Cox email moving to Yahoo?

Bell206

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Bell206
Anybody heard why Cox is transitioning their email service to Yahoo? I had dropped Yahoo years ago for performance issues and while I've slowly been switching to Gmail since I retired for some accounts, my cox.net accounts were still my main usage for important stuff.

They state I will keep my same addresses, however, I'm wondering if I should complete the switch to all Gmail?

I don't like gmail that much. Years ago when I realized my company was getting to the point where I should separate my personal and business emails, and we were having fun with our ISP for my wife's account (she had a BellAtlantic.net address which they forgot to renew the domain when they switched to Verizon). I grabbed a couple of domains (ronnatalie.com and margynatalie.com) and pointed the MX records at an independent provider. Our email addresses haven't changed now in a long time. The original mail provider when out of business so I switched to FastMail which I like very much now.

Also at the time we had lousy cell phone service at both our houses and Margy worked in the basement of the museum and we were often on the road so I grabbed a virtual number 877RONMARG which had the options to reach either Margy or me or both by ringing our cell phones, my onstar phone in the car, our office phone, and the land lines at both houses.

The only goofy time was that MARG is the same button combination as NASH. This caused issues when some Nashville relief telethon inadvertantly gave out our number rather than theirs (888 not 877 or something). I just changed the outgoing message to redirect them and shutdown the forwarding. The other oddity is that 800 RON NASH belongs to some RV dealer and occassionally people call looking for him.

Hi Management, I don't want to worry you however a thread has appeared from sometime round about 1998! Perhaps you have a virus or hacker?

1711201408100.png

Perhaps you have a virus or hacker?
At first I thought maybe. But a quick check and it appears its been in the works for sometime. Just curious as to why. Regardless, I think I'll just finish moving to Gmail now instead of waiting till I hit 65.

Why? Gotta be cost savings for them.
Frontier just did the same thing earlier this week to their customers.

Pro tip, log into your account and make sure you setup recovery phone numbers and other email addresses for the account.

Anybody heard why Cox is transitioning their email service to Yahoo? I had dropped Yahoo years ago for performance issues and while I've slowly been switching to Gmail since I retired for some accounts, my cox.net accounts were still my main usage for important stuff.

They state I will keep my same addresses, however, I'm wondering if I should complete the switch to all Gmail?
We got the same notice too, and while technically I do have a cox.net email address, I haven't ever used it. I made the switch to a non-ISP email address about 15 years ago (my choice was Gmail) and it's by far a superior way to go. You won't have to bother with changing email addresses if you move or get a new ISP, or they do stuff like this.

My parents also got the same notice, and they do NOT have a non-ISP email address. So they looked into it, and as far as we can tell, the Cox.net address remains, it's just being serviced by Yahoo. So they decided to just stay with it.

fwiw - look at the privacy terms with gmail. Some are ok with those terms, others not so much.

The funny thing is, free email seems to evade the "you get what you pay for" principle.

I was one of the first five hundred people to sign up for a Hotmail account, prior to when MS bought them. This was before Gmail. This was before Yahoo mail. This was before two previous company email accounts that went by the wayside. I still use it as my primary email account. I have a Gmail and Yahoo backup.

I can't count how many people have used their ISP email accounts only to change them when they changed services or their ISP went bust or got bought out.

Back