Countdown to Gastons

I put it at june 11th at 8:am since it does start on the 11th. Not sure what time but 8 sounded legit :D

I put a countdown on my Google homepage in January :)

We also need a 122.75 in-range map. It'd be cool to chat to other pilots from all over the place on the way to Gaston's. What's the range of 10W on 122.75 at, say, 10,000' like?

We also need a 122.75 in-range map. It'd be cool to chat to other pilots from all over the place on the way to Gaston's. What's the range of 10W on 122.75 at, say, 10,000' like?

Last year, as Dave and I diverged (he, to west Texas, I to dull ol' Dallas), I believe we were able to visit when at least 100NM apart.

Last year, as Dave and I diverged (he, to west Texas, I to dull ol' Dallas), I believe we were able to visit when at least 100NM apart.
Maybe we should add something to the fly-in directions: Monitor 122.75 at all times!

yeah, that was neat - near the 100mile mark, because I was going faster, I was beating your message broadcast speed, and could not hear everything you said. You could hear me fine because you were behind me, going slower! Little-known aviation doppler effect!

yeah, that was neat - near the 100mile mark, because I was going faster, I was beating your message broadcast speed, and could not hear everything you said. You could hear me fine because you were behind me, going slower! Little-known aviation doppler effect!

Well, somewhere, Dave has a picture of his Viking emerging from a Mach-cone....

Weird. How slow was Spike going? Like, 95 knots or so? :D

I've done air-to-air perfectly clear from over 100 nm apart, here in Pennsylvania, no less. I was up at 9500, I'm not sure of the altitude of the person I was talking to.

Generally I monitor 121.50 in the background unless I think a friend might be on air-to-air.

Range with VHF mostly depends on line-of-sight (there are other factors). A VHF signal will bend slightly which extends the line-of-sight (radio horizon). One could pretty easily calculate the line-of-sight.

120 nm + is no problem provided there is unobstructed line of sight (there would be at 10,000 feet) and the antenna(s) are appropriate.

Yeah. I talked to the guys in the Citabria that had to be 60 nm behind me.

I'm curious. Why 122.75? I'd rather use 123.45 and have Ron rag at me :nono::D.

Back