Cracked Cowl Flap

Mtns2Skies

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Mtns2Skies
Cessna 180 LH cowl flap just cracked along the left side and makes it impossible to close because it gets hung up on the cowling. So I'm looking at getting a new cowl flap $$$ but saw that some used ones have the same gouge mark on the left side of the flap just like mine (see ebay link). Now when I buy a new one, I don't want it to just get rubbed through and crack again.

Are my cowl flaps misaligned or is there nothing I can do about this?

Can a doubler be riveted on the back to save mine or am I doomed to buy another?

Headed to the hangar in a bit to uncowl and I can get better pictures.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/0752014-1-Cessna-185-Cowl-Flap-Assy-LH-/331674692994

Ummm, just about any A&P should be able to fab the part and replace the cracked piece. It's just aluminum.

Replace the side piece if it's bad enough to warrant it. Probably too much slop in the cowl flap hinge. Maybe at the cable fork as well. Looks like it's hammering the cowl when open.

I've seen a few tricks people use on the cowl flaps

One is put some silicone over the hinge and let it dry

image.jpg

The other is a small thin Teflon anti chafe strip on the sides.

Last edited:
Check your hinges. Numerous Cessna cowl flaps have departed the airplanes in flight due to worn out cowl flap hinges.

You don’t want to know what a factory Cessna cowl flap costs to replace. Keep them well maintained and have a mechanic fabricate fixes as necessary or it’ll get expensive real fast.

Due to the crack the cowl flap gets hung up in the open position. Going to try to get it checked out tomorrow.

I watched Piper building Mirages on the assembly line. They used a large wood or raw hide mallet during door fitting. Just sayin. o_O

Due to the crack the cowl flap gets hung up in the open position. Going to try to get it checked out tomorrow.

I would just repair it, but use countersunk rivets, maybe cut out the crack and put a filler in hole with a doubler behind it.

Looks easy to me.

Address the problem, not just the symptoms.

How did that get missed at the sale inspection? You’ve inherited the seller’s deferred maintenance.

You’ve inherited the seller’s deferred maintenance.

Yep, welcome to general aviation in 2018!

The RTV trick does work, but you need to start with fresh parts and a properly set up system. I have done a few cowl flap repairs and it is doable, it just takes time, especially with any compound skins.

Back