Cow Fart Explosion, Film at 11

one heck of a blue flame

Having spent my youth working on a dairy farm I actually can believe it. Those dairy cows produce an unbelievable amount of cement like poo and farts.

Methane and N2O emitted by production agriculture are leading causes of global warming (assuming for a moment that it exists).

I tried to look up the origin of the story on german language sites, everyone seems to refer back to the same source article. Lower explosive limit for Methane is 5%, conceivable that this could be reached in in the immediate vicinity of some cows (probably not in the entire stable).

"Embarrassed, the cows refused to comment but did say they may have to moooooooove."

Love it. :D

Lower explosive limit for Methane is 5%, conceivable that this could be reached in in the immediate vicinity of some cows (probably not in the entire stable).

Methane is lighter than air. It must have accumulated under the ceiling.

Many years ago I worked around semiconductor fab lines. They used lots of hydrogen, which is very difficult to contain because of the small molecule size. Some of the places actually had pilot lights up by the ceiling to preemptively ignite small collections of hydrogen before they got big enough to be a danger.

Some of the places actually had pilot lights up by the ceiling to preemptively ignite small collections of hydrogen before they got big enough to be a danger.
They do something similar around hydrogen-fueled rockets, too. And that is despite the hydrogen being lighter than air.

I don't know why, but "Cow Fart Explosion" seems like a good name for a band.

I've always been told that with enough horse power, you could make a barn door fly. I guess this proves that with enough cow power, you can make a barn roof fly.

I'm calling BS. ;)

me too, We kept 120 head staked up in our barn all winter and never smelled any thing but Sh-t. and never had any problems with exploding methane, the barn was tight and warmed by the milk cows in it.

Back