Cranky old man thread

I'd take (and in the past have) a 1 liter Japanese or Italian (preferably a Ducati) sportbike over ANY Harley, any day of the week.

As the thread side tracks...

Are there any US-made bikes out there, besides Harley?

As the thread side tracks...

Are there any US-made bikes out there, besides Harley?

Actually, I think that was the initial point that caused the issue.

Victory?

I believe Indian is now TU.

Well Sac Arrow

There's this thing called judgement...... Many in aviation regard it highly......

Are there any US-made bikes out there

Rokon
Indian

I personally don't care in the least about feel good labels or social status symbols. I'll get the one that does what I need it to do with the reliability that is essential. If it's american, great, if not, great. All I care about is it being reliable when I push the start button 100 miles from nowhere.

Guys. I think its a bit of a leap to dismiss one's ability to fly an airplane safely based on an encounter with a homeless person, and I'll bet just about anyone here has had a verbal run in with someone who screamed at them at one point or another.

Let's give Sac the benefit of the doubt before the long knives come out. K?

Now. Buy a Harley! :D

Anthony, no worries mate, Sac Arrow has a thick skin. I actually think it's humorous how serious some people take discussion topics.

I honestly have a hard time getting worked up over ANY topic of discussion on an Internet message board - certainly not to the extent that I need to parlay personal attacks on the posters. For those that do, well, that speaks volumes for their own judgement and civility.

Guys. I think its a bit of a leap to dismiss one's ability to fly an airplane safely based on an encounter with a homeless person, and I'll bet just about anyone here has had a verbal run in with someone who screamed at them at one point or another.

Let's give Sac the benefit of the doubt before the long knives come out. K?

Now. Buy a Harley! :D

I thought this was the "Cranky Old Man" thread. I was jusy playing the part! :rofl:

I think everyone missed my humorous attempt at being the grumpy old man. Oh well, if I was really funny I would be in a stand up routine in LA. :rolleyes:

Buy an RV!

I thought this was the "Cranky Old Man" thread. I was jusy playing the part! :rofl:

I think everyone missed my humorous attempt at being the grumpy old man. Oh well, if I was really funny I would be in a stand up routine in LA. :rolleyes:

Buy an RV!

D'oh!!

Rokon
Indian

I personally don't care in the least about feel good labels or social status symbols. I'll get the one that does what I need it to do with the reliability that is essential. If it's american, great, if not, great. All I care about is it being reliable when I push the start button 100 miles from nowhere.

(as I continue the side-track...)

Getting into shooting is a two-fer, you can get good US-made firearms and ammo and tick-off the anti-gun nuts* while having fun shooting paper targets... albeit it's a little harder to obtain firearms and ammo in Massachusetts.

*I do want to say that not everyone who is anti-gun is a nut.

I wear practically no clothing, down here on the island. Khaki pants, Hawaiian shirt, sandals.

And when I'm working, I'm usually carrying a 9 mm Keltec. The new sub-compact handguns are very easy to conceal.

Aint that the truth, more people carry so more gunmakers make small guns to carry, capitalism at work.

And with just a little creativity even BIG handguns can vanish below very little cloth.

Aint that the truth, more people carry so more gunmakers make small guns to carry, capitalism at work.

And with just a little creativity even BIG handguns can vanish below very little cloth.

Must get gun-toting loincloth fat guy image... Out. Of. My. Head!!!

Must get gun-toting loincloth fat guy image... Out. Of. My. Head!!!

Thanks. Now I have that image in my head also. Oy Vey!

Mt. Evans, Mt. Evans, Mt. Evans...........

Places with the rudest people always seem to have the toughest gun laws... IDK if its Darwin playing out in the lax states or just people knowing they can get away with more in the strict ones. Both? Or maybe they are insecure without a firearm attached to their hip so they yell to look scary? In CT we can carry but it has to be concealed. Almost defeats the purpose, I don't want to shoot anybody, would much rather deture the would be attacker in the first place. Nicest people I ever met were in Texas where its open-carry (despite what was saidin previous posts). I have been guilty myself of instigating sometimes though..

<---<^>--->

Most homeless people are either mentally ill or addicted. It's likely that the man simply couldn't help his exceedingly poor judgment in criticizing, even in jest, any motorcyclist's ride. (That's evidence of bat-crazy all by itself.):eek:

For the biker to return fire with screaming obscenity and then to brag about his strange behavior on a pilot's forum might indicate some real significant issues :loco:upstairs for our Cranky Old Man.

That can't be, because Cranky has at least a Class III medical, right? :confused:Therefore, there's a rational excuse for the peculiar outburst. It must have been the first time the poor guy ever heard that not-very-original suggestion, and he must have been devastated. There, there, dear. That unfortunate Mr. Homeless really didn't mean his suggestion the way it sounded. Your bike is surely much nicer than any Harley. Pat, pat, pat.:rolleyes2:

Also, Cranky might consider two more things: First, that some of us don't care to hear the breadth and depth of his erudite vocabulary.:nono: It makes us feel inferior, because we don't know all those big fancy words. And second, the next scruffy dude he treats to a display of his anger mismanagement might NOT be homeless, but he might have equally poor judgment, with an equally short emotional fuse, and he might, as alluded to in previous posts, be carrying.:hairraise:

Most homeless people are either mentally ill or addicted. It's likely that the man simply couldn't help his exceedingly poor judgment in criticizing, even in jest, any motorcyclist's ride. (That's evidence of bat-crazy all by itself.):eek:

For the biker to return fire with screaming obscenity and then to brag about his strange behavior on a pilot's forum might indicate some real significant issues :loco:upstairs for our Cranky Old Man.

That can't be, because Cranky has at least a Class III medical, right? :confused:Therefore, there's a rational excuse for the peculiar outburst. It must have been the first time the poor guy ever heard that not-very-original suggestion, and he must have been devastated. There, there, dear. That unfortunate Mr. Homeless really didn't mean his suggestion the way it sounded. Your bike is surely much nicer than any Harley. Pat, pat, pat.:rolleyes2:

Also, Cranky might consider two more things: First, that some of us don't care to hear the breadth and depth of his erudite vocabulary.:nono: It makes us feel inferior, because we don't know all those big fancy words. And second, the next scruffy dude he treats to a display of his anger mismanagement might NOT be homeless, but he might have equally poor judgment, with an equally short emotional fuse, and he might, as alluded to in previous posts, be carrying.:hairraise:

I'm really done arguing with the issue, but I want to make two points: We aren't talking about your typical Midwestern suburb where everybody attends an ice cream social after Sunday school. We are talking about a City in the North Bay better known for drive-bys and riots. THAT IS A STANDARD GREETING THERE! Don't worry. Your kids won't be in that part of town. You don't want them in that part of town. You don't want to be in that part of town. Packing? You know what they pack in that town? AK's! Yeah, I get a tad wound up and uptight sometimes when I go there.

Secondly, I find the mentality of "you aren't like me so therefore you are worthless please leave the board and my little tight knit community" somewhat offensive in itself. I find it a case of the pot calling the kettle black. I'm not accusing you of that, but a few respondents have expressed that attitude.

Not to continue the argument, but since I'm not very often in the seamier parts of the North Bay, I'm curious. Does obscenity, rudeness, and hostility, both given and received, add much to the quality of life there? Is it too costly in terms of saving face, to ignore the offensive, the drug-addled, and the nuts, and keep on going?
When I was forced to drive in the City of Brotherly Love, from time to time I returned those friendly greetings- assuring me that I was Number One in their book-by blowing a kiss, as I slowed down to read a street sign. Almost always got me a loud and prolonged honk as the native passed on the shoulder to hurry to his rightful place right ahead of me at the next traffic light. I was told my genial response was not conducive to longevity in that charming town, so I gave up, and ignored them... but it wasn't easy.

"We don't serve faster-than-light neutrinos in here," said the bartender.

A neutrino walks into a bar...

Not to continue the argument, but since I'm not very often in the seamier parts of the North Bay, I'm curious. Does obscenity, rudeness, and hostility, both given and received, add much to the quality of life there? Is it too costly in terms of saving face, to ignore the offensive, the drug-addled, and the nuts, and keep on going?
When I was forced to drive in the City of Brotherly Love, from time to time I returned those friendly greetings- assuring me that I was Number One in their book-by blowing a kiss, as I slowed down to read a street sign. Almost always got me a loud and prolonged honk as the native passed on the shoulder to hurry to his rightful place right ahead of me at the next traffic light. I was told my genial response was not conducive to longevity in that charming town, so I gave up, and ignored them... but it wasn't easy.

No, of course not. The quality of life is terrible. Rudeness and hostility ensures survival, not quality of life.

Let me tell you a little about me. I grew up in places that were not very nice. Some of them inner cities where you had to fight for survival. If you didn't stand your ground you didn't survive. It's ironic that I spent four years in the military and am Ranger qualified, and saw combat, yet, the knife marks on my chest were incurred in junior high school.

I normally work in good places. Sometimes I work in bad places. I won't send staff to downtown Vallejo or Oakland to do our business because it's beyond their call of duty and they can't handle it. So I go. Believe it or not, but I can switch between inner city gansta mentality and happy suburban mentality in like two seconds. Some people don't understand it.

I relayed the situation as it occured. The background and setting was irrelevant to me and I didn't give a second thought about how others might interpret it.

Anyway I don't know if I answered your question but that's my take on it.

Sac,
This comes from experience:

When someone flips me off, or says something rude to me. I just reply '' Jesus loves You !'' and smile. It's funny to see the return reaction.

Sac,
This comes from experience:

When someone flips me off, or says something rude to me. I just reply '' Jesus loves You !'' and smile. It's funny to see the return reaction.

That's neat. I like that!

Hey Dale, is the barbecue still good in Hopkinsville? ;)

Finally, a thread with three of my four favorite topics: bikes, guns and aviation. If someone brings up chicks my day will be complete.

Finally, a thread with three of my four favorite topics: bikes, guns and aviation. If someone brings up chicks my day will be complete.

Here ya go. Chicks with guns even!

chickgun53.jpg

Query:

Who else thinks Shania Twain is hot?

shania_twain2.jpg

Well, you're certainly in the right thread. :D I've had a major crush on that cutie for several years.

well, she can't hold a candle to Kathy Ireland.

NOW this thread is heading in the right direction!
Thank you!!

but why feed the stereotype of guys on sportbikes?

Few would mistake a Kowalski Concours for a sport bike.

In defense of Sac, I find the bike does rather change my behavior. Anyone who knows me knows that I am as meek as all get out (though very loud). Bikers are supposed to be bad-assed, and I tend to find myself upholding the stereotype when astride my bike as a service to my brother bikers. A bad-assed reputation can be a handy thing, and it is difficult enough being a biker.

That said, I doubt I could have suppressed my natural tendency toward humor. Last time anyone told me I should ride a Harley (it was somebody non-skeezy) I agreed, telling them that I needed to slow down, and a Harley was the perfect bike to do so as they don't go fast.

Can't leave without a Harley joke:

Did you hear that 95% of all Harleys ever made are still on the road?

yeah, the other 5% actually made it home.

Safe riding everyone.

Back