Couple of iThing question

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
1. What's the best anti-reflective screen for iPad pro? That actually works in direct sunlight
2. Is yoke mount the best option? If so, which one to get?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1. What's the best anti-reflective screen for iPad pro? That actually works in direct sunlight
2. Is yoke mount the best option? If so, which one to get?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

On your first question - I really like the MyGoFlight Armorglass anti glare protector.
I dont have a traditional yoke so no point of view on your second question.

I used my iPad Air until I broke it recently. I tried three different placements. The leg strap to make it a knee board and just holding it loose in the cockpit both failed for me because the total head movement to use it was too much and interfered with my flying. I like yoke mount. The head movement needed to see the couple of engine gauges that it obscured was much less than that to look down at my leg all the time. Others' opinions vary and you should try more than one option because there is no single best one.

I'm more of a fan of using the iDevice as a kneeboard rather than having a yoke mount, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Nothing.
Nothing is the most effective in an aircraft cockpit.
I even built a pair of wearable computer display glasses for my Android LG Tab, but even that didn't have the oomph to be visible in all light situations, and gave me a bad headache.
I may try to team up with an ophthalmologist to see if the problems can be corrected. I think the idea is a sound one, but my implementation was lacking.

My preference for a full size I-Pad is a RAM mount on the right side of the panel. I started with a yoke mount in front of the pilot and it covered up too much and made the controls heavier ( Cessna 210). I then tried it on the right side yoke, still not happy. Tried it on my lap and did not like having to look down that far during my scan and had trouble needing extra head movement to focus with my bifocals. The RAM mount on the right panel is easier to install and remove than the yoke mount and is always in the correct attitude with less reflection problems for me. Mounted a ball in one of the unused instrument cut outs, short extension works best for me. But I am thinking about getting a mini and using it on the pilot's yoke again as a second unit. First one has ForeFlight and then wireless display and input for my Avidyne 540 on a mini - or vice versa?

My preference for a full size I-Pad is a RAM mount on the right side of the panel. I started with a yoke mount in front of the pilot and it covered up too much and made the controls heavier ( Cessna 210). I then tried it on the right side yoke, still not happy. Tried it on my lap and did not like having to look down that far during my scan and had trouble needing extra head movement to focus with my bifocals. The RAM mount on the right panel is easier to install and remove than the yoke mount and is always in the correct attitude with less reflection problems for me. Mounted a ball in one of the unused instrument cut outs, short extension works best for me. But I am thinking about getting a mini and using it on the pilot's yoke again as a second unit. First one has ForeFlight and then wireless display and input for my Avidyne 540 on a mini - or vice versa?

that could possibly work. I was thinking about a flexible yoke mount on the co-pilot side. something like this - http://www.mygoflight.com/sport-mount-flex-yoke/ . anyone ever tried something like this? MyGoFlight has one that I is a suction mount, but I am not entirely sure how good the suction will hold during the bouncy phase

I stopped using a glare protector with my second iPad so can't help with that.

On mounts, it mostly depends on personal preference. I've used yokes, suction, kneeboard, and nothing. For VFR flight, nothing is just as good for me as anything else. For IFR flight, I prefer a yoke mount so it can remain in my line of sight.

It's actually quite similar to how I treated the paper version.

2) Ram yoke mount with spring clip holder.

http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ram-spring-loaded-ipad-1-4-cradle-with-yoke-mount.html

Have it, love it, would buy it 10 over times again...but I am using a Mini, not the Pro.
Exactly my setup. Changed only the small clips when I went from full size to Mini. I did add the Rotor View adaptor plate, http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-ROTO1U. Especially for the full size, and I would suspect the Pro, the ability to turn the tablet from portrait to landscape easily made a big difference in usability.

The RAM items I used for my iPad Air yoke mount were the X-Grip RAM-HOL-UN9U, Small Tough-Claw RAP-B-400U, and a straight arm, the length of which I don't recall right now but it's not terribly long. I tried the double socket swivel arm but found it had too much bounce for my tastes when the full-size iPad was hanging off of the end of it. I may try it again when I get my iPad Mini. I route the arm over the top of the yoke instead of underneath it both for added support and to avoid hitting my legs with it.

The advantage of the cherokee is that the mini fits perfectly within the yoke. I use the XGrip RAM-HOL-UN8BU with the short connector RAM-B-201U and the claw RAP-B-400U that fits on the yoke shaft. In landscape mode, I can see the entire panel. The only downside - the iPad is polarized for portrait mode, and I have polarized prescription sunglasses. Even at full bright, landscape is readable but still not quite as good as in portrait mode. Next version of the glasses will not be polarized.

The advantage of the cherokee is that the mini fits perfectly within the yoke. I use the XGrip RAM-HOL-UN8BU with the short connector RAM-B-201U and the claw RAP-B-400U that fits on the yoke shaft. In landscape mode, I can see the entire panel. The only downside - the iPad is polarized for portrait mode, and I have polarized prescription sunglasses. Even at full bright, landscape is readable but still not quite as good as in portrait mode. Next version of the glasses will not be polarized.
iPad Air works for me in portrait orientation.

Back