Covid-19 Prevention and Treatment

Palmpilot

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Richard Palm
Regeneron’s antibody cocktail is effective in preventing Covid infection, study shows
  • Regeneron Pharmaceuticals said its antibody cocktail was effective in preventing Covid-19 in people exposed to those infected with the new coronavirus.
  • Regeneron said it would discuss the interim results with U.S. health regulators to potentially expand the antibody cocktail’s current emergency use authorization.
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/26/reg...n-preventing-covid-infection-study-shows.html

So someone answer me this, wouldn't it make sense to get an antibody test first, as you may not need the shot?

In an optimized world, yep. In our world where the big goal is to vaccinate everything that moves, it would probably just delay and confuse things by putting one more hurdle in the way.

In an optimized world, yep. In our world where the big goal is to vaccinate everything that moves, it would probably just delay and confuse things by putting one more hurdle in the way.
And by "hurdle", you mean "science".

And by "hurdle", you mean "science".

What I mean is that we'd need to test and track 250 million people in addition to ultimately giving most of those same people two vaccinations. So, if we thought giving 250Mx2 vaccinations was tough, how about giving 250M tests, followed by 2x200M vaccinations? The scale is the issue, not to mention the added complexity of adding another step or two to the overall process.

What I mean is that we'd need to test and track 250 million people in addition to ultimately giving most of those same people two vaccinations. So, if we thought giving 250Mx2 vaccinations was tough, how about giving 250M tests, followed by 2x200M vaccinations? The scale is the issue, not to mention the added complexity of adding another step or two to the overall process.
Scale and complexity trump science every time.

how about just testing the people who want to be tested, rather than forcing both testing and vaccination?

Back