Barnstorming baby! :lol:

Engine out at night. Please don't let it be fuel exhaustion. :eek:

That is amazing.

Last edited:

That is amazing.
http://media.dev-cms.com/wtop/29/2942/294202.mp3

"Good thing it didn't have any (fuel) when it crashed into the living room because we'd probably have a totally different scenario right now," says Capt. Willie F. Bailey with Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.

They do fly better with go-juice aboard.

That is amazing.

Sorry to say news reports it was fuel exhaustion. Reported to have flown from Philly to VA. Looks like its a VA based plane.

Oh My God!! There could have been a kid riding that bicycle on the porch.:rolleyes2:

Registered to Aerial Photographers out of Vienna, VA, it's a 1972 model - obviously a new paint job!

Glad everyone is ok...

Dumbasses could have gone to IAD and gotten 2 gallons... It's about 30 seconds by air from where the plane went in.

Thank God everyone lived - this story is freaking my wife out enough with everybody living. I can't bear to think what would happen to my flying budget everyone died.

"Witnesses say the plane's landing gear was down..." Well, that's a good thing... The Land-O-Matic was still working.

Jumping to conclusions I see. It's possible they had an undetected/undetectable leak...

The plane crashed into the roof of the apartment building in Herndon, Va., early Friday after it had electrical problems and its engine cut off, said police spokeswoman Corinne Geller.

The men were taking infrared photographs for an aerial photography company, Geller said. They were headed to Manassas from Philadelphia, but rerouted to Dulles when they ran low on fuel.

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regional-southeasternpa/small-plane-which-took-off-from-philadelphia-crashes-in-virginia/-/121434/20370832/-/157n2yv/-/index.html

http://www.wfmz.com/news/news-regio...inia/-/121434/20370832/-/157n2yv/-/index.html

just heard on the radio some blond sounding pop dj making fun of this accident. funny hearing a bimbo make fun of stupid pilots.

Jumping to conclusions I see. It's possible they had an undetected/undetectable leak...
Possibly... but in most fuel exhaustion cases, sadly, it's not due to a leak.
It's so damn easy to ensure you have enough fuel for the flight: have a vague idea how many hours' worth you have when you take off, and land before that time elapses. Gauges or no gauges, that method works pretty well. How can any pilot forget that? :dunno:

"that apartment complex came out of nowhere!"

What kind of electrical problems cause a 177B's engine to cut out? One would think the low fuel condition would be a bit more likely as a cause....

Or, the 6 hours of fuel on board only lasted not quite 5 1/2 hours while they flew in rectangles taking infrared images looking for pot houses.

What kind of electrical problems cause a 177B's engine to cut out? One would think the low fuel condition would be a bit more likely as a cause....

None. However, the "B" model cardinals were originally equipped with the brilliant engineering marvel, the Bendix dual magneto, as were many Mooneys.

It is a long proven aerodynamic fact that even if you remove 100% of the fuel weight, the plane is still too heavy to fly for very long. :yesnod:

"Witnesses say the plane's landing gear was down..." Well, that's a good thing... The Land-O-Matic was still working.
:rolleyes:

N177FG is Assigned
Serial Number 17701781 Status Valid
Manufacturer Name CESSNA Certificate Issue Date 12/17/2004
Model 177B Expiration Date 01/31/2016
Type Aircraft Fixed Wing Single-Engine Type Engine Reciprocating
Pending Number Change None Dealer No
Date Change Authorized None Mode S Code (base 8 / oct) 50231662
MFR Year 1972 Mode S Code (base 16 / hex) A133B2
Type Registration Corporation Fractional Owner NO

Yet another good Cardinal bites the dust... what a waste. :(

It's a good thing the fixed landing gear was down. Lowering it would have been really, really difficult.

:mad2: CNN's report early this morning showed the 2 current crashes into buildings; good report. But then they showed clips of crashes months or years ago -- blatant sensationalism !! I'm surprised that there wasn't a breathless reporterette decrying that the pilot(s) had failed to file a flight plan. :hairraise::yikes:

This is the company that owns the plane.

http://www.dcairphotos.com/

'Taking infrared pictures at night'. I wondered whether this could be one of the many 'mystery cessnas' with northern virginia addresses that are seen around the country circling over neighborhoods, but this one seems legit.

they need to just seal up the house around the plane so you can keep it in the apartment building half sticking out for the life of the building... that would be awesome

Certainly possible, but if this proves to be yet another avoidable case of fuel exaustion, it raises the rate of accident occurences statistically and makes all of GA look bad. :mad2:

Sounds like they were getting the EAST transition past Dulles in to HEF (Jimminy, that route is right over my house. If they had another 2 minutes of fuel on board...). Unfortunately, the LiveATC feeds don't seem to catch any of the aircraft trans

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kiad/KIAD-App-IADFE-May-31-2013-0400Z.mp3

2:32 "DC Photo Potomac Approach Transition on the East Approved, Maintain 3500. There's traffic opposite direction, e a regional jet will be at 3000.

7:50 "DC Photo, Say Intentions"
8:00 "DC Photo, Roger"
8:20 "DC Photo, Altitude your discretion, there's a regional jet on 2 1/2 mile final for 19 Center. I'm going them pull him out to the west. Do you have him in sight?"
8:55 "DC Photo that traffic is breaking out to the west. The airport is about your ten o'clock, 2 miles. Altitude is your discretion."
9:10 "DC photo just continue inbound, you turn your discretion and they are pulling the equipment out for you."
10:00 "DC photo the equipment is coming. Your discretion you can turn anyway there is no traffic there for you."
10:30 "DC photo when you get a moment, number of people on board."
"Fuel remaining."
"How much fuel remaining"
"Fuel remaining, sir."
"Understand, Roger."
11:35 "DC photo understand roger, they're calling that in."
"Understand"
16:37 "Who called me just now"
"Calling potomac say again"
17:00 "Yeah, I'm thinking" ** According to the FAA indident report this is about when the crash happened.

Last edited:
None. However, the "B" model cardinals were originally equipped with the brilliant engineering marvel, the Bendix dual magneto, as were many Mooneys.

Yea, but it was the very rare 177b "2 passenger model"- they are known to have fuel issues!:wink2:

:mad2: CNN's report early this morning showed the 2 current crashes into buildings; good report. But then they showed clips of crashes months or years ago -- blatant sensationalism !! I'm surprised that there wasn't a breathless reporterette decrying that the pilot(s) had failed to file a flight plan. :hairraise::yikes:

30 posts before someone mentions the lack of a flight plan? What is wrong with you people? We're getting a little lazy here at POA! :D:rofl:

On the tower Frequency...http://archive-server.liveatc.net/kiad/KIAD-Twr-1R-19L-May-31-2013-0400Z.mp3

She gets pretty busy, working essentially SEVEN frequencies (three tower, three ground, and CD).

8:30 "AC ... I have an inbound with no power, standby."
9:11 "Fire Command, Dulles Ground Go Ahead."
9:20 "Fire Command. Proceed immediately. For more information, he thinks he's out of fuel."
9:40 "For now he's on 19 Left. I just want the lights on over there in case he can't make 19 Center. I really don't know what he's doing right now. Inbound for 19 Center as of right now."
10:10 "Yeah we're turning them on now, Thank you. I'm not sure he's going to make it over here."
10:35 "Attention all emergency vehcles, Aircraft will be landing on Dulles Toll Road not the airport. He's landing on the toll road."
10:55 "Yes you heard me right. He's landing on the toll road. We did see him. He's below the tree line now. He shouldbe ...I show him... I show him... He should be on the ground now. I don't show him in the air anymore."
13:00 "Fire Command What we saw was him just northwest. of the approach end 19 Left , I'm sorry northeast, northeast of 19 Left, when I had the lights turned on. And then he said he could not make it. I saw him descending out of 400 feet and he then told the approach controller, he never came on my frequency, that he needed to stop talking and land on the toll road. As far as I know he had no power and he thought he was out of gas. I did see him descend below the tree line and then he went out of sight."

There's a subsequent call from Fairfax 1 (police helicopter) with the tower controller as she tells them that he has landed on the toll road. They say they're going to launch and have a look (means they are probably at their base just a couple of miles south of my house, maybe five miles from the crash site).

AT 21:42 Fairfax 1 tells tower that they have a fire dispatch for Astoria Circle and they see their fire trucks rolling.

23:45 "The aircraft has crashed into an apartment building just next to the slanted building right beneath us."

Last edited:
Lest I get chastised for jumping to conclusions again, here is my amateur opinion based on living near the area, being familiar with the terrain, reading POA for a while, and being a very conscientious student pilot who is still all too familiar with how badly things can go wrong, and not enough hours under my belt to get anywhere near comfortable, let alone complacent.

The dumbasses ran out of gas, trying to push it to their home airport, rather than stopping for fuel on the way home after finishing their photo mission.

And what really irks me about this is that a) it's literally close to home, and b) my wife worries like hell that I'll die in a plane crash, so c) it puts even more strain on what is already a tenuous agreement regarding my flight training and eventual recreational flight, and d) it was entirely preventable.

:mad2:

The family is now requesting help, physically inventorying and moving their possessions out of the wrecked apartment. The apartment complex is letting them switch to another building in the same complex under their existing lease, but they're asking for help with the cleanup and move.

*sigh*

Back