Cowling paint protection near exhaust

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I painted (well a professionalisms did anyway) my bottom cowling on the Dakota last year. I am starting to see very minor discoloration (more of an oily sheen really) that appears set in the paint. What are people doing to protect the paint in the high heat areas? Some sort of ceramic coating? It is very minor right now but it was painted because the paint was peeling off right behind the exhaust after years of flying.

The area is red so any stains or discoloration show up a lot more than that would if they were white.

Maybe a thin sheet of soft stainless steel in the stain prone area riveted or screwed on top. If there is a compound curve involved it may take a bit of forming with auto body tools.

I am starting to see very minor discoloration (more of an oily sheen really)
doing to protect the paint in the high heat areas?
FYI: need to determine if the discoloration is chemically caused or heat caused, or both, as each needs a different approach. There are various options that might work.

I am guessing it is heat.
Simply guessing could mean the difference of $100+ in preventing the discoloration. Tackle the "oily sheen" you mention first. Keep the area clean for an extended period and see if it gets worse. FYI: Most modern paint coatings have a max service temp continuous rating around 200-250 deg with an intermittent rating as high as 350.

What material is the lower cowling made of? Aluminum, or fiberglass?

Back