Crank AD 2012-19-01

darylp

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
darylp
Is this AD applicable to the IO 360 B1E? It shows up on FAA site when I search AD's by engine, but I don't see this engine listed in the AD itself or MSB 569a.

Is this AD applicable to the IO 360 B1E? It shows up on FAA site when I search AD's by engine, but I don't see this engine listed in the AD itself or MSB 569a.

First post.......

Welcome to POA....

Thanks, I thought so but this is a big one.

Thanks, I thought so but this is a big one.

Sit tight..... Our resident aircraft engine guru.. Ted... Is probably enroute from vacation.... He will know the details more then anyone else....IMHO..

Last edited:
If your S/N is listed, yes:

(1) If Table 1, Table 2, Table 3, or Table 4 of Lycoming MSB No. 569A, dated April 11, 2006,
lists your engine serial number (S/N), and Table 5 of MSB No. 569A, dated April 11, 2006, lists your crankshaft S/N, replace the affected crankshaft with a crankshaft that is no
t listed in Table 5 of MSB No. 569A at the earliest of the following:

Does your S/N fall in that list?

Oh and welcome to POA!

Matt got it right. The issue had to do with particular crankshafts. Have your A&P look at your logs and the AD to find out if yours is included.

Serial number is not listed but neither do I see any IO 360 E1B's. looks like I'm good to go! Thanks for the info so quickly. I just knew I was reading it wrong and couldn't be fortunate.

Serial number is not listed but neither do I see any IO 360 E1B's. looks like I'm good to go! Thanks for the info so quickly. I just knew I was reading it wrong and couldn't be fortunate.

All IO-360 engines are effected:
(c) Applicability
This AD applies to Lycoming Engines (L)O-360, (L)IO-360, AEIO-360, IO-390, AEIO-390, O- 540, IO-540, AEIO-540, (L)TIO-540, IO-580, AEIO-580, and IO-720 series reciprocating engines listed by engine model number and serial number in Table 1, Table 2, Table 3, or Table 4 of Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) 569A, dated April 11, 2006, and those engines with crankshafts listed by crankshaft serial number in Table 5 of Lycoming MSB 569A, dated April 11, 2006. These applicable engines are manufactured new, rebuilt, overhauled, or had a crankshaft installed after January 1, 1997, according to Supplement No. 1 to Lycoming MSB No. 569A, dated May 27, 2009.

Was your engine overhauled or had the crank replaced after 1997?

That's when these cranks were made. any thing prior is not effected.

We just had to replace a perfectly good mid-time O-540 due to this. It only cost 40K to comply with this.

Though there may be something to this. Because the new engine is night and day better running and smoother than the one that got replaced. Also noted is that in 99 when this just replaced engine was put in, it was the second one that was sent out by Lycoming. The reason was that the first one ran really rough and made metal within the first 15 hours.

I hear a lot of people talk about replacing a "perfectly good" crank.

Does that mean we replace "perfectly good" oil at our oil changes? After all, we aren't seeing any lube system issues yet...

(c) Applicability
This AD applies to Lycoming Engines (L)O-360, (L)IO-360, AEIO-360, IO-390, AEIO-390, O- 540, IO-540, AEIO-540, (L)TIO-540, IO-580, AEIO-580, and IO-720 series reciprocating engines listed by engine model number and serial number in Table 1, Table 2, Table 3, or Table 4 of Lycoming Mandatory Service Bulletin (MSB) 569A, dated April 11, 2006, and those engines with crankshafts listed by crankshaft serial number in Table 5 of Lycoming MSB 569A, dated April 11, 2006. These applicable engines are manufactured new, rebuilt, overhauled, or had a crankshaft installed after January 1, 1997, according to Supplement No. 1 to Lycoming MSB No. 569A, dated May 27, 2009.
Well, not all of them -- just the ones whose engine or crankshaft serial numbers are listed in MSB 569A.

Well, not all of them -- just the ones whose engine or crankshaft serial numbers are listed in MSB 569A.

But for the sake of discusion the AD does apply until proven otherwise and documented as such. If you had a "flyaway can" for a your rental plane, I would expect to find this AD in there.

But for the sake of discusion the AD does apply until proven otherwise and documented as such.
That's not what the AD says.
This AD applies to Lycoming Engines (L)O-360, (L)IO-360, AEIO-360, IO-390, AEIO-390, O- 540, IO-540, AEIO-540, (L)TIO-540, IO-580, AEIO-580, and IO-720 series reciprocating engines listed by engine model number and serial number ...

I hear a lot of people talk about replacing a "perfectly good" crank.

Does that mean we replace "perfectly good" oil at our oil changes? After all, we aren't seeing any lube system issues yet...

Ted.... I respectfully disagree... You have a flawed analogy..

Oil is perfectly good when sold and breaks down from use....

Lycoming cranks were NOT perfectly good when they were sold to customers.... Hence the AD...

I guess, then, you would say every AD applies to every aircraft until you've checked to see if it applies to yours. :sigh:

Ever look at an appliance AD list and just wonder what make/model/serial altimeter really is in the hole or if one those texas instruments or potter brumsfeld circuit breakers are in it?

Ted.... I respectfully disagree... You have a flawed analogy..

Oil is perfectly good when sold and breaks down from use....

Lycoming cranks were NOT perfectly good when they were sold to customers.... Hence the AD...

Actually, that's my exact point. :)

When you change oil at 50 hours, it's no longer perfectly good. It's broken down from use. Your lube system still outwardly looks good, but you're going to hurt your engine tremendously if you don't change the oil.

And the cranks, they ain't perfectly good, either! Continued use may result in a break down of a very unpleasant sort!

The difference is the cranks were never good, and thus should be replaced. The oil gets no longer perfectly good, and need replaced.

(c) Applicability

Was your engine overhauled or had the crank replaced after 1997?

That's when these cranks were made. any thing prior is not effected.

Tom, eng was overhauled in 2003, crank was not changed. That was first overhaul. Looking for crank serial number now.

Tom, eng was overhauled in 2003, crank was not changed. That was first overhaul. Looking for crank serial number now.

Be great if you can find a yellow tag for the possible work the crank received at overhaul.

Well if it was not replaced then when was it manufactured?

When reading an AD look for a legitimate way out of it, not for a reason to have to do it.

I'm always amazed to see log book entries for AD inspections that didn't apply. Recently looked at the logbooks on a PA32-300 where the prop had been getting removed regularly to comply with an AD that stated right in the applicability section that it only applied if the prop was installed on a 360 :rolleyes2:

Be great if you can find a yellow tag for the possible work the crank received at overhaul.

Going from memory here, isn't the S/N stamped on the flange? I may well be wrong, been quite a while since I have had to do this AD/SB on anything.

Going from memory here, isn't the S/N stamped on the flange? I may well be wrong, been quite a while since I have had to do this AD/SB on anything.

It should be. But it may not be visable with the prop, spinner and ring gear installed.

It should be. But it may not be visable with the prop, spinner and ring gear installed.

When in doubt the option always exists, and if paying for the mechanic to research it it can be cheaper too...

Yes Ron, It applies to all IO-360 engines.

If it did not there would be a list of the ones that it applied to.

It applies until you prove it does not. and it will be signed off in the aircraft records as such.

This AD is a prime example why the owner/operator should have a copy of the work order of each overhaul.

If you can determine the S/N of your crankshaft there will be no questions. If it is not listed in the MSB then no action is required even if your engine S/N were listed.

If you can determine the S/N of your crankshaft there will be no questions. If it is not listed in the MSB then no action is required even if your engine S/N were listed.

There is one action that should be completed. Wouldn't you like an entry in the maintenance records that states this AD does not apply due to crank shaft serial number ______.

That way some duffus buyer can't say the AD is due.

There is one action that should be completed. Wouldn't you like an entry in the maintenance records that states this AD does not apply due to crank shaft serial number ______.

That way some duffus buyer can't say the AD is due.

+1

Even if the crankshaft is not affected, an entry will be going into the logbook saying so.

+1

Even if the crankshaft is not affected, an entry will be going into the logbook saying so.

Good habit to be in, when ever I get notice of a new one I check it out, and if there is any doubt of its applicability I make a Log entry on the spot

Back