think that two people may have died because of this. But perhaps if the guy wasn't very proficient and was trying to get some practice approaches in he just got too slow and stalled while leveling out during one of the step downs? Maybe he was fixated on the other instruments and lost track of his speed.. maybe after TOMTY he dipped below 1,440 and was fixated on keeping his altitude or getting back up to circling mins? Maybe he forgot to do his PFGUMPS and the prop wasn't set right. The video sure makes it look like this was a stall and not weather related

but if you're launching and not fully prepared to fly the entire thing IMC, you're setting yourself up to have a bad time
I agree. That's why I've never done one. I like to get the whole thing prepped out up front and just cruise in the system. If it's obviously VFR where I am and where I am going I can always cancel, but honestly, with all the BRAVO around here it is just easier to stay IFR.

I seriously don't think any of your 'setting yourself up to have a bad time"
You *shouldn't* be. But psychologically if I'm expecting to pop out at 4K and be in the clean and I get there and it is still IMC and then the guy starts reading off a full route clearance to me it will be difficult to not let that turn into a panic situation. But like you said, that comes back to psychological proficiency. If I'm going to go through the mental prep of prepping the whole flight to be IMC then why not just file. You are not wrong, tons of people around here do the pop up thing. I just don't think I'm there yet..

*but the whole thing is moot. From the video it looks like this accident had nothing to do with weather

Wasn't anything 'practice' about the approach shown in the video on the newspaper website. Sure looked IMC to me - and the reported METARs showed it as well.

I don't understand all this fuss over the on top issue - the tops are well known - many many other aircraft have entered or departed the layer ahead of you. The marine layer has a uniform top - and it goes all the way to the mountains. I've always broken out pretty much where they said I would. . . from 65F weather to 85F on top - you can feel the airplane stagger a little.

You wanna stay IMC fine - imho it adds a lot of unnecessary flying in IMC in order to get to your destination. I've flown into and out of MYF often when its IMC and it is a total PITA. I honestly would rather go into Lindbergh. You're in easy in the flow and you're out easy as well. The system exists to serve Lindbergh - and as Class B goes if you're going to Sandy Eggo then why not just go to Sandy Eggo.

With him not pinging a single tower, I wonder how much altitude he ever got.

Wasn't anything 'practice' about the approach shown in the video on the newspaper website. Sure looked IMC to me - and the reported METARs showed it as well.

I don't understand all this fuss over the on top issue - the tops are well known - many many other aircraft have entered or departed the layer ahead of you. The marine layer has a uniform top - and it goes all the way to the mountains. I've always broken out pretty much where they said I would. . . from 65F weather to 85F on top - you can feel the airplane stagger a little.

You wanna stay IMC fine - imho it adds a lot of unnecessary flying in IMC in order to get to your destination. I've flown into and out of MYF often when its IMC and it is a total PITA. I honestly would rather go into Lindbergh. You're in easy in the flow and you're out easy as well. The system exists to serve Lindbergh - and as Class B goes if you're going to Sandy Eggo then why not just go to Sandy Eggo.

But was he in trouble before, sunk out of IMC?

I stand behind going IFR if you're not mentally, physically, legally, and equipment wise able to theoretically do the whole flight IMC to minimums is a very bad idea.

Last edited:
Wow, so sad. Seemed to be hanging on the prop, high alpha, on the ragged edge of a stall, mushing down...and then a full stall, apparently.

There appears to be a large open field just a little south of where they crashed.

And usually you have many VFR airports either just east, north, or south.
That is totally not true.

There is nothing east of SEE until after you cross the mountains.

And if the marine layer is extending over SEE, you can pretty much count on MYF, SDM and even RMN to be IFR as well.

That is totally not true.
I guess my point was that excluding a serious emergency like a fire or engine out you have options at Borrego Springs, French Valley, Bermuda Dunes, Palm Springs, Riverside, etc. Even with a total electric failure I'll take my chances VFR to Borrego then the soup.

I don't know. That flight behavior wasn't an unusual attitude with a spin or spiral dive out of the clouds nor a cfit - the usual vfr into imc catastrophies. Tops were not high this AM, but obviously ceiling were low with low vis. There's no easy escape out of SEE if you've got engine or instrument issues shortly after take off. Could be something as "simple" as blocked static or lost vacuum causing confusion. Probably only had 30 seconds to transition to his scan. None of us know. I know it gives me a sick feeling though. RIP.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Sad indeed. It was very foggy at my house this morning, maybe 200' visibility (or whatever to the end of the cul de SAC is?).. some witnesses say they heard the engine "throttling"

I know as private individuals many folks would take issue with it, but I would if there would be some benefit to a voluntary "black box" type program for GA. So many of these accidents are left up to conjecture and result in "pilot's failure to fly the airplane" or something equally uninformative

My top questions are always
-was fuel sumped
-was run up completed
-when did the plane fly last
-what is the pilot's currency and experience

And how would the "black box" help you answer those?

Might provide more clarity than just "pilot lost control"

Might provide more clarity than just "pilot lost control"

You didn't answer the question.

How does the black box you advocate for GA answer your listed "top questions"?

Back