Cozumel routing

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Planning a trip from New Orleans (Lakefront) to Cozumel, then to Key West in July. In looking at the DOD charts, I have a couple of questions. Can anyone suggest a resource to get answers?

A626 goes from Leesville (south of New Orleans) to Cozumel. (FSS refers to this as Amber 626) As one passes SWORD intersection there is a note on the chart as follows:

ALTIMETER SETTING WITHIN MERIDA ACC QNE ABV 2000' OVER OCEANIC AREAS MORE THAN 100 NM FROM COAST QNH AT OR BLW 18000' OVER LAND AND COASTAL AREAS.

Anyone know what QNE and QNH are?
---------------------------------------------------
There are two possible short routes from Cozumel to Key West (KEYW). G765 is direct, but passes through the inner ADIZ of CUBA. Miami FSS said it's not a problem. A second route goes a little farther north of Cuba. Still passes through the ADIZ but not the inner one.

Is it safe to take G765?

Don't want any problems or issues on this flight; so, a source to clear things up would be great. AOPA hasn't been real clear or helpful.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Planning a trip from New Orleans (Lakefront) to Cozumel, then to Key West in July. In looking at the DOD charts, I have a couple of questions. Can anyone suggest a resource to get answers?

A626 goes from Leesville (south of New Orleans) to Cozumel. (FSS refers to this as Amber 626) As one passes SWORD intersection there is a note on the chart as follows:

ALTIMETER SETTING WITHIN MERIDA ACC QNE ABV 2000' OVER OCEANIC AREAS MORE THAN 100 NM FROM COAST QNH AT OR BLW 18000' OVER LAND AND COASTAL AREAS.
---------------------------------------------------
There are two possible short routes from Cozumel to Key West (KEYW). G765 is direct, but passes through the inner ADIZ of CUBA. Miami FSS said it's not a problem. A second route goes a little farther north of Cuba. Still passes through the ADIZ but not the inner one.

Don't want any problems or issues on this flight; so, a source to clear things up would be great. AOPA hasn't been real clear or helpful.

Best,

Dave

I don't know how it is anymore, but when I used to fly from Key West to the Cayman Islands, I used to fly right over Cuba, no problems. They were quite accomodating with direct vectors most of the time.

Dave Siciliano said:

I think its similar to the US altimeter setting

QNH: the msl pressure derived from the barometric pressure at the station location by calculating the weight of an imaginary air column, extending from the location to sea level, assuming the temperature at the location is the ISA temperature for that elevation, the temperature lapse rate is ISA and the air is dry throughout the the column.

The Australian aviation regulations state that when an 'accurate' QNH is set on the pressure-setting scale at an airfield, the altimeter indication should read within 100 feet of the published airfield elevation, or 110 feet if elevation exceeds 3300 feet; otherwise the altimeter should be considered unserviceable. However due to the inherent inaccuracy possible in QNH, this may not be so. The difference between QFF and QNH when calculated on a hot day at a high airfield in Australia can be as much as 4 hPa, equivalent to about 120 feet. The advantage to aviation in using the less realistic QNH is that all aircraft altimeters in the area will be out by about the same amount, and thus maintain height interval separation.

The Local QNH at an airfield is normally derived from an actual pressure reading, but the Area QNH used outside the airfield zone is a forecast value, valid for three hours, and may vary by up to 5 hPa from any Local QNH in the same area. Either Local QNH or Area QNH may be set on the altimeter pressure-setting scale of all aircraft cruising in the Altimeter Setting Region; which extends from the surface to the (Australian) Transition Altitude of 10 000 feet. The cruising levels within the Altimeter Setting Region are prefixed by 'A' e.g. A065 = 6500 feet amsl.

When there is no official Local QNH available at an airfield, and the site elevation is known, the Local QNH can be derived by setting the subscale (when the aircraft is on the ground of course) so that the altimeter indicates the known airfield elevation. The use of Local QNH is important when conducting operations at an airfield as the circuit and approach pattern is based on determining height above ground level [agl].

Note that it is not mandatory for VFR aircraft to use the area QNH whilst enroute. You may substitute the current local QNH of any aerodrome within 100 nm of the aircraft or the local QNH at the departure airfield. See 'Acquiring weather and QNH information in-flight'.

The purpose of the transition layer is to maintain a separation zone between the aircraft using QNH and those using standard pressure. If Area QNH was 1030 hPa there would be about 500 feet difference displayed between setting that value and setting standard pressure. The transition layer extends from the Transition Altitude to the Transition Level which is usually at FL110 but it may extend to FL125 – depending on mean sea level pressure.

QNE: is the ISA Standard Pressure altimeter setting of 1013.2 hPa. The term QNE is now rarely encountered but if you set 1013.2 on the altimeter pressure-setting scale while parked the altimeter will indicate the current ISA pressure altitude of the airfield – which is the first step in calculating density altitude. QNE is also the standard factory setting for altitude encoding.

Dave Siciliano said:

QNH is what you and I are familiar hearing as altimeter setting.
QNE is 29.92.

I would provide an AIM, Aviation Weather Services, etc. reference but I'm still a long ways from my library.

Thanks! That's very detailed stuff.

Had an interesting chat with a fellow that over flies Cuba frequenty. Talked to Miami FSS and FSS out of New Orleans yesterday and read the AOPA material on this. Seems we can't pay Cuba anything; so, they tend to send a bill from somewhere else. The fella I chatted with said he got a bill from Jamaca; although, he never spoke with them. Thinks he's probably on their wanted list because he never paid it. :p

FSS said the routes I plan on flying are fine. I will check with Miami Center also. I do have to obtain prior permission to fly into Cuba's airspace which can be arranged from Cozumel via fax or have controller call. I'll get the details from Miami Center or call Cozumel and see how they arrange this. If it get too difficult, there is an intersection I can fly to farther north, then to east to Key West.

Dave

Got the upcoming trip planning done: Here's the route.

Addison (ADS), Texas direct C47 (Portage Wisconsin) 723 NM
spend the night and pick up nieces!!

C47 to CSV (Crossville, TN then SFB (Sanford) Florida 971 NM
Lunch and fuel at Crossville; couple days with family in Florida

SFB to MMCZ (Cozumel, Mexico). Actually we'll route to Key west then north of Cuba over the Gulf to Mexico. 645NM
A week in cozumel.

MMCZ (Cozumel) to New Orleans Lake Front (KNEW). 600NM mostly over water.
Couple days in the French Quarter.

KNEW to Dallas Addison. 390 NM
Will stay at the house a day or two.

Short day trip to south Texas and back to visit family 600 NM

KADS to C-47 723 NM to bring nieces home.
C-47 KADS to return home.

Preliminarily appears to be about 5,400 NM.

Got the customs sticker for the plane.
Also the radio station license and plane registration.
Normally do IFR flight plans; so, nothing exceptional here for leaving the country.
Girls have birth certificates with picture IDs or passport; note from parents allowing trip and medical treatment if they can't be reached.
IFR enroute charts for trip route: DOD and Jepp for Mexico.
Insurance policy specifically stating coverage in Mexico.
Got the raft and survival gear in the plane. Back up GPS and hand held radio
New Orleans, Lake Front is a designated customs entry point; so, we'll fly directly there.

All this stuff in addition to having the aircraft ready to go and all the reservations for hotels, rental cars, etc. has been pretty daunting. We did it last year to the Bahamas; so, it's not new.

Anyway, it looks like quite a trip. We'll try to keep y'all posted when we can. Our hotel in Cozumel doesn't have internet connections; so, we may be incommunicado for awhile!!

Leaving on the 7th for Portage.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Got the upcoming trip planning done: Here's the route.

Addison (ADS), Texas direct C47 (Portage Wisconsin) 723 NM
spend the night and pick up nieces!!

Will you adopt me? ;)

Sounds like a great trip. Y'all have fun and fly safe.

may the mechanical-issues gods be on your side for at least the next 5500nm.
I enjoyed your write up on the new plane Dave.

Dave, best wishes for your trip. It looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure you have planned well for the flight.

Is there a compelling reason why you chose to leave out of FLA which gives you the longest overwater route? That plus you're in a plane which is new to you is a concern to me.

I realize much of that concern is the result of me overlaying my personal comfort level on to your planning...just wondering.

Carol said:
Will you adopt me? ;)

Sounds like a great trip. Y'all have fun and fly safe.
========================================================

Don't think I could work that out Carol, but would love to meet you :rolleyes:

Dave

Let'sgoflying! said:
may the mechanical-issues gods be on your side for at least the next 5500nm.
I enjoyed your write up on the new plane Dave.

Thanks Dave. Sure wish I could have made Gaston's!! Did get a pencil from Spike last night at my hanger party!! He related a lot of interesting stories and told me how much he enjoyed that group of folks!!

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
========================================================

Don't think I could work that out Carol, but would love to meet you :rolleyes:

Dave

Just kidding about the adoption ;)

Richard said:
Dave, best wishes for your trip. It looks like a lot of fun and I'm sure you have planned well for the flight.

Is there a compelling reason why you chose to leave out of FLA which gives you the longest overwater route? That plus you're in a plane which is new to you is a concern to me.

I realize much of that concern is the result of me overlaying my personal comfort level on to your planning...just wondering.

Thanks for your concern Richard. I don't know how compelling the Florida routing is, but I'll be in Orlando when we depart for Cozumel. Best route appeared to be Key West and turn right!! There is an over water portion of the route on the west side of Florida as I head to Key West; then, southwest to Cozumel puts me close to Cuba for a portion of the over water leg.

I'll probably fly this in the flight levels. If something does go terribly wrong, whoever I can raise on the radio will be tired of hearing from me before we get near any water. :p

This plane is new to me, however, the ground school and ten hours of dual were helpful and I have a lot of time in Beechcraft. Interesting how much the basic systems are the same. In an actual emergency, the systems upon which I would rely are quite familiar. I actually worry more about takeoff and landing than the long over water portion of the flight above FL 180. By the time I fly the leg to Mexico, I'll have another 12 to 15 hours experience with this actual plane. In the past, I haven't pushed things if the weather is poor or the plane has problems as we're on vacation: we can have a lot of fun staying another day where ever we are if need be!!

I'll try to get a little time in the plane today and have scheduled another flight Wednesday with a different instructor (BPPP guy) to have him evaluate me and point out anything he thinks is unsafe or can be improved.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks for your concern Richard. I don't know how compelling the Florida routing is, but I'll be in Orlando when we depart for Cozumel. Best route appeared to be Key West and turn right!! There is an over water portion of the route on the west side of Florida as I head to Key West; then, southwest to Cozumel puts me close to Cuba for a portion of the over water leg.
Dave, doing the one engine limp, can you limp from Key west to a non -Cuban land base (fuel range on one blower?).

Bruce:

It seems I can, but I haven't checked in the detailed manner which I would like at this point. Thanks for raising the issue.

What I have done is this: if you look at the AOPA planner and put in Key West and Cozumel for departure and arrival, you'll see a good part of the flight is just north of Cuba and worst case, I could turn south. I haven't really computed the go/no go point for a turn around v. continue on to Cozumel, but will before the flight. What I had intended to do in this wonderful world of GPS is to check ETE to one vs, the other in the air (keep one gps on Key West and one on Cozumel). That will provide ETE either direction; I'd just need to adjust for winds. As I get a little more time to plan this; I'll establish a go/no go point along the route (actually three--one approximately mid way to Cozumel, one between Key West and Cuba, and one between Cuba and Cozumel.) Initially, I can turn back to Key West. As I proceed southwest, the decision will become Key West or Cuba; later, Cuba or Cozumel. Cuba, of course, would only be considered if I couldn't make one of the other destinations.

I'll look at the single engine perfomance charts again, but, IIRC I can run on one engine at 12,000 feet on just over 20 gph. Fuel shouldn't become an issue unless I can't transfer it between tanks (crossfeed), can't feather one, or encounter a fuel issue of one sort---of course, assuming it's not contamination and the other engine performs at book.

But, since you mention it and knowing how you do things, I'll look again run the numbers.

BTW, I've flown long distance over water, mountains etc. in a single; so, the over water leg feels a little safer to me being in the twin and in the flight levels. Of course, strong hearwinds could force me lower. If the winds do look strongly against my planned route, I can stop in Key West and fill 'em up to increase my endurance.

Please pass on any other thoughts you have. Much as I'm O.K. with this, I'd never forgive myself if I overlooked something big and one of my nieces got hurt (or worse).

I really like the fact that I'll have flown two very long flight segments before the over water one. Should have an excellent feel for how the plane's performing before the over water leg.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Planning on leaving on the first leg of the trip tomorrow morning. This is the leg from Addison, Texas (ADS) to Portage, Wisconsin (C-47).

Flying with a Bonanza Proficiency Pilot instructor at 4:00 for a final tune up. Weather looks fine. Will try to check in when I can get an internet connection and some time.

Best,

Dave
N2024Q

Dave;

Have a wonderful trip. It sounds so great and I will be looking forward to hearing about it.

Enjoy

John J

Finished the first leg of our trip today. Took four hours to fly from Dallas (Addison) to Portage, Wisconsin (C47). The plane was very stable, the AC was great and I posted some of the engine settings and fuel burns in P-Baron thoughts.

Late yestereday, I couldn't find my niece's certified birth certificate. I went through all our files and just couldn't put my fingers on it!! Nuts!! It's pretty clear she will need this to get into Mexico.

So, called the county where she was born (Orange County--Orlando). They would requre court papers showing guardianship and a permission letter to issue a certified copy. That'd be real difficult to do before our scheduled departure date; tormmorrow is the only business day before we are scheduled to depart.

Called my sister-in-law to see if she had a another certified copy only to find out she didn't know and couldn't check untill she got off work today.

So, we decided I should fly up and we would take it from there.

Flight was great. Left Dallas about 11:00 in rain with large storms to the west. Since I was headed Northeast, I missed the biggest systems and was cleared up to FL190 fairly quickly. The plane trued out at about 204 knots!!

Got to Portage in four hours (had about a 10 knot head wind on the way up).

Now we are following Hurracane Dennis closely to see if Orlando is still an option tomorrow. We have a hanger reserved, but hate to fly right into the path of that monster. Looks like we'll get in before it, but hate to do that if it hits the mainland hard. The Weather Channel is currently predicting it will stay west of the mainland. We'll check in the morning and propably stop on the way to check before proceeding.

Best,

Dave
Baron 322KS

Last edited:
Dave Siciliano said:
Bruce:
snip

BTW, I've flown long distance over water, mountains etc. in a single; so, the over water leg feels a little safer to me being in the twin and in the flight levels. Of course, strong hearwinds could force me lower. If the winds do look strongly against my planned route, I can stop in Key West and fill 'em up to increase my endurance.

snip

Dave-

Save your self time and money and stop at Marathon (KMTH) instead of Key West- minimal difference in location at your speeds, and you save yourself (as best I can tell now) $1.28/gallon or so. Besides, Marathon is a much easier airport to deal with, and they're nice there (I rented from Paradise once).

Just reading about your trip makes me envy-boy. Have fun, take lots of pics, dive the wall. You'll have a blast.

What lucky nieces you have! Need any old, plump nephews?

Thanks for the tip Spike. Actually, don't stop at Key West. I fly from Sanford down to Key West on the airways and turn right--at FL200 if the winds allow. I might have to stop and top off if there are strong winds out of the west. Now, looking at Dennis coming in, we're rethinking the Florida trip. Family down there will be real disappointed, but why would we actually position ourselves in front of this monster when everyone else is trying to get away?

Oh well, we'll look in the morning and make a decision.

Best,

Dave

Don't you need passports to cross to and fro anymore? If you have that do you need the Birth Certificate?

Dave Siciliano said:
Thanks for the tip Spike. Actually, don't stop at Key West....

Ooooo, you gotta stop at Key West! Farthest south airport, don'tchaknow.

Let'sgoflying! said:
Don't you need passports to cross to and fro anymore? If you have that do you need the Birth Certificate?

Hey Dave. Passport or certified birth certificate with picture ID. I have a passport as does my oldest niece; my younger nieces have the BS and ID. That's also what was needed to go to the Bahamas last year.

How's the LaJolla trip coming?

Best,

Dave

Well Carol, we'd really like to. We may not have time. Just trying to do an awful lot in two weeks.
The Weather Channel is saying Key West airport may be closing. Showed pics of folks waiting 30 minutes for gas. Right now, they are predicting Dennis will stay in the gulf. We thought of going to New Orleans instead and coming back through Florida after Mexico. NEW is currently showing low ceilings and rain!! So, we may just fly to Crossville TN and check weather from there. No problem getting to Orlando now, just don't want to fly there and have Dennis turn inland!! We do have a harnger these, but why get in front of this thing. Oh well!!

Dave

Well, Dave, it's looking ugly.

A friend of mine in New Orleans says they're talking about possibly evacuating if the storm gets close. It'll be short notice, though, as the storm track looks like it'll hit Mobile/Pensacola area (again).

Orlando may well fare OK, Key West will probably get it today/tomorrow.

I understand passports are not yet required, but will be required shortly. Not to go to the foreign courntry, but to return to the US. I think that program starts this fall sometime, but I may have the timing wrong.

Best.

Bill

Dave;

Looks like Dennis is gong to brush KeyWest late tonight/ early am. The track on flight brief is still showing it heading toward the very west Florida Panhandle/ Eastern Alabama. Might want to stay east and hug the East
Coast toward MCO. Lots of airports togo to on the way if need to hide from Dennis. You have such a nice plane which gives you so many options flying around large systems.

Looking foward to hearing about your routing.

Best and good luck

John J

We flew direct from Portage Wisconsin to SFB (orlando) non-stop in five hours. Great trip. Filed at FL190 and got almost a continuous climb from Portage. Couple vectors for traffic then cleared direct Crossville TN where we had planned to stop.

As we were climbing at 140 indicated, ground speeds got up to 180. Just as we got to 190 we flew over ORD. Got a pic!! Just off to our left.

the mixtures back to 15gph. Trued out at 190 and ground speed was 230. Just kept on goin until we neared Crossville way ahead of schedule. Called ahead for weather, then, changed the destination to SFB. We landed here with an hour of fuel remaining!!

Even Hotlanta Center let me go direct. It wasn't until Jacksonville Center got me that they changed the routing for the arrival to SFB. That was interesting because they cleared me direct VOR to VOR and the VORs they gave me weren't all on the High Altutude chart. I called back and told them that; they were really busy. They gave me the identifier for the first; I flipped to the STAR for SFB and got the rest of what I needed. Sure didn't seem right to me. Had he just given me the STAR I would have flown almost the exact routing and would have saved some grief.

Anyway, we're here in Orlando visiting family and watching the path of Dennis. We'll see how things go.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
Dave;

Great flight. I do enjoy reading about your trip and how the sytem is working or not working. Looks like Dennis is still heading NW at 0900 EDT. A great day to visit family and keep the plane in the hanger while Dennis churns up the Gulf.

Thanks for the up date

John J

Last edited:
Hey Bill:

We're planning on flying to New Orleans after Mexico. For some reason, it was pretty booked when we made hotel and car reservations at NEW. Any suggestions for places to see or eat while we're there? Hopefully, Dennis won't wipe things out badly.

Best,

Dave

The clearance I received from Jacksonville center yesterday is still bothering me. While, I was able to work through it, can anyone coach me a little?

I was at FL 190 headed south from Atlanta cleared direct to SFB (Sanford, FL) when JaX Center made the call "2KS we have amended clearance". I advised I was ready to copy and they said," N322KS is cleared to SFB via Way Cross; Taylor; Ocala V159 Leese Direct". I repeated what he gave me and accepted it. (These were mostly VORs and I generally was familiar with them.) I had also look at the STARs into SFB and there was one generally along this routing, but not exactly.) Sorry, I don't have the Florida approach plates here--they're out in the plane, but it's the Leese something.

Waycross is not on the high altitude enroute charts--so how could he give me that? Taylor was but Ocala was not. V159 of course is not; nor was Leese intersection. On the STAR, V159 wasn't shown--why didn't he just give me the Star?? I did have Florida low altitude enroute charts but don't carry low altitude charts for everywhere I go in the flight levels. What's up?

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Bill:

We're planning on flying to New Orleans after Mexico. For some reason, it was pretty booked when we made hotel and car reservations at NEW. Any suggestions for places to see or eat while we're there? Hopefully, Dennis won't wipe things out badly.

Best,

Dave

Felix's was recommended to me by a colleague who went to school in New Orleans. Mainly locals there when I went. It's been a long time so I can't say how it is now.

Thanks Carol: I'll try to clear that with my nieces and see where we get ;-). I will have some say on things--on occassion---I think!!

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Hey Bill:

Best,

Dave

Well, you must see Bourbon Street & the French Quarter. Take in a little Jazz. For the old stuff, go to Preservation Hall.

There are a lot of antique galleries along Royal Street. I was in one last year, and was within an arms length of an original Renoir.

The French Market is worth a stroll, a giant flea market of sorts.

There is some interesting stuff out in the bayous. I don't recall the name of it, but there is a old plantation that's open for tours. It's worth the trip.

Food... you're in food mecca. Commander's Palace is well known, Brennan's also, Redfish Grill is good, Broussard's is good, Bruning's on Lake Ponchetrain, Court of the Two Sister's (French QUarter) is a bit more casual, Emeril's is famous, same with Paul Prudhomme's place, NOLA is a bit more casual than Emeril's but features the same style of cooking... and about a million other places that are good. Note that some of these require jacket/tie in the evenings. There are plenty of casual places, but the nicer upscale places want coat/tie. You won't want to wear coat/tie during the day - way too hot.

bill

Some thoughts:

Unless you were planning on staying on the ground for a few days (allowing wx to clear out) why would you want to position yourself east of passing hurricane, as suggested by John Joplin?

I have never used a hi alt chart but I wonder if the VORs and the V airways not shown on the hi alt are on the lo alt chart. It seems like any en route fix or aid would be. Perhaps the controller was too stressed out to think of the parallels 'tween the amended clearance and the STAR. Were you able to suggest the STAR? Maybe he thought he saw No STAR in the remarks of your filing. It seems like a ASRS report would help to clear up any confusion or at least point out a potential problem.

Dave:

Were you filed /G? If so, he may well have thought you have the VORs... or a good proxy in the GPS.

As for the arrival, was the arrival for turbine only? There's enough "special cases" where a different procedure is negotiated between facilities for piston arrivals.

wsuffa said:
Dave:

Were you filed /G? If so, he may well have thought you have the VORs... or a good proxy in the GPS.

As for the arrival, was the arrival for turbine only? There's enough "special cases" where a different procedure is negotiated between facilities for piston arrivals.

Bill:

I called Jax Center today and discussed it with them. The supervisor agreed that I should have been given VORs on the high altitude chart and the Leese One arrival. The had an extraordinary amount of traffic yesterday with folks tryin to get out of here. He explained there was also some weather they were trying to get us around. He said they knew I wouldn't (or might not) have the VORs and that I should just ask for the identifier. Told him the controller was really busy and I hated to do that. Supervisor said to just go ahead and they would understand. I did have low altitude charts for this area, but don't always when flying high.

Several folks on the Bonanza web board said they have had the same problem and do the same thing: just ask for the ID.

Superviser did say it seemed to be unusual routing. So, at least I know I'm not doin something wrong.

Best,

Dave

Richard said:
Some thoughts:

Unless you were planning on staying on the ground for a few days (allowing wx to clear out) why would you want to position yourself east of passing hurricane, as suggested by John Joplin?

I have never used a hi alt chart but I wonder if the VORs and the V airways not shown on the hi alt are on the lo alt chart. It seems like any en route fix or aid would be. Perhaps the controller was too stressed out to think of the parallels 'tween the amended clearance and the STAR. Were you able to suggest the STAR? Maybe he thought he saw No STAR in the remarks of your filing. It seems like a ASRS report would help to clear up any confusion or at least point out a potential problem.

Richard:

We did watch Dennis' progress pretty closely and had a hanger for the plane. Looks like it will work out very nicely. Seems to be passing well west of us and we should be able to depart Monday morning without any problem. Had we gone to New Orleans instead, it would be coming directly at us now. Some guess work as one is never sure of direction, but this worked out well.

The VORs on the high altitude and low altitude charts are not the same. Some are colocated, many are not. In this case, two of the VORs Jax Center provided were not on either the High altitude charts or the Leese One arrival.

Best,

Dave'
Baron 322KS

Back