Cracked aluminum cowling

Money. The market can’t support the overhead. To me that speaks of regulatory requirements more than the market demand. Clearly the demand for $350K Cubs is there.

To me that speaks of regulatory requirements more than the market demand.
Don't follow you. The regulatory requirements are an up front cost before you produce an aircraft. Full stop. Once you obtain your TC and PC your regulatory costs are no more than any other manufacturing business. But because you built your aircraft to a standard, i.e., the TC/PC, your product liability costs skyrocket vs an E/AB which is produced not by you the manufacturer, but by your customer per no standard, i.e., no product liability. Not rocket science here.

You aren’t a businessman I take it? Market and costs are everything. But I have no reason to argue with you. Believe what you wish.

You aren’t a businessman I take it?
Own 2 LLCs -- 1 aviation-based and 1 non-aviation -- which funded a retirement in my early 50s. You?
Market and costs are everything.
Never said they weren’t. You stated it was regulation costs that keep the GA market down when in fact the FAA has taken measures to reduce those certification costs over the past decade. But no takers. I merely disagreed in that it’s product liability costs that keep the GA market down. Put an across-the-board civil tort cap on damages and the GA market will take off like a scalded dog. Just like the intent of GARA which didn’t go far enough due to the efforts of the most powerful lobbyists in DC, the legal industry. Just be thankful those same attorneys haven’t figured a way to make claims against CC or Vans for damages caused by an aircraft you build or operate as an E/AB. When that happens, then we'll see how your costs compare. It’s my understanding they’re already making inroads on the LSA side. It is what it is.;)

Manufacturing and distribution incorporated in 2 states. Only for the past 31 years, though, so still learning.

Exp is the future for private GA, and it’s all about the regulations!

Already got bugs on it. It'll be ugly for a few months, but into the paint shop this winter so overall good timing.
PXL_20210609_014348087.jpg

How was the fit?
A&P said very good and was pleased with the quality.

I did see knots2u sells a carbon fiber one, but I'd imagine the fiberglass is much easier to work with over time.

Last edited:
I don't even think Carbon is that much lighter than fiberglass. Certainly not enough to justify the cost and use difficulties.

upload_2021-6-9_10-16-55.png

Is that a crack? It should get stopdrilled before it wanders any farther.

Paint doesn't make them fly any better. Stop being so hard on the beast!

I had a carbon fiber nose bowl made for my Cub using my fiberglass and bondo prototype as a plug to make a mold. All that money and work and I'm still using the prototype.

Scratch in the (otherwise perfect) paint.
Obviously. By the way, glad that came so well together. I agree with the guys, paint and interior aren't what makes an airplane fly. Fly around some, enjoy your aircraft, take the wife somewhere nice. You can worry about the cosmetics later.

Back