Display name:
Romeo
Took my plane in to get the following put in:

• SIRS Compass
  • M803 Clock w/ OAT probe
  • RC Allen DG w/ AutoPilot Heading Bug
  • LED Landing Light (Whelen Parmetheus)
  • FS-450 Fuel Gauge

Ordered everything end of August. Everything came in top of September, but the shop I had to work done at forgot to tell me the DG arrived at that time (I called them and told them it was coming). I ordered it from Spruce and drop ship tracking numbers aren't in the invoice, so I waited a whole extra month until 14 days after the ship date (as indicated on the invoice) to find that out.

Get a date for the install, install happens a week late, shop claims they are busy, fine no problem.

Install happens and I call them to verify they tested the heading bug on the DG since I had a check-ride coming up. They said, "uh yeah the guy flying it back will PROBABLY test it", not "we did test it and it worked".

Get the plane back and here's where it stands:

• DG Heading bug is reversed. Set the A/P and the plane flies the 180 opposite of the heading bug.
  • New Compass put in, they gave me the adjustments card, blank. Left the old one under the new compass. It's obviously wrong as I took a couple flights and it's definitely NOT showing the right cardinal directions.
  • They didn't hook up the Garmin GTN 650 to the FS 450, so I get no waypoint fuel consumption info. Just a "99" when it sequences.

Had to cancel my checkride, re-schedule with a local shop to fix all of these issues and it's gonna cost more out of pocket to fix all of the crap they didn't do right.

So, my question, is this "normal"? What would you do in my case? Just suck it up and move on, or..."other"?

I had a really solid plan to finish up my IFR this past weekend, checkride was gonna be Tuesday, had to cancel all that when I got the plane back on Thursday night. Just really ****ed...:(

First thing I would have done is call the shop that did the work. Seems like they dropped the ball, but you should give them a chance to correct the problems, or at least see what they are willing to do to "make it right". One the other shop gets involved, I would assume they'd be less likely to help.

I don't blame you for being frustrated.

rbridges: Yeah I called him, but getting back in there involves rescheduling the work, having someone fly the plane up there and back, etc. I used this guy because he's a referral from the fellow that did my GTN 650 install, which went very well. I figured if this guy is as good as the one that did my GTN, I'm golden, obviously I'm less than impressed.

He didn't seem to have any clue about the 180 switch on the heading bug. I called the manufacturer (kellymfg) and they seem to think there's a pinout reversal on the STEC 30 A/P. I find it surprising that A: I had to find this out for him, and B: He wasn't aware of this when doing the install.

I'd take it back up there, and have them do it right on their dime.

And I would say "no, there is no rescheduling the work, you will do it now, or I will get a reversal/stop payment on the check I wrote you."

It is frustrating but the time frame stretching out is pretty normal in my experience. Sound like I've had better luck with install problems.

They actually haven't sent me a bill yet, but I know it's already gonna be bigger than what I was quoted.

Turns out the DG I got is longer then the one that was installed. Putting it in meant the sprocket on the yoke would back up to it and not give me full control movement in the elevator.

So..they redid the flippin' panel frame and moved it up like 2 inches and everything fits.

I called the guy over the weekend since he was up there, but no answer. Just spoke with the office manager and expressed my "disappointment". Hopefully I'll get this in by next week. I'd do it sooner, but I really wanna get some more hood time in (even if it's partial panel). My IFR has been held up a month now because of this shop's work.

I wonder why you started this project right before a check ride.

Seems like the margin for error is just too small in my way of thinking...

Kelvin, yeah..I do accept part of the blame for that. If they had done the work on-time as scheduled I'd have the plane done two weeks before my check-ride, as it was, they delayed almost 10 days past the initial start date, so..I was left with a day or two and the weekend.

The main reason for doing this before my checkride though was that the DG in the plane was precessing SO badly it was basically useless anyway. So this had to be done, timing could have been better though.

They actually haven't sent me a bill yet, but I know it's already gonna be bigger than what I was quoted.

Return it with a letter saying "Payment refused". The job was not done properly and another shop had to correct your mistakes.

It happens. Have couple shops I use. One, when I get plane, things need some adjustments and such. Other one, everything is perfect. But the no problem shop is almost twice the costs of other and in their defense they they don't have anyone capable or willing to test fly the plane.

So, my question, is this "normal"? What would you do in my case? Just suck it up and move on, or..."other"?

Yes, pretty normal these days, if you ask me. :( Not many people take pride in their work anymore. For the majority of businesses now, we are the cash cows.
Options? Depends on how much you already paid them and how much is still outstanding as leverage. Also depend on how much you even trust them.

Sorry for your situation.

This happens all to often in general aviation. I get a lot of calls from owners trying to rescue their plane from an out of control shop. If it helps much, I've seen a whole lot worse. All you can do is hope that they make it all good.

Turns out the DG I got is longer then the one that was installed. Putting it in meant the sprocket on the yoke would back up to it and not give me full control movement in the elevator.

So..they redid the flippin' panel frame and moved it up like 2 inches and everything fits.

I called the guy over the weekend since he was up there, but no answer. Just spoke with the office manager and expressed my "disappointment". Hopefully I'll get this in by next week. I'd do it sooner, but I really wanna get some more hood time in (even if it's partial panel). My IFR has been held up a month now because of this shop's work.

:yikes::hairraise:...

Get ready for a HUGE bill....:sad:..

There is a reason alot of us went the experimental route, and you could too since you did the leg work finding out the fix from the manufacturer...

You should be pizzed at the service you got...:mad2:

The thing that frustrates me is not so much the adjustments they did, but that they returned the plane to me in an OBVIOUSLY incomplete condition.

How lazy can you be that you don't even figure out the magnetic variance on the compass? Here's the thing, I want to have these jokers fix the mess they made, but I don't actually trust them enough to fix it, or to fix it on-time.

So I have two choices here, roll the dice on this guy again and hope he does it right the second time, or just give it to someone else. The other company that I made an appointment with has consistently been higher in cost then this other guy and also much harder to get an appointment with due to them being so busy with work. But, the local FBO/flight school uses them and recommends them.

Sucks...

Yet another reason to have everything in writing. E-mail counts.

Remember the difference between a quote and an estimate. If what you got was a quote, they started the job and had to do more work than they thought, I don't think they can charge you more than the original quoted price.

• DG Heading bug is reversed. Set the A/P and the plane flies the 180 opposite of the heading bug.
Warranty

• New Compass put in, they gave me the adjustments card, blank. Left the old one under the new compass. It's obviously wrong as I took a couple flights and it's definitely NOT showing the right cardinal directions.
Warranty

• They didn't hook up the Garmin GTN 650 to the FS 450, so I get no waypoint fuel consumption info. Just a "99" when it sequences.
Was this specifically requested? Many integrated systems have options like that which never get wired. Either they are forgotten about or ignored. Audio panels and engine monitors are typically loaded with options. This may be warranty or a change order.

Yes, pretty normal these days, if you ask me. :(

Every avioinics repair or upgrade we've done has never been 100% correct out of the gate. Something always needs re-done it seems. Sadly, par for the course.

So you chose the shop on price, ordered the hardware yourself cutting the shop out of their mark up on the parts that they will make up in labor charges, you had to fly the airplane there incurring more costs and now you have to fly it back there for a fix or pay the local shop more money. The lesson is most times cheaper ends up not the least expensive route. If it is a good avionics or maintenance shop that does work for a reasonable price it is cheaper in the long run to use them and they are right there to take care of any problems that crop up. Don

Yet another reason to have everything in writing. E-mail counts.

Remember the difference between a quote and an estimate. If what you got was a quote, they started the job and had to do more work than they thought, I don't think they can charge you more than the original quoted price.

There's typically an allowance in the contract for work performed beyond scope, and even so, quotes are rare for stuff like this.

Also, you need to realize that a quote is nothing than a typical bait-and-switch tactic to get your airplane into the shop and then run up a huge bill.
Most people get a few quotes and then go to the lowest bidder with an acceptable opening in the schedule.

It is absolutely common for the final bill to be double of the quote and often it is even triple.
Frankly, would you have gone to the shop if they quoted you triple to begin with? :) It is a common and accepted practice. Why do we accept it? Um ... start a new thread and we'll see.

Also, you need to realize that a quote is nothing than a typical bait-and-switch tactic to get your airplane into the shop and then run up a huge bill.
Most people get a few quotes and then go to the lowest bidder with an acceptable opening in the schedule.

It is absolutely common for the final bill to be double of the quote and often it is even triple.
Frankly, would you have gone to the shop if they quoted you triple to begin with? :) It is a common and accepted practice. Why do we accept it? Um ... start a new thread and we'll see.

Because for one brief moment we reach an epiphany, a moment of clear lucid sanity and realize 'money isn't what life is about, money is a tool to get us the experiences we want, and we want this experience."

You guys must all go to some shady shops. I never run into this issue.

Well the double final bill, not having it. A real business will keep you apprised of what's needed and what it will cost, they will get a go ahead before starting said work, many states like CA will not allow a lien to be placed without a signed work order with the cost, spring a surprise double the amount bill when a customer goes to pick up his plane, good chance you just did free work for the owner.

One thing I don't get, you said someone else is flying it to the shop and doing the test flight, why aren't you doing that stuff? It's a great way to pay too much and have no quality control. I've never had any work done on my plane when I wasn't present, 90% of the time I'm turning wrenches next to the AP, takes the BS factor out, eliminates miscommunications and surprises.

If you don't have time to do that stuff, probably better off just renting or something, or just consider what happened to you as normal.

On a 30-50 year old airplane, unless you brought it in for a thorough inspection to develop the quote, you have to allow for things that are beyond the scope of the work order, but need to be done to address an ancillary function; with panels it's often the wire harnesses are in such bad shape they need to be done new. That's a lot of man hours even with experienced people having all the slick specialty tools for terminating wires.

Back