Cracked oil tank

You're right. I shoulda known all along that the big one wasn't mine.
No, no, no!

It was coated with Distillate of Unobtanium prior to application of the Magic Cessna Sticker. :D

Back on topic: Just a reminder, this point was already made, but if you re-zip-tie those hoses back onto the filler neck it's gonna crack again. :(

2.JPG

Last edited:
Back on topic: Just a reminder, this point was already made, but if you re-zip-tie those hoses back onto the filler neck it's gonna crack again. :(

Not planning on it. Making an effort to eliminate all that. I've got about $200 worth of random clamps and hardware showing up from Aircraft Spruce today.

Can't see from your pictures but is there a support tab to bolt onto the lower right engine mount boss? If so make sure it still aligns properly and doesn't put any tension or stress on the neck when tightened. If not there should be one, you'll notice a stud protruding from the mount to accommodate it.

I ask because I own a couple of small Continentals and have worked on hundreds of others and never seen a cracked filler neck like that. It is pretty well supported by design.

Can't see from your pictures but is there a support tab to bolt onto the lower right engine mount boss? If so make sure it still aligns properly and doesn't put any tension or stress on the neck when tightened. If not there should be one, you'll notice a stud protruding from the mount to accommodate it.

I ask because I own a couple of small Continentals and have worked on hundreds of others and never seen a cracked filler neck like that. It is pretty well supported by design.
Yes the support tab is there and was attached.

My bible for the engine is Henry Fentons page on small Continentals, he does say:
Inspect the sump for cracks around the neck, a relatively common problem. The sump flange should be relatively flat
http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

Repaired crack after paint:
OrcQfvT.jpg

A few engine pictures for those that are curious. Remaining zip ties will be removed tonight. I know one has to be careful with paper towels, just all I had, I make sure they're 100% intact when I remove them and check inside with a mirror as well:
WKPDZw4.jpg

E2Bp0GS.jpg

Looking good, Jesse. Glad that it's all getting taken good care of.

Yes the support tab is there and was attached.

My bible for the engine is Henry Fentons page on small Continentals, he does say:

http://www.bowersflybaby.com/tech/fenton.htm

Wait, there is a tab to bolt the filler neck to the engine mount? Do you have solid or rubber mount bushings holding the engine to the mount? If they are not solid, I wouldn't secure the neck to the mount.

Wait, there is a tab to bolt the filler neck to the engine mount? Do you have solid or rubber mount bushings holding the engine to the mount? If they are not solid, I wouldn't secure the neck to the mount.

I'm 90% sure the filler neck bolts to the engine case, will look again tonight.

Picture worth a thousand words...

DSCN6489%255B1%255D.JPG

Right, but that is the engine mount boss.

Finished putting it all back together tonight and ran it for 30 minutes

Back