Crash near Kennesaw?

rbridges

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
rbridges
My daughter's boyfriend just sent me a text. Said a small plane crashed on campus about 30 minutes ago. That's all I know.

ksu crash.jpg

That won’t buff out

Heard the same from a friend that goes there. Tail number is N597CP. Cirrus sr22. Friend said they saw firefighters talking to someone inside plane so someone must be alive. Besides that it appears they pulled the chute & hit the tree on the way down.

Heard the same from a friend that goes there. Tail number is N597CP. Cirrus sr22. Friend said they saw firefighters talking to someone inside plane so someone must be alive. Besides that it appears they pulled the chute & hit the tree on the way down.

thanks. It's a pretty grainy pic, so I couldn't see much detail.

IMG_20181129_201900.jpg
Screenshot_20181129-221453.png

I'm also a student at Kennesaw State. Signed up to pitch in. No fatalities, both conscious, one was removed and the other was still in the plane by 8:30 when I took that photo from one of the campus buildings. The plane seems to have been in Nebraska 3 weeks ago. Also, it seems from the report that the parachute deployed and caused the plane to crash. Still a developing story.

Glad they appear to be okay. There’s not a lot of options if you have to set down after takeoff from RYY, especially if you’re departing from 27. The interstate would just about be your best and only option if departing from 9.

Engine failure according to the fire department. It was on it's way to Charlie Brown Field in Fulton County, GA from Omaha. 3 weeks ago...
Screenshot_20181129-221322.png

One of the local college students interviewed about it said he could smell jet fuel. See article. :rolleyes:
Lol. I saw that. It was probably from the plume of smoke as the engine hit the tree and took it down with it. The Kennesaw campus is where the average college student goes where they study liberal arts or something. The Marietta campus is where the engineering geeks (like myself, their words, not mine) are so I don't expect much of them in regards to a plane crash.

Lol. I saw that. It was probably from the plume of smoke as the engine hit the tree and took it down with it. The Kennesaw campus is where the average college student goes where they study liberal arts or something. The Marietta campus is where the engineering geeks (like myself, their words, not mine) are so I don't expect much of them in regards to a plane crash.

LOL. Interesting aspersion to cast on Kennesaw State liberal arts students as an engineering major, considering Georgia Tech being there and all. I have it on good authority GT folks say the same about your campus.

When you get older you'll realize just how stupid and immaterial viewing the world through the prism of "educational castes" are in the real world. I used to think being an engineering major was a badge of honor, but I was completely aloof to what really matters in this world. BL, nobody is impressed by quantitative training bud, it's a dime a dozen.

LOL. Interesting aspersion to cast on Kennesaw State liberal arts students as an engineering major, considering Georgia Tech being there and all. I have it on good authority GT folks say the same about your campus.

When you get older you'll realize just how stupid and immaterial viewing the world through the prism of "educational castes" are in the real world. I used to think being an engineering major was a badge of honor, but I was completely aloof to what really matters in this world. BL, nobody is impressed by quantitative training bud, it's a dime a dozen.
Tbh I haven't been doing well especially considering this is my first semester. I've started looking into alternatives because general studies courses suck the life out of me. The biggest reason to get a degree in my case is to eventually get PE certification. Otherwise, I'd learn engineering technology from a trade school and live on. The problem with colleges is they believe they need to "expand my horizons" and teach me about the LGBTQAIP+ movement and how Christianity and Judaism are selfish religions while Buddhism and Hindusm think of the community at whole.... What's my major again?

Tbh I haven't been doing well especially considering this is my first semester. I've started looking into alternatives because general studies courses suck the life out of me. The biggest reason to get a degree in my case is to eventually get PE certification. Otherwise, I'd learn engineering technology from a trade school and live on. The problem with colleges is they believe they need to "expand my horizons" and teach me about the LGBTQAIP+ movement and how Christianity and Judaism are selfish religions while Buddhism and Hindusm think of the community at whole.... What's my major again?

Boy you hit the nail on the head. Careful though - not supposed to talk about such things on the forum.

Engineering students getting Liberal Arts backgounding is likely to cause a major downturn in the Pocket Protector market ;)....,
but we digress

Last edited:
To me, it looks as if the popped the chute a bit late.

Well, if it really WAS jet fuel, that might be a reason why the engine would quit...

Read the article and see how he describes the smell. It’s sort of funny. Well, at least to me.

Heck, I’ll just paste it here.
“You could smell the jet fuel; you could just smell, it was a putrid - like gasoline -smell”

Read the article and see how he describes the smell. It’s sort of funny. Well, at least to me.

Heck, I’ll just paste it here.
“You could smell the jet fuel; you could just smell, it was a putrid - like gasoline -smell”
I read that, just saying with an unknown engine failure one has to look at all the possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read that, just saying with an unknown engine failure one has to look at all the possibilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I would agree but from what else the article said, it was on a flight from Omaha, NE to Fulton County, GA so it was near the end of its flight. Unlikely that it would have gone that long if it had jet fuel in the tanks.

....so it was near the end of its flight. Unlikely that it would have gone that long if it had jet fuel in the tanks.
Pretty near impossible. Jet fuel is heavier than avgas. It would have immediately settled to the bottom of the tanks, then been picked up in the fuel lines very early on. He probably would not have made it out of the departure airport.

I think the smell came from the diesel engines running in the firetrucks, I agree, the engine had been running to long for there to be jet fuel in the plane's tanks, glad they made it down safely, another Cirrus crashed at the JZP airport the day before, or maybe 2 days before, they were trying to do a go-around, hit a Cessna 182, then a couple of cars, the first car belonged to the local mechanic, and it looks like it was totally destroyed, keeping the ATL FSDO busy, they had a Cessna 150 crash on take off from a private strip in Woodstock, GA. about a week ago

I’m guessing what they smelled was the BRS rocket and the airbags.

I’ve never smelled them but I guess it is possible. What does the rocket burning smell like?

I figured that the kid just smelled 100LL but called it jet fuel because of course all planes use jet fuel, right? Of course a heavy fuel smell does not align with a fuel exhaustion theory.

I’m sure it will all be in the final report, but in the meantime we can still engage in our hobby of poking fun of an aviation illiterate reporter interviewing an aviation illiterate witness about an aviation accident.

The Cirrus rocket burns for less than one or two seconds, I started to write more but noticed there were no periods and capital letters and i didn't want the POA punctuation police to arrive

[QUOTE="Phantom Z3, post: 2639939, member: 35500] The problem with colleges is they believe they need to "expand my horizons" and teach me about the LGBTQAIP+ movement and how Christianity and Judaism are selfish religions while Buddhism and Hindusm think of the community at whole.... What's my major again?[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are learning a lot to me!!

Maybe this will make me sound dated...but back in my day it was only LGBT...

I was in the area not 45 mins before the crash near RYY watching a couple 172's buzz around (that's where I'll be doing my flight training). Shortly after I got home I heard about the crash from an acquaintance on campus - is it bad that, after finding out that everyone was ok my next thought was "Dangit, I hope they didn't bust up one of the 172's I'm supposed to train in!" ? ;)

-bob

Last edited:
Back