CPAP frustration - pulling my medical!

As to why pilots hide illnesses and stay away from Drs, that's a whole other can of worms. I do not make my living flying so there's a level of pressure there that I don't deal with. That said, if I thought I had an issue (and I went through this a few years ago), I self ground and go to the Dr. I do pay attention to treatment choices so as to not lose my privileges for no reason, but if the choice ever comes to be healthy or fly, I'm going with be healthy. My ethics would dictate that if self-interest did not. I have no right to knowingly endanger any one else.

John

As to why pilots hide illnesses and stay away from Drs, that's a whole other can of worms. I do not make my living flying so there's a level of pressure there that I don't deal with. That said, if I thought I had an issue (and I went through this a few years ago), I self ground and go to the Dr. I do pay attention to treatment choices so as to not lose my privileges for no reason, but if the choice ever comes to be healthy or fly, I'm going with be healthy. My ethics would dictate that if self-interest did not. I have no right to knowingly endanger any one else.

John

Me, too. If I don't feel 100%, I stay on the ground.

However, the thought of a guy using a CPAP machine being a "danger" to someone whilst flying a Skyhawk is laughable. That same guy is next to you on the freeway at 70 mph every day.

3rd class medical reform can't happen soon enough.

I have no right to knowingly endanger any one else.

You do it every day in a multitude of actions.

Regulations on such actions are supposed to be based on factual evidence of a massive risk that is causing real significant damages worthy of the cost of said regulation.

But we are waaaay waaaaaaaay beyond that level of objective measurement in the debt-driven nanny state.

Probably a big reason behind the push to triage pilots at their AME visit.
Yup, I got caught up in the triage. Fat guy 50 or older tripped it. To be honest, I don't think it's a bad thing. If I do have OSA, I want to get it treated.

If you indeed have OSA & get a cpap device you won't believe the difference it makes in your life. I was in Law Enforcement when I got mine in 1998 working rotating shifts. After I got me cpap & told my cop buddies about it a bunch of them got one too.

When I have to spend a night without it I'm miserable the next day.

I didn't like wearing my CPAP when I first was diagnosed with OSA. After experiencing the benefits, I prefer using it. It's a game changer.

I have been using CPAP for the last 8 years. Went through the entire gambit to get my SI. Each year when I don't need to visit my AME for a physical, I get the compliance report and a letter from my CPAP Dr., and send it in about 3 months prior to expiration of my SI. I have never had the SI expire, but it usually takes about 9 weeks for the FAA to issue the new one. On the years I visit the AME, he issue the SI to me. I guess I could spend the $100 on the off years to have the AME issue it without a physical, but I am cheap!

Can't wait for the elimination of the Third Class Medical. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back