COVID saliva testing

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I recently did a COVID test using saliva, you spit into a test tube kinda thing that already has a pink solution in it and a mark that denotes how much saliva they need to test.

Lot less intrusive than poking a pipe cleaner up your brain.

The test was done Tuesday late night, got the results Thursday mid afternoon. Result was negative.

I didn’t know saliva testing is an option out here at least, if anyone is thinking of getting tested, just putting it out there that you do not have to shove anything anywhere, if saliva test is an option wherever you are.

It’s been mentioned in the other testing threads.

Generally higher false positive rate and then requires multiple tests to get a feel for if the first one was accurate.

At least that’s how to handle the math problem a higher false positive rate introduces...

The consensus basically was:

- Useful for quick screening for those who must.
- Can cause other life problems for those who have no need.
- Where one draws the “must” line is up for debate - elsewhere. That conversation would be torpedoed here in no time.
- Probably going to be places and companies who force their use for liability reasons. Better false positives than nothing.

For fun someone mentioned Elon Musk’s four tests in one day that split evenly between positive and negative. I have no comment on that other than to find it amusing.

People think “medical test” means “accurate. I got over that delusion a long time ago, personally. Just raises the odds by the accuracy numbers of the particular test.

Also personal opinion: Most of these tests seem “good enough” for most purposes they’re being used for. Nothing’s perfect. If ya want a test, have a test. If ya don’t, that’s fine too unless someone is making you.

Whether someone can make you will be fodder for court cases that’ll last longer than the virus. LOL. Not going there.

I got tested on my will, my CFII was in contact with someone who got tested positive, so I am like what the heck I will get tested and was fully planning to getting a pipe cleaner shoved in, so I was delighted to find an alternative.

Don’t know if it’s false negative or not, for now I am staying far far away from the flight school and I hear ND is number one right now .... well got to see we are no 1 at something lol.

I am in the high risk population and I am close to someone who is super high risk. I ain’t taking chances .... hopefully the vaccine pans out

I got tested on my will, my CFII was in contact with someone who got tested positive, so I am like what the heck I will get tested and was fully planning to getting a pipe cleaner shoved in, so I was delighted to find an alternative.

Don’t know if it’s false negative or not, for now I am staying far far away from the flight school and I hear ND is number one right now .... well got to see we are no 1 at something lol.

I am in the high risk population and I am close to someone who is super high risk. I ain’t taking chances .... hopefully the vaccine pans out
Too bad you couldn't take the Lucira test.
https://medcitynews.com/2020/11/lucira-covid-19-test-is-first-to-get-fda-nod-for-home-use/

It’s been mentioned in the other testing threads.

Generally higher false positive rate and then requires multiple tests to get a feel for if the first one was accurate.

At least that’s how to handle the math problem a higher false positive rate introduces...

The consensus basically was:

- Useful for quick screening for those who must.
- Can cause other life problems for those who have no need.
- Where one draws the “must” line is up for debate - elsewhere. That conversation would be torpedoed here in no time.
- Probably going to be places and companies who force their use for liability reasons. Better false positives than nothing.

For fun someone mentioned Elon Musk’s four tests in one day that split evenly between positive and negative. I have no comment on that other than to find it amusing.

People think “medical test” means “accurate. I got over that delusion a long time ago, personally. Just raises the odds by the accuracy numbers of the particular test.

Also personal opinion: Most of these tests seem “good enough” for most purposes they’re being used for. Nothing’s perfect. If ya want a test, have a test. If ya don’t, that’s fine too unless someone is making you.

Whether someone can make you will be fodder for court cases that’ll last longer than the virus. LOL. Not going there.
Can't be too safe, Nate.

I was in a experimental program run by the USAF to evaluate to different saliva tests. No clue how it turned out but I was surprised how long it takes for me to come up with the required few CC’s of spit:D

Cheers

My kids have had to be tested several times....our school was (until this week) doing normal schedule, so any time anyone got the sniffles, they all had to have a negative test before they could go back. They never got the long swab up the sinus routine, it was always just a swipe inside the nostril with a q-tip. No big deal. I think the long swab thing was short lived early on.

My kids have had to be tested several times....our school was (until this week) doing normal schedule, so any time anyone got the sniffles, they all had to have a negative test before they could go back. They never got the long swab up the sinus routine, it was always just a swipe inside the nostril with a q-tip. No big deal. I think the long swab thing was short lived early on.

I’ve been getting tested every week since basically April from my university. I’ve gotten the long swab maybe the first month but they quickly got approval for short swabs of both nostrils. It’s really a non-issue. I did the longer swab maybe 5 times total and at first it was unpleasant a bit but you got used to it. Honestly within five minutes the discomfort was gone. People make it out to be worse than it is.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back