Cozumel routing

Dave Siciliano said:
Several folks on the Bonanza web board said they have had the same problem and do the same thing: just ask for the ID.

Superviser did say it seemed to be unusual routing. So, at least I know I'm not doin something wrong.

Best,

Dave

That's always the best choice. I'm not afraid to ask for spelling of intersections or VOR ID's.

Hope the rest of the trip goes OK.

bill

Look as if Mr. Dennis will pretty well leave us along. All we received yesterday was a little rain. Hope the folks along the Florida panhandle and inland from there don't get it too bad.

Looks like we may have some clouds and isolated convection areas tomorrow, but should be able to continue on.

Visited with family yesterday and did some Bass fishing on a private lake. The fish were very hungry!! We caught several three to five pound large mouths--then put 'em back in the lake. Winds got up too strong to enjoy being on the lake, so, we came in. Nieces did girl stuff with their Aunt. Manicure, pedicure, few other things.

Today, big birthday party for my nice Nichole who will be one year old. We'll try to get back in early tonight so we can get going early (for us) tomorrow.

We'll plan on flying to Key West, the north of Cuba to Cozumel. Our hotel there doesn't have internet connections; so, we may be out of touch unless we can find a connection.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave,

Is Key West even open? I thought they got a bit of storm damage.

Good luck and have a great trip...

Actually Bill, we don't plan to land at Key West, just fly over in the flight levels!! It's an hour and a half from here to Key West. Then, another two hours from Key West to Cozumel. Unless we get some ferocious winds, 3.5 from here and we have a six hour range in the Baron.

We'll check the weather in the morning and try to get in the air a little after 10:00 A.M. It's a little like herding cats to get everyone going the same direction in the morning, but we're all very motivated!!

Best,

Dave

Dave, fly well. I am most envious!

You will love Cozumel (if you've not been there before, otherwise you already know). So much less... frenzied... than CUN. I do hope that you can find some sort of 'net connection, as we'll all be waiting to hear lengthy and vvid details about the flight.

===

Tommy and I watched a show on Military Channel (Tommy's favorite satellite channel) about the helo war in Vietnam. One of these days, maybe you can share some about that with him? He has a lot of interest in history, a lot more than many 10 year olds I have seen, and I like encouraging the perspective that comes with knowledge.

Oops. Thread creep. Fly well, tell all.

Dave;

I am glad that Dennis left you alone. As we know these storms are so unpredictable. I spent the day on flight brief looking at the SA's RADAR and forcast and there was wind and rain bands but lucky the storm's impact was far to the west and north.

Have a real nice flight tomorrow and enjoy.

John J

SCCutler said:
Dave, fly well. I am most envious!

You will love Cozumel (if you've not been there before, otherwise you already know). So much less... frenzied... than CUN. I do hope that you can find some sort of 'net connection, as we'll all be waiting to hear lengthy and vvid details about the flight.

===

Tommy and I watched a show on Military Channel (Tommy's favorite satellite channel) about the helo war in Vietnam. One of these days, maybe you can share some about that with him? He has a lot of interest in history, a lot more than many 10 year olds I have seen, and I like encouraging the perspective that comes with knowledge.

Oops. Thread creep. Fly well, tell all.

Thanks Spike!! I've not been here. Been to Mexico several times, different places. Lance had some great tips on diving. Several others have mentioned things. We're doing the dolphin discovery for the girls. D|Shopping is a must and we may take the ferry over to Cancun for that. We'll see.

Helos and the Vietnam war were a long time ago, but perhaps we can chat 'bout it sometime.

Best,

Dave

John J said:
Dave;

I am glad that Dennis left you alone. As we know these storms are so unpredictable. I spent the day on flight brief looking at the SA's RADAR and forcast and there was wind and rain bands but lucky the storm's impact was far to the west and north.

Have a real nice flight tomorrow and enjoy.

John J

Thanks John. Getting up higher in this aircraft adds a lot of options. Of course, strong headwinds could force us lower. The girls are really excited. We'll try to take some video of the takeoffs and landings if possible. Some shots from the air.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Dave. Passport or certified birth certificate with picture ID. I have a passport as does my oldest niece; my younger nieces have the BS and ID. That's also what was needed to go to the Bahamas last year.

I found out that it is a coming requirement to return to the US and hasn't passed yet... they are thinking by 01/06.

How's the LaJolla trip coming? Best, Dave

on schedule, thanks for the tips.

Weather is a bit mixed for departure this morning. 700 foot ceilings at SFB (Sanford). Gets a lot better as we head south. Key West is seven miles vis and clear. I'll call FSS for a complete brief, but AOPA weather looked good. Couple of green and yellow specs on the radar on our route, but nothing substantial. Winds at 180 adn 240 look to be under 10 knots; so, we'll file at FL200 and adjust from there!!

Now we'll see if we can get everyone moving this morning. Getting everyone packed, to the airport (after breakfast) and then getting it all in the plane will be a challange. Things that must be pressurized in the cabin and the rest in the nose compartment.

Raft must be where we can reach it; eveyone will have a life vest and we'll talk through what we each should do if there's a possible water landing.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Well guys, I had misplaced my password. Several times I requested it be sent to me, but it never came. The administrators might take note, there is no way to e-mail anyone to let them know you can´t get on the board if you can´t log in. I tried to re-register and that kept bouncing be back also. Somehow I finally found a log in and password that worked.

Oh well.

Great trip from Sanford (Orlando area) to Cozumel on Monday!

Hurricane Dennis had blown through and we went right behind it. Smooth flying the entire trip.
I don´t have my notes with me, so I´ll generalize. When I taxied out for departure, the Tower controller asked if I was headed to Cozumel. When I said I was, he moved me in front of two other departures and asked an arrival to extend their base as I had a long trip ahead and he wanted to get me on my way!!

When tower turned me over to departure, she immediately began vectoring me directly southwest while providing a commentary on where the great places to go in Cozumel were and how great the diving is!! Began a climb to 14,000 and she turned me over to Center--who was extremely busy, but continued my climb to FL190 and cleared me direct to Maxim intersection -- about 70 miles west of Key West. About 50 miles from the intersection, Miami put me at FL220 and turned me over to Havana Center. That was a kick. The cleared me direct to an intersection near Cancun. Although Havana´s´s English was good, plane after plane checked in and asked for information to be repeated.

Havana turned me over to Mirada Approach and they brought me straight to the airport for a VOR/DME approach to runway 11. As I descended, I broke out at 2,800 feet, informed approach and got the visual (they had told be to be prepared to hold that I was number seven for the approach).

They aren´t used to GA folks just flying in here!! Took me a couple hours to get all the approvals required. Funny how much more quickly things moved after I paid a couple of fees!!

It´s great here!! Weather has been wonderful--few afternoon rain showers. We´ve snorkeled, swam with the Dolphins and sea lions, shopped and found some great places to eat. Next few days should be more of the same!!

Planning on heading to New Orleans on Monday. Should be able to get back on like from there and update a little more often.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Last edited:
Dave,

You going to be able to beat Hurricane Emily out of there? It's currently headed right your way for Sunday/Monday... then into south Texas....

great trip, nice trip reports.

bill

Dave

A very nice report on your run to Cozumel. As Bill says above Emily is making tracks to your location. Might want to head out early and get to safe haven.

John J

Yes, we are aware of Emily´s approach. They are boarding up our hotel and canceled our dive tomorrow as they are removing all the small boats from the water. Was supposed to take my niece out on a certification dive today, then do a reef dive tomorrow. Since we can´t go out tomorrow, we canceled the cert dive today. We´re in town picking up a few things we want to bring back, then, departing tomorrow or Sunday. When they pulled all the chairs away from the pool/beach, began boarding up the lower floors and were told the hotel would close Sunday, we decided to move on. We´ll probably go out for one last good diner tonight and plan on heading to New Orleans for a couple days. If the storm turns toward there, we´ll return to Dallas early.

Of course, hurricanes don´t normally occur this early. We´ll see how Expedia feels about a refund due to a hurricane. Their cancellation policy says once we check in, we pay whether we stay or not.

We´ve called ahead to customs to inquire about coming in Sunday if need be. Sounds as if it might actually be Saturday now. I´ll want to get to the airport early as processing doesn´t seem to go real quickly. The plane is fueled, so, all we should have to do is preflight, pack it up and get out. Pays to be flexible.

Lots of folks are pretty upset, many just arrived for a week trip and are having to leave in a day or two and while here, a lot of activities are shutting down.

This is sure one case where having your own plane really matters. I´m hearing lots of stories about airline connection issues. Seems last time this occurred here, a lot of folks missed the last ferry to Cancun where most of the flights depart.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Last edited:
Score 1 for GA.

I don't think the storm will head for NEW. It's headed my way instead (well, Brownsville, but we're on the "ugly" side of it in terms of wind and rain). A slight turn will have it headed my way directly.

I'll bet there are lots of folks that will end up riding it out 'cause they can't get a flight out. The airlines will pull their aircraft either Saturday or Sunday.

Sorry to hear about Emily messing with your dive plans... Dennis and Emily are two of the reasons we chose Cabo San Lucas last week over Cozumel/Playa del Carmen, which I much much prefer...

Dave... you fly home yet?

We're B--A--C--K!! What a great time we had.

The hotel management was very responsible; told us they would shut down on Sunday at 12:00. Were boarding up the lower windows, sandbagging around the small beach area and pulled all boats out of the water. We weren't able to go on a dive; it was scheduled for Saturday. Guess we'll pick a place for next year!!

What a great position to be in; airlines tied up, ferries busy everyone scurrying around. We just take a cab to our plane; pack it up; file the flight plan, clear customs and the commandant and off we go to New Orleans!!

The Baron performed flawlessly: not a squawk that affected flight!! What a kick to climb right up to FL200, get on top of all the little stuff there at the time, and come on in to Lakefront!!

Couple interesting things happened: one of the greatest (besides getting us safely home in air conditioned comfort) was being able to communicate with Houston Center before a lot of the jet traffic. It might just have been because we were enroute between the point of initial contact longer than some of them and before changing frequencies, but, time after time a jet would call in with a position report and Houston couldn't hear it. So, being the good citizens were are, we relayed position reports for a Lear Jet, American Airlines flight, two Champion flights and couple others I don't recall. The Champion guys and us had an open dialogue on the frequency when it was quiet. They were in a jet at FL350 about 50 miles behind me. Strong headwinds up there. They kept asking me about the Baron and were very nice to complement me several times on performance of the P-Baron when I relayed it!! Told me they would rather be flying my plane that theirs!! Sorry they felt that way and don't understand it, but it made it easier for me to pay for fuel when I landed!!

On board radar got me around several isolated thunderstorms; what a great capability to have on the plane. The strike finder was busy the entire flight. Since we were able to fly visually most of the time, it pointed out hot spots that we could normally see, we just didn't know how active the cell was.

Descending from FL200 was a real kick. Just left the power where it was and pointed the nose forward. Ground speeds were up over 225 knots several times!! Whoooo Haaa!! One great thing about the Baron v. the A-36 is the difference in where the yellow arc began on each. In the A-36, coming down, I had to slow the plane or I would get into the yellow arc pretty quickly!! The Baron eats it up!! I've descended over 1,000 fpm and stayed below the yellow arc. In the A-36, that would cause trouble unless I really reduced power!!

I'll post some more. Thanks for worrying about us. This was a great trip. I sure hope some of you get to do something like this in the future!!

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

(collective sigh of relief)

Well folks, the trip is almost done! Of course, the Mexican portion was done last weekend. Thursday, my nieces and I flew to south Texas and back to see family down there. Great trip with no problems.

Yesterday, we flew back to Wisconsin and I dropped the girls off. I'll fly back to Dallas today and that will end the summer trip with nieces. We are all tired and ready to get back to our routines. Played very hard, dodged two hurricanes, no problems with customs--even in light of the London bombings and increased security; plane performed flawlessly. Now, it's back home to a dirty house, dirty clothes and lots of bills ;-).

We're beginning our planning for next year!!

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Now, it's back home to a dirty house, dirty clothes and lots of bills ;-). We're beginning our planning for next year!!

How'd the house get dirty while you were gone?!

Where are you planning to go next year??

WELCOME HOME! Hope you get to post a few pictures for us later.

Got back to Dallas this evening. The flight back was a challenge: large scattered storm systems in western Wisconson/Illinois and down around Tulsa coming back. Boy, do radar and flying in the flight levels help. I was able to fly around almost all the large buildups. Did fly through a couple of tops and immediately got ice. Other than being a little bumpy, it was great. So, this officially ends the Summer trip with nieces.

We've talked about several things for next year, but I don't have any idea what we'll decide upon. Alaska sound great, but the girls really like the beach and warm water. We've talked about Hawaii, but a lot of the fun would be gone if we flew commercial. We've discussed flying the Baron to the West coast, stopping on the way and then going commercial. The Brittish Virgin Islands are another possibility. Guess we'll see. Let me know if anyong has suggestions.

We do have some pics that aren't too boring I'll try to get up here.
Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Couple of pics from our trip I hope you don't find too boring!!

The first is leaving the coast of Florida just south of Lakeland. I thought I would be going to Key West, then west on the airway. Just south of Lakeland, they cleared me direct to the Maxim intersection which is about 60 miles west of Key West.

The second pic is approaching the coast of Mexico.

The third is the view from the balcony in our hotel--Coral Princess on the sixth floor.

Dave

The first pic here is a pic of my three nieces at La Mission restaurant in Cozumel. Great food in a nice environment.

The second is our front of the market area in Cozumel after a long day of shopping.

The last is the making of Bannas Flambe in Pepee's Restaurant (we went back!!). This restaurant had a lot of flaming delights in addition to great food!!

Dave;

The pics are never boring. So glad you had a great time and I just want to say thank you for sharing your adventures with all of us.Your write up made me feel I was riding along. What an experience for your nieces and yourself to fly such a great trip in your own plane. It is GA at its best. :)

I vote for the Caribbean Islands but not during Hurricane season. Alaska calls though in the summer. So many places to go and see in that capable plane.

Thanks again

John

Great photos, Dave. Never boring.

Thanks John and Carol!!

Hope to link up with you soon. Wish I hadn't misplaced the power cord from my laptop. could have bored everyone with a few more posts.

I don't think the girls have any idea what little princesses they're treated like on these trips!! How many folks in the world even have the opportunity to get in their own plane (or to rent one) and point it in any direction they desire!!

Now it's back to work to save up for next year!!

Dave

Back